Julia Mamaea sestertius with a cool old collector's tag

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I don't know who owned this coin before me, but somewhere along the way it was purchased from Seaby's in 1962. This old collector's tag is interesting -- the collector used Cohen numbers (not RIC or BMCRE) as a reference and there are some markings and other numbers I don't understand. Does anyone recognize which collector might have written the tag?

Post your coins with old tags, Julia Mamaea sestertii, or anything you feel is relevant!

Mamaea IVNO AVGVSTAE sestertius Seaby tag.jpg
    Mamaea IVNO AVGVSTAE sestertius.jpg
    Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 15.70 g, 27.4 mm, 12 h.
    Rome mint, 6th officina, 13th emission, 1st phase, AD 231.
    Obv: IVLIA MAMA-EA AVGVSTA, Bust of Julia Mamaea, draped and diademed, right.
    Rev: IVNO AVGVSTAE, Juno seated left, holding flower in extended right hand and swaddled infant on left arm.
    Refs: RIC 683; BMCRE 759-760; Cohen 33; RCV 8230; Banti 9; ERIC II 54.

Orielensis, Andres2, zumbly and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a pleasing example. Nice addition, RC.

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

This is a worn coin coin, but my oldest tag (inventoried 20. August 1877)

tag.jpg

RIC 3, p.414, 410? - Commodus, Minerva, Sestertius
    Commodus
    Sestertius, Rom
    Obv.: ...MODVS AN...., Laureate head of Commodus right;
    Rev.: ....., Minerva advancing right brandishing javelin and holding shield.
    AE, 20.96g, 28mm
    Ref.: possibly RIC III 410
    Ex collection Gevers Deynoot

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's a Victorinus ant with old envelope.

victorinus1.jpg

victorinus2.jpg

victorinus3.jpg

Dr. W. Wruck, either ex his collection or the dealer in Berlin

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Roman Collector, Looks like you scored a handsome sestertius regardless who the previous owner was. It would be great if you could trace it back to Seaby's. I scored a nice looking sestertius of Julia Mamaea this year too :D. See photos below. Rome Mint, 9th emission of Severus Alexander, AD 228, 23.88 gm, 29 mm, 12h. RIC IV 676.

Julia Mamaea AD 228 (2).jpg

Jwt708, Roman Collector, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  7. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

zumbly and Roman Collector like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Wow! That's lovely! Here's my FELICITAS PVBLICA standing one.

Mamaea FELICITAS PVBLICA standing sestertius.jpg

Wow! Thanks! That's very helpful. I take it that the tag was from the Seaby company itself. How much did it sell for -- 21 pounds or 21 shillings? Because 21 pounds in 1962 was a lot of money!

I also think it's bizarre that Seaby would use Cohen instead of RIC or BMCRE6.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  9. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Shillings for sure - £1 1s -- the equivalent today would be about £22

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Neat! I have an old tag for a coin provenanced to a Seaby sale in 1965 (where it was purchased for a whopping £8!). The handwriting on it is the same as the one on your tag. I'm guessing they were both Seaby tags.

Corinth - AR Stater First one tag Seaby.jpg Corinth - AR Stater Thessalian Helmet 166 new.jpg
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    AR Stater. 8.58g, 21.4mm. CORINTHIA, Corinth, circa 375-300 BC. BCD Corinth 115; Pegasi 402. O: Pegasos flying left, qoppa below. R: Head of Athena left, wearing Corinthian helmet; A below chin, Thessalian helmet behind.
    Ex Demetrios Armounta Collection (with old tag indicating purchase from Seaby on 10/8/65 for £8).

11. Roman Collector

How cool is that! The same handwriting on our tags strongly suggests they are both Seaby tags and both written by the same employee of the firm.

£8 in 1965 → £153.62 in 2019, according to this calculator. And £1.05 (my coin) in 1962 → £22.22 in 2019. The coins would have been decent investments if held onto by a single owner since the 1960s.

zumbly likes this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I suppose if one bought coins in the 1960's they would have appreciated quite nicely in value since then.

13. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Seems to me the coin descriptions on your tag and @zumbly ’s tag we’re both written by the same employee at Seaby and the “BA Seaby” note on the reverse (and pencil notes?) were written by the same collector. Two distinct handwriting styles.

Draft saved Draft deleted