Julius Caesar Glamour Shot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, May 29, 2015.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

On the Alphabetical City Thread, I posted one of my oldest coins, a Julius Caesar Denarius and the image I posted was also a very old shot. So I thought I'd give JC a photo shoot to kinda update his appearance. First, the old image and second, the new glamorous Julius Caesar.
    Julius Caesar 1a.jpg Julius Caesar 1 OBV.jpg Julius Caesar 1 REV.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: COS.TERT.DICT.ITER. Head of Ceres right
    REVERSE: / AVGVR above, PONT.MAX. below. Simpulum, sprinkler, capis and lituus; M in right field
    Utica 46 BC
    2.7g, 17mm
    Syd 1024; Crawford 467/1b

C-B-D, Cucumbor, chrsmat71 and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I think the coin is cool! The second set of photos are much improved but a tad out of focus. Try laying the coin flat and adjusting the light according. What you have works, the details look great.

4. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Ya, what Masternnoob said, sweet coin jw.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Bing

I will re shoot tomorrow. Time for Bonzo to go to bed.

6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Bed, what its still day light here...:)

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Bonzo??? As...'It's bedtime for Bonzo' that Emmy-Award winning movie of a chimpanzee and co-starring that great actor our former President Ronnie Reagan???

Boy, and you say I must be old because I refer to a movie about James Cagney (Mr. Roberts)---but my movie was actually funny and good!!:smuggrin:

I think your second photo does show the true attributes of the coin---coloring etc...but just a tad blurry...I'll be reshooting coins from now to doomsday until I get them nearly how I want them to be---particularly mouse-less (as a stand to hold the coin up);)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    stevex6 likes this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

is the second shot closer to the "in hand" color of the coin bing?

i take probably 5 or 6 shots of each side (and maybe the same number outside under full sunlight if i can), even under similar conditions i can get very different colors. then i'll take the best ones and edit them in gimp for brightness and contrast to try to make them look better....and can still miss what the coin looks like in hand.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Nice coin for sure.

Are you using a newer camera because a lot of your old photos have a "glossy" look to them.

12. Bing

New? Well, yes, newer than the one used for the first image, but not "new". I have had it for a couple of years now.

Yes, the color is nearly that of the coin. I will take more pics today to see if I can get it in focus better. I was tired last night and everything looked focused to my tired eyes. I bought a lot of 43 coins from my local coin shop and spent two days attributing and cataloging so I can sell. JA and I are working together on this project. But in any case, that's my excuse for an unfocused image.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Let me know about those coins for sale when you are ready.

14. Bing

I just sent the entire lot to JA. We plan to offer them on CT first before listing on Ebay. There are some very nice ones as well as poorer quality in the lot, but wait to hear from JA.

15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I hope you guys can also reserve if I like a coin because my coin funds are completely depleted. lol

16. Bing

Actually, I'm leaving the selling to JA. He has experience doing so whereas I do not.

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I see. Well, I thought you done a good job when you were selling coins to me a few years ago.

18. Bing

The pertinent part of that is "a few years ago". I don't think I've sold a coin since. Anyways, JA and I have decided to offer to our fellow CTers first, so you will have a shot at them and I'm sure we can hold some for you. But again, JA will be making the calls.

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I think that's probably a good choice to have JA do it. If I'm interested, I will certainly ask him.

20. Bing

OK, I have tried several times to re-take the photo of this coin and most turn out slightly blurry and I do not know why. Regardless, here it is with a black background. What do you think?
    P5300001-1.jpg P5300002-1.jpg

stevex6, ro1974, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'll get them posted next week Gil, and you can have first dibs, along with anyone else at CT that might be interested. I'll send out a PM directing our regulars here to the Buy/Sell forum. And yes, we can reserve anything anybody wants, no worries.

Gil-galad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted