Julio-Claudian Family Tree

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cherd, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I've been putting together a "Julio-Claudian Family Tree" diagram to serve as a visual aid for people while I tell them about my coins. I thought some of you might find it interesting, suggest improvements, or point out any errors or omissions that I might have made.

I tried to include a comprehensive list of associated people with bust coins from Julius Caesar through Nero, that is why Lepidus and Claudius Macer are dangling off to the sides. The names in color are people for which coins were minted, with Gold indicating a leader (Dictator, Emperor), Green indicating non-leaders that I intend to have in my collection, and Red indicating coins that I do not expect to have in my collection.

If I've missed anyone that had a Roman coin issued during this time period, or if I'm missing any relationships that should be included then please let me know. Also, I'm aware that the tree is incomplete (children, siblings, etc missing), as it was designed specifically around those with coins and those that are important to the stories.

Enjoy the spaghetti bowl! It was a lot more difficult than I was expecting to fit and organize everything into a reasonable space!

image001.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Fascinating! But: "Hunched each other"? Must be a slang term from the South that I've never heard!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    GinoLR, octavius, Cherd and 2 others like this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That's quite an undertaking. I feel overwhelmed just looking at it--can't imagine trying to put it all together.

The only suggestion I can offer is that you might try putting successive spouses in chronological order so that, for example, Scribonia is higher up than Livia.

Also, didn't Tiberius divorce Vispania and marry Julia?

Cherd likes this.
  5. Cherd

It initially said "Married", but there were a handful of couplings in there that didn't involve marriage, so I figured it'd make sense to call it something else. "Had sex" seemed a bit bland, and it seemed like a good opportunity to go for some humor, so I picked the fairly innocent "Hunched".

I actually grew up in Indiana, so if it's something that people haven't heard of then maybe it was a "midwestern thing". It may have also been a temporal thing as well, as it was popular during my childhood and teenage years (80's-90's), but I don't hear it much anymore. In any case, I figured people would figure out what it meant :woot:

I initially tried to put them in chronological order from left to right, but ended up having to sacrifice that type of indicator to ensure that subsequent pairings between offspring would align. I didn't think about using vertical positioning indicators though. That's a good idea, I'll give it a shot!

Correct. I was going to try to force it in there, but I wasn't sure how to do it because that part of the tree is already super spaghetti bowled. They also didn't have any offspring, so it didn't seem that important. But, now that you bring it up, it does seem entertaining enough to try and include on it's own merits. I mean, how many people are forced to divorce the wife that they love in order to marry the wife's stepmom, who also happens to be a stepsister, that they hate?!

I think it can work if I switch Julia and Attica around. But unfortunately, there's no way to have Vipsania vertically above Julia, so the vertical indicator of chronology would have to be sacrificed. Incest and intergenerational hunching makes for really difficult family trees! :(

DonnaML likes this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Taken together, these two statements are problematic. If you try to include Julia now, your diagram would cover several pages.

Cherd likes this.
  7. Cherd

Ya, when you get exiled because Augustus and Tiberius think that you are too promiscuous........You must have been REALLY promiscuous!!! :nailbiting:

8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a "right" way to assemble this spaghetti bowl of a dynasty - it must have been confusing even for the ancient Romans!

If you want to go even further down the rabbit hole on these...

Tiberius Claudius Nero was Tiberius' grandfather
    Tiberius Claudius Nero AR denarius 79 BC Diana Biga Tiberius grandfather.jpg

Lucius Julius Caesar was the grandfather of Mark Antony, and I think a second cousin twice removed to Julius Caesar?
    L Julius Caesar AR Denarius 101 BC.jpg

Marcius Philippus was Augustus' stepfather
    Lucius marcius philippus denarius 56bc.jpg

Asinius Gallus was Vipsania's second husband, and claimed paternity over Drusus (minor) for a time. They had prominent children who mostly fell victim to the intrigues of the Imperial family
    Asinius Gallus dionysus temnos aeolis.jpg

Quinctilius Varus married another daughter of Agrippa, but little is known about their marriage which seems to have ended in divorce possibly with a child or two
    P Quinctilius Varus AE30 Achulla Augustus Gaius Lucius.jpg

Fabius Maximus married Augustus' step sister (daughter of Marcius Philippus)
    Fabius Maximus Hierapolis Phrygia Theokritos .jpg

Drusus had twin boys, Tiberius and Germanicus. Germanicus died in infancy, but Tiberius survived into the early reign of Caligula.
    Tiberius and Germanicus Gemellus AE Sestertius sons of Drusus.jpg

After the death of Drusus, Tiberius adopted Germanicus' older brothers, Nero and Drusus
    Tiberius with Nero and Drusus Caesars Carthago Nova.jpg

Julia the Elder doesn't appear on many coins, but she can be found Julia the Elder and Livia Pergamum mysia.jpg

Marcus Antonius Polemo II was a client king and great-grandson of Mark Antony who was smack in the middle of everything - in addition to being the cousin of most of the dynasty, he also was briefly a member of the Herodian dynasty of Judea, and then married into the Emesan royal priest family, *possibly* making him the ancestor of Julia Domna and Julia Maesa
    Marcus Antonius Polemo II high priest Cilicia Olba.jpg

GinoLR, DonnaML, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  9. osdet

osdet Active Member

Hi Finn235,
    I posted a similar setup awhile back. I had to leave out certain offspring and relationships to make things fit. I am collecting copper and brass coinage (when I can afford them) of portraits. Att. is a photo of my display which hangs on the wall. The coins can be removed and handled. The date 69CE should read 68CE (old age mistake). I like your setup - well done!
    Thomas

[​IMG]

10. Cherd

WOW!! I honestly thought that I had compiled a complete list of people with coins over this time period. I figured that I might have omitted a person, or maybe two, but would never have thought there was a chance that I had managed to overlook 12!!

I was actually under the impression that I had put together a comprehensive list of people with coins from Caesar through Theodosius I. If I'm missing 12 in the Julio-Claudian Dynasty alone, then who knows how many I am missing in total :rolleyes:

I figured I'd make a visual aid for my coins, but it didn't occur to me to make the coins themselves the visual aid. Fantastic!

11. PMah

PMah Member

A topic near to my heart! Don't predict your future acquisitions too negatively! You never know who you will find. Perhaps the major challenge is finding Aelius Sejanus, Praetorian prefect whose name appears on one provincial coin, who was allegedly paramour of Livilla, sister of Claudius and Germanicus and mother of the twins by Drusus Caesar. So does Postumus Agrippa, somewhat debated. Caligula's brothers, Nero and Drusus, appear as equestrian statues on an imperial issue that can be pricey, but can be readily found in recognizable form. Claudia Antonia, daughter of Claudius, appears with her siblings on a provincial coin, not easy but not impossible. Even Fulvia appeared on a quinarius, somewhat debated, which is hard to find in nice condition but which comes up consistently in lower grade. And there are more if you go back further into the Republic. I am still one person/coin I mentioned short of that roster, drives me crazy when I miss it.

Cherd and DonnaML like this.
  12. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I spent more than half a century in Indiana and although I can sling Hoosierisms with the best of them, I don't recall ever having heard "hunch" used as a verb. Granted, it's a wildly popular topic - especially in Indiana - and not so surprising, I suppose, that I might have missed one expression among dozens. Wonderful what one can learn here! :D

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Cherd likes this.
  13. Cherd

I grew up in Newburgh, which is a suburb of Evansville, which is immediately across the Ohio River from Kentucky. There's a possibility that I had some extra-Indiana influences! :joyful:

14. Cherd

@Finn235 and @PMah , thanks a lot for the input. I've been going through the information that you've provided, and I think that I've made some progress in getting things sorted out.

One thing that I probably didn't make clear, the "List of people with coins" that I'm putting together for myself is limited to those that actually had their likeness portrayed on a bust coin. Of those that have been mentioned, so far as I can tell, they break down like this:

No bust coins: Tiberius Claudius Nero, Lucius Julius Caesar, Marcius Philippus, Fabius Maximus, Marcus Antonius, Aelius Sejanus

Miniaturized busts: Tiberius and Germanicus (Ones that died young), Nero and Drusus (Adopted by Tiberius)

Bust coins that you guys have mentioned: Asinius Gallus, Quinctilius Varus, Julia the Elder, Polemo II, Agrippa Postumus

Additional busts I found while researching above: Vespasian Junior (adopted by Domitian), Poppaea (wife of Nero)

Have I missed or miscategorized anything here? Thanks again for the input!

15. Finn235

It might be easier to break it down by issuing authority

Pre-Imperial
    * As mentioned previously, the Julii, the Caesares, and the Claudii were all patrician gens, so it should be no surprise that various Republican moneyers are related to one or more emperors.

Julius Caesar
    Julius caesar lifetime denarius macer sear 1414.jpg

Pompey, legally Caesar's son in law as he married Julia - This common-ish issue from Soloi-Pompeiopolis has variously been attributed to being a lifetime issue from the 60s BC, or possibly as late as the Flavian era - regardless, it does show Pompey the Great
    Pompey the great AE soloi-pompeiopolis .jpg

Pompey's sons Gnaeus and Sextus (no coins, but also I don't think either put their own likeness on coinage)

Marcus Antonius had pretty prolific coinage, mine also has Octavia, his 4th wife and Octavian's sister
    Marcus Antonius Octavia tetradrachm.jpg

And his earlier 3rd wife, Fulvia
    Fulvia AR quinarius under Antony Lugdunum.jpg

His brother Lucius also issued coins which are fairly rare, so none to show for now.

And Cleopatra VII I feel needs to be included, as she "hunched" with both Caesar and Antony, and had children by both
    Cleopatra VII AE 80 Drachmae.jpg

Her son by Julius, Caesarion has coins that can be attributed to his reign with Cleopatra, but IIRC there are no coins in his likeness, and maybe only a statue or two.

Her two sons by Antony probably died without issue in their teens, but Cleopatra Selene II went on to marry king Juba II, and their children and grandchildren went on to play important roles in the mid-1st century politics of Roman annexation and expansion.

As previously mentioned, another prominent member of Antony's line was Polemo II, who was a grandson of Antonia, Antony's daughter from his second marriage (not to be confused with Antonia, the mother of Claudius)
    Marcus Antonius Polemo II high priest Cilicia Olb.jpeg

Johndakerftw, Cherd and Bing like this.
  16. Finn235

Octavian's family -

The big man himself
    Augustus cistophoric tetradrachm hippocamp.jpg

His wife Livia and daughter Julia the Elder
    Julia the Elder and Livia Pergamum mysia.jpg

Julia married Agrippa
    Augustus Agrippa Nemausus gaul croc.jpg

Their sons Gaius
    Gaius Caesar Hierapolis phrygia Lynkeus.jpg

Lucius (finding him by himself is an extremely tough feat, by the way!)
    Lucius Caesar antioch ad meandrum.jpg

And Agrippa Postumus (no coins, but they are out there)

Augustus also kept his closest advisors closer by marrying them to his inner circle

Asinius Gallus was married to Vipsania when Tiberius was forced to divorce her
    Asinius Gallus dionysus temnos aeolis.jpg

Fabius Maximus was married to Augustus' sister in law (and this coin is believed to portray Maximus himself)
    Fabius Maximus Hierapolis Phrygia Theokritos .jpg

Varus was married to Agrippa's daughter Vipsania Marcella
    P Quinctilius Varus AE30 Achulla Augustus Gaius Lucius.jpg

E to add: Of the moneyers, a fun tidbit is that M Salvius Otho is believed to be the future emperor's grandfather
    Augustus AE As Moneyer series M Salvius Otho.jpg

Cherd, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  17. Finn235

Tiberius' family
    Tiberius AE As 22 AD.jpg

First up is mommy dearest - probably more than half of Livia's coinage can be dated to Tiberius' reign
    Macedon Thessalonica Tiberius Livia.jpg

His first pair of caesars were his son Drusus
    Drusus caesar AE as.jpg

And Germanicus
    Germanicus with Drusus Lydia Sardes.jpg

Drusus' issue included his twin boys Germanicus and Tiberius
    Tiberius and Germanicus Gemellus AE Sestertius sons of Drusus.jpg

And his Pietas - which could be Livia, his mother Vipsania, or his wife Livilla - or just plain old Pietas
    Livilla Dupondius wife of drusus pietas.jpg

After the death of Germanicus in 19 and Drusus in 23, Tiberius first turned to Germanicus' sons Nero and Drusus (error in my post - I meant to say Germanicus' sons and Caligula's older brothers!)
    Tiberius with Nero and Drusus Caesars Carthago Nova.jpg

When they were exiled and put to death by the machinations of Sejanus, Tiberius then adopted Caligula
    Tiberius and Caligula Caesar AE As Carthago Nova.jpg

And his surviving grandson, Tiberius Gemellus (although the attribution of this coin may have been debunked since I purchased it :( )
    Tiberius gemellus AE philadelphia lydia.jpg

Johndakerftw, Cherd and Bing like this.
  18. corvusconstantius

corvusconstantius Active Member

My collection starts as Nerva so I don't have any Julio-Claudian's to offer. I appreciate your attempt at the family tree. It's quite funny how impossible it is to make a tidy diagram for such a messed up bunch.

Cherd likes this.
  19. Finn235

Caligula

Caligula ae as vesta.jpg

Some of his issues feature his sister's, most famously the "three sisters sestertius" which is well above my price bracket unless I get a massive raise or bonus!

His wife Caesonia may be "Salus" on this Iberian coin
    Caligula Caesonia AE carthago nova.jpg

On an extremely rare provincial from Judaea, Caesonia is presented by name, along with their daughter Julia Drusilla (no example and I'm unlikely to ever acquire one!)

Caligula also chose to honor his grandfather Agrippa
    Marcus Agrippa as Neptune by caligula.jpg

His older brothers (very rough example with only one visible)
    Nero et Drusus posthumous lowball.jpg

And his father Germanicus and mother Agrippina I
    Germanicus and Agrippina aezanis phrygia posthumous.jpg
    (They also exist in Imperial coins separately)

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  20. Finn235

Claudius' family

Claudius Cistophoric tetradrachm ROM ET AVG COM ASI.jpg

Like Caligula, he issued prolifically for deceased family members like

His mother Antonia
    Antonia mother of claudius.jpg

His father Nero Claudius Drusus (who did not appear on coinage until this point)
    Nero claudius drusus sestertius.jpg

His brother Germanicus
    Germanicus AE as under claudius.jpg

Then there's his infamous 3rd wife Messalina
    Messalina wife of Claudius AE Aiolis zeus.jpg

His son Britannicus
    Aeolis Aigiae Britannicus Caesar.jpg

Britannicus with his sisters Antonia and Octavia (Antonia only appears on this hideous provincial from Cyzicus)
    Britannicus Octavia Antonia AE .jpg

Purportedly at some point Tiberius Claudius Drusus, a son from an earlier marriage
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/to...pc_i_2425_extremely_rare/1399988/Default.aspx

Then after he had Messalina executed, his niece/wife Agrippina II (barf)
    Agrippina AE16 aezanis phrygia.jpg

And his adoptive son Nero
    Nero as Caesar didrachm Antioch priestly implements.jpg

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  21. Finn235

Finally Nero
    Nero denarius ivppiter cvstos.jpg

His cousin/first wife Octavia
    Nero Octavia tet Alexandria.jpg

His beloved second wife Poppaea whom he also killed
    Nero Poppaea tet Alexandria.jpg

There is also a scarce-ish coin of Diva Poppaea with their stillborn child Claudia (missing that one)

And the rare issues of his third wife, Statillia Messalina (was hoping to snag one of the two that just closed @Leu, but got blown out of the water)

Cherd, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted