Julio-Claudian Sestertii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Dec 11, 2020.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Many years ago (about seventy) I set out to build a collection of Julio-Claudian sestertii (which weren’t exorbitantly expensive in those days). The coins I purchased then (at coin shows or local coin shops or from other collectors) were mostly in very good to very fine condition (I couldn’t afford those in higher grade). I have always liked Sestertii for their size and heft, and for the often elaborate depictions engraved on their substantial flans.

I adopted the following criteria as my collecting guide: reasonably smooth surfaces (natural patina - evidence of previous cleaning and blemishes acceptable within reason ); well centered on a round flan; complete, easily read, inscriptional lettering (legends); well documented historical association.

Of course, I wasn’t always able to find Sestertii that met those criteria in my price range, but I tried my best. In a few years I assembled a fairly comprehensive collection of pretty nice Julio-Claudian Sestertii. But that consumed just about all of my modest coin budget - it left me little cash for denarii, dupondii, asses, quadrans, etc. (and soon, Tetrarchic folles).

As often happens, I had to break up my specialized Sestertius collection in order to expand my Ancient coin collecting horizons. I still have a few of my favorite Julio-Claudian Sestertii. I still love to admire and fondle them - here they are:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CAIUS (CALIGULA), SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 51, 40-41AD, (35mm, 26.2gm)
    Obverse depiction: Personification of Pietas, seated left
    Obverse Inscription: C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG PM TRP IIII PP In exergue: PIETAS
    Reverse depiction: Caligula standing left holding patera over altar - attendants (victimarius) on either side holding bull for sacrifice - hexastyle temple of Divus Augustus festooned with garlands in background.
    Reverse Horizontal Inscription: {small lettering} DIVO AVG and below: S C (left and right)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, NERO, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 356, 66-67AD, (36mm, 24.8gm)
    BMCRE Vol. I, NERO, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 114, 66-67AD,
    Obverse depiction: Nero, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Personification of Roma seated left on cuirass
    resting elbow on shield and holding spear, helmet behind

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Sestertius, RIC, Vol. I, Tiberius, No. 68, AD 36-37 (35mm, 22.6gm)
    Cataloged in Wildwinds under Augustus - Sear 1784
    Coin obverse depiction: Augustus, radiate, togate, holding laurel branch in r. hand and long sceptre in l., seated on throne, placed on a car, drawn l. by four elephants, each bearing a mahout on its neck. The side of the car is ornamented with shields (?)
    Inscription across top in three lines DIVO AVGVSTO SPQR
    Coin reverse depiction: Large, centered S C
    Inscription clockwise from top: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST PM TR POT XXXIIX

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 112, 50-54AD (36mm, 28.2gm)
    Obverse depiction: Claudius, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Civic Oak Wreath
    Inscription in four lines:
    EX SC
    P P
    OB CIVES
    SERVATOS
    (within wreath)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 109, 42-43AD (38mm, 28.0gm)
    Obverse depiction: Nero Claudius Drusus (father of Claudius), bare head facing left
    Reverse depiction: Claudius seated left on curule chair holding olive branch,
    panoply of weapons and armor beneath
    Inscription: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG PM TRP IMP PP - S C in exergue

[​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 99 41-50 AD, (36mm, 25.3gm)

Obverse depiction: Claudius, bare neck laureate bust, facing right

Inscription clockwise from bottom: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG PM TRP IMP

Reverse depiction: Personification of Spes holding flower in right hand and demurely raising skirt with left hand

Inscription clockwise from bottom: SPES AVGVSTA - S C (exergue)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wonderful pieces of history.. great write up - Thank you!

All great - this one must be a wonder to hold in hand:
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 109, 42-43AD (38mm, 28.0gm)

jamesicus likes this.
  4. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Being fairly new to collecting ancient coins (<1 year), my collecting focus has been all over the map. My original intention was to acquire a few Roman emperors and call it "good" so-to-speak.

Well...

That strategy went to crap.:wacky:

After discovering the vast catalogue that is 'ancient coins', I've been on somewhat of a frenzied blitz this past year. I've been accumulating all sorts of types of Greek, Roman, and then some.

Now with a little time of collecting under my belt and many different coins in hand; I've now decided to focus on certain areas that I really enjoy. Unfortunately, many (in good to great condition) are out of my current chosen budget -- when it comes to procuring any single one coin(Looking @ you Greek AR:greedy:).

I've discovered that my favorite Roman coin denomination/type is the (Imperial)Sestertius. I believe that it's something that many ancient coin collectors can relate to; the heft and palette of a broad flan and how stimulating it is to the senses.

Among some of my most favored Sestertii to ogle are that of the Julio-Claudian era.

I recently acquired my first; with the intention and hope to acquire more going forward.

It has become one of the most prized ancient coins in my modest collection.

Thanks for showing yours.

[​IMG]
    Nero Claudius Drusus. Died 9 BC. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. 36mm, 28.05 g. Struck under Claudius, AD 42-54.
    O: Bare head left
    R: Claudius seated left on curule chair, holding branch and scroll; below, weapons and armor on either side of globe.
    RIC I 109 (Claudius)

5. jamesicus

I enjoyed this lead-off story @Herodotus - typical introduction to Ancient coin collecting.

Great choices.

You are welcome.

Yours is a nice coin - one of my favorite Julio-Claudian Sestertii. I think it has some of the most beautiful inscriptional lettering of any Sestertii.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Pellinore and Herodotus like this.
  6. jamesicus

I lightened up the the pic of the Claudius RIC No 109 sestertius in my original post to show the details better. Here is a more natural photo of that coin:

97B7915F-9C61-4E5C-89F9-BA559E8018F4.png

Tony1982, PeteB, Marsyas Mike and 6 others like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

jamesicus likes this.
  8. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

They sure are impressive. And good ones are in high demand, and yield a high premium. Heres my only one so far, acquired early this year:
    8.3.png

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

jamesicus, It looks like you kept the right ones :smuggrin:. You have an excellent representation of early sestertii. I like high grade coins, so early sestertii were way out of my budget :(. No doubt, the finest artwork in Roman coins was done on these early sestertii :happy:.

jamesicus likes this.
  10. jamesicus

Very true @Limes. Your coin is a beauty! What an impressive patina - thank you for posting it.

11. jamesicus

Thank you Al. I always enjoy seeing the high grade coins you post. High grade Sestertii are indeed pricey these days. Of course, I swore off buying any more coins a couple of years ago - but we know how that goes when you encounter a choice coin that captures your fancy! :)

12. jamesicus

I am a sucker for sestertius with green patina. I no longer own the following coin - I now have regrets for letting it go.

[​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 112, 50-54AD, (35.7mm, 27.9gm)

Reverse depiction: Civic Oak Wreath
    EX SC
    P P
    OB CIVES
    SERVATOS. (within wreath)

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wonderful collection of Sestertii, @jamesicus ! Fun to look at. Super!

I have very few Sestertii. Not by design, just by default as I collected. Never really focused there, rather, if there was a denomination I favored, it was a DOUBLE-Sestertius... oh, I mean a Quinarius!

A Sestertius of mine...

upload_2020-12-12_12-24-8.png
    RI Pertinax 193 BC AE Sestertius rome mint LAETITIA RIC 17 C 21

Tony1982, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  14. jamesicus

[​IMG][​IMG]

CLAUDIUS SESTERTIUS, TITUS RESTORATION ISSUE, 80-81 AD
    (34.5mm, 23.12 gm)

BMCRE Volume II, Rome, Titus No. 297 (pl. 56.1)
    RIC Volume II (1962 Edition), Rome, Titus, No. 234
    RIC Volume II, Part 1 (second edition), Titus, No. 472 (Sear No. 2601)

Reverse depiction: Personification of Spes holding flower
    in right hand and demurely raising skirt with left hand

Clickable links:

Sear Roman Coins and their Values (RCV 2000 Edition) Number 2601 (via Wildwinds Claudius)

Sale: CNG, Triton XII, Lot: 555 (5 January 2009) - this coin

Tony1982, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  15. jamesicus

Very nice @Alegandron old friend. Thanks for the post. Good to read your sharp wit again.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

:) Thank you...

17. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

Some really beautiful coins there I really love these big sestertii, I don’t have any earlier than my sole Nero though ;
    D6ABB829-E21A-4AC3-9060-5F7ED64C0B42.jpeg

Nero sestertius Rome mint c65 AD RIC 277

NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P Laureate head right, aegis on left shoulder.

Roma seated left atop cuirass and shield, holding Victory S C at sides, ROMA in exergue.

Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted