Julian II Alexandria coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Rossw74, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rossw74

Rossw74 New Member

I recently bought a box of coins and found this coin. I had found a website with the details of this exact coin but have since not been able to find it again. I know it’s julian II minted in Alexandria but can’t find the “KVLT” or “ALEB” part of the coin.
    Thinking this may be fake?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Probably NOT fake at all. The legend reads MVLT, not KVLT and ALE B just means the second officina (first was A) in Alexandria.

Here's one from Antioch:

Julian II.jpg
    Julian II, 361-363.
    Roman Silvered AE 3 Centenionalis; 3.16 g. 18.3 mm.
    Antioch mint, AD 362-363.
    Obv: D N FL CL IVLIANVS P F, helmeted and cuirassed bust, left, holding spear and shield.
    Rev: VOT X MVLT XX, legend within wreath; in exergue: ANTA between two palm fronds.
    Refs: RIC 220; Cohen 151; RCV 19181; LRBC 2642.

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Welcome to the Julian club. I think mine is Constantinople mint based on what little there is left of the mint mark

Ce7PDKd3q5YXQfG4o6zTGE2p6wX9kH.jpg

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't think so. It's a fine looking example even though the image looks like "KVLT". @Roman Collector has it right I believe. "MVLT"

Jims Coins and Rossw74 like this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Julian II, AE3 Alexandria, AD 360-363. DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG, Helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield / VOT X MVLT XX in four lines within wreath. Mintmark palm branch-ALEB-palm branch. RIC VIII Alexandria 91.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/julian_II/t.html

7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Here's mine from Alexandria
    JulianIIRIC91.jpg

8. Rossw74

Rossw74 New Member

Ah I see it reading MVLT now, thank you for your help, I’m relieved now that it is (possibly) a real coin. It’s my first Julian II coin. I’ve actually been to the Alexandria roman ruins so it’s great to have a coin to go with it.

9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I finally got a Julian early this year - my only one. The portraits on these are often quite impressive.

Julian II Apostate AE Jan 2019 (0).jpg

Julian II the Apostate Æ 20
    (361-363 A.D.)
    Sirmium Mint

D N FL CL IVLI-ANVS P F AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding spear forward and shield decorated with aegis / VOT/X/MVLT/XX in four lines within wreath; ASIRM
    RIC VIII Sirmium 108
    (3.50 grams / 20 mm)

Andres2, Jims Coins, Bing and 3 others like this.
  10. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I am on the lookout for a nice Alexandrian one of these but haven't managed to track one down that I like. I have an example from Lugdunum which I have added here just for style comparison mint by mint given that some other mints have been illustrated.

[​IMG]

I did manage to get a sharp Sirmium example last year too.

[​IMG]

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

12. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here is a Julian II, minted in Heraclea. nice beard. JUA-300 OBV.jpg JUA-300 REV.jpg

Andres2, Bing and Rossw74 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted