Julia Soaemias AE 21mm of Sebaste in Samaria

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, Jun 1, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This coin is an impulse purchase, fueled by a price markdown, which took the price from stratospheric to somewhere at cruising altitude for most airliners. But the reverse is really nice for this type, and the story is of the reverse is one rooted in Greek mythology.

This story is, as can be seen in the photo below, the abduction of Persephone by Hades. The coin is from Sebaste, located in ancient Samaria. It has Julia Soaemias, the mother of Emperor Elagabalus on the obverse.

upload_2020-6-1_17-7-19.jpeg

In terms of condition, the coin is a nice Fine, but I find the rough "hoard" surfaces also very appealing, and the strike is very good given such a small flan.

I've noticed that other emperors issued coins with the Persephone and Hades theme; what other examples are out there?

Roman Empire, 218-222 AD
    JUDAEA
    Sebaste in Samaria
    Julia Soaemias Bassiana (180 – 222 AD)
    Æ 21mm (9.50 g)
    SVAEMIAS AVGVSTA SEB, Draped bust right.
    / COL. L. SEP. SEBASTE, "The Abduction of Persephone" Hades in galloping quadriga right, carrying Persephone in his right arm; Eros flying right above, overturned cista mystica below horses.
    Choice Fine with olive-brown patina with earthen highlights.
    Sear GIC 3218; B.M.C.27.81,18
    Very scarce with nearly full quadriga visible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eparch, dlhill132, Pishpash and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow, that IS a nice example, @robinjojo ! These coins typically come on flans that are too tiny for the dies and it's unusual to find a complete quadriga. Here's my example of the coin, sadly, much of it off the dumpy little flan:

[​IMG]
    Julia Soaemias, AD 218-222
    Roman provincial Æ 21.4 mm, 10.97 g
    Samaria, Sebaste, AD 218-222
    Obv: SVAMIAS AVGVSTA SEB, bare-headed and draped bust right
    Rev: COL L SEBAS-TE, Hades in galloping quadriga right abducting Persephone, Eros above
    Refs: Rosenberger 34; BMC 18.

dlhill132, zumbly, robinjojo and 5 others like this.
  4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Both coins have an earthy, dark patina. I wonder if they came out of a hoard.
    This type is pretty rare.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great coin! I love mythological types like this one. Mine is on a pseudo-autonomous issue.

Phrygia - Hierapolis Abduction of Persephone.jpg
    PHRYGIA, Hierapolis. Pseudo-autonomous issue
    AE29. 12.36g, 29.1mm. PHRYGIA, Hierapolis, circa AD 2nd-3rd centuries. RPC Online 2045; SNG Cop 428. O: IЄPAΠOΛЄI-TΩN, head of youthful Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath. R: The Abduction of Persephone: Hades in galloping quadriga right, carrying off struggling Persephone.

eparch, dlhill132, robinjojo and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted