Julian II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collecting Nut, May 17, 2022.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

AD 369-363 Spes (Hope)
    Cyzicus Mint
    7C566CCF-4BBD-4C50-B890-2BFBDD9E44B5.jpeg F6FDC746-056E-4ACF-A52A-EF4BE098C4F0.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Good details on the rev... I think. Super blurry :(

Inspector43 and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Bad day for me to be taking photos.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice OP coin! Taking photos under more light or daylight can reduce blur. Low light usually means a longer shutter speed and more likelihood for blurring. Also, you may need to give a bit more distance between the camera lens and the coin so the camera can focus better.

Here’s a not great photo of my best Julian Spes coin.
    JulianIIRIC402.jpg
    Julian II - Siscia - RIC VIII 402

…and a Constantius II version for completeness:
    ConstantiusIIRIC117.jpg
    Constantius II - Cyzicus -
    RIC VIII 117

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Julian_II_2.png
    JULIAN II
    Siliqua
    OBVERSE: FL CL IVLIA-NVS PP AVG, rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: VOTIS V MVLTIS X in four lines within wreath. Mintmark SLVG
    Struck at Lyons 360-363 A.D
    1.7g, 16mm
    RIC VIII Lyons 227 var (bust type); RSC 163b var (ditto); Sear 4071 var (ditto).
    Julian II 6.jpg
    JULIAN II
    AE3
    OBVERSE: D N FL CL IVLI-ANVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding spear in right hand and shield in left hand
    REVERSE: VOT / X / MVLT / XX in four lines within wreath. Mintmark: CVZ Gamma
    Struck at Cyzicus 361-3 AD
    3.3g, 20mm
    RIC 130

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

This is my only coin of Julian II, but it's a nice one :D.

2491172-015, AK Collection (2).jpg

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I also have a Julian double majorina, yes a common coin but I find the patina quite pleasing. I also like the reverse with the APIS bull or Taurus. Probably Taurus...

Excerpt from Ammianus Marcellinus, Liber XXV on Julian upon his deathbed

Meanwhile, all who were present wept, whereupon even then maintaining his authority, he chided them, saying that it was unworthy to mourn for a prince who was called to union with heaven and the stars. As this made them all silent, he himself engaged with the philosophers Maximus and Priscus in an intricate discussion about the nobility of the soul. Suddenly the wound in his pierced side opened wide, the pressure of the blood checked his breath, and after a draught of cold water for which he had asked, in the gloom of midnight he passed quietly away in the thirty-second year of his age.

According to Eusebius, his last words were "Thou hast conquered, Galilean." e.g. Christ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  9. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Bronze coin (AE 3) minted at Heraclea during the reign of Julian II, as Caesar, between 361 - 363 A.D. Obv. D.N.FL.CL.IVLI-ANVS.P.F.AVG. Helmeted, cuirassed, bust l., spear across right shoulder. Rev. VOT.X.MVLT.XX. in laurel-wreath. RCS #4074. RICVIII #105 pg.438. DVM #28. JUA-300 OBV.jpg JUA-300 REV.jpg

10. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Bronze coin (AE 3) minted at SIS during the reign of Julian II, as Caesar between 355 - 360 A.D. Obv. D.N.IVLIANVS.NOB. C. Bareheaded, draped & cuirassed bust r. Rev. FEL.TEMP. REPARATIO. Soldier advancing l., spearing fallen horseman. RCS #4063. DVM #26
    upload_2022-5-18_20-22-59.png upload_2022-5-18_20-23-22.png

Johndakerftw, Bing and DonnaML like this.
  11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

@Collecting Nut, I agree that you probably took your photos from way too close, and/or your hand wasn't steady, and that's why they're so blurry. Next time, try it from a couple of feet away, and make sure that the coin is in focus when you look through the viewfinder, and that your hand or the camera is resting on something (even a stack of books or the back of a chair) to steady it when you take the photo. After you take the photo, as long as the coin appears to be in focus in it, it will probably still be in focus after you crop it.

Here are my three Julian II's, with the fourth one, a siliqua from the Vale of Pewsey hoard sale held the other day, on its way.

upload_2022-5-18_22-32-55.jpeg

upload_2022-5-18_22-31-2.jpeg

upload_2022-5-18_22-31-34.jpeg

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  13. Collecting Nut

Sometimes my hands are not steady. My father had Parkinson’s Disease and at time I wonder if I’m in the very early stage of it. I hope not as I’m too young, at least to me.

Clavdivs likes this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I hope not too, but it seems to me that that makes it all the more important to rest either your hands or the camera itself on something when you're taking a photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted