Julia Domna Tetradrachm & Group Shot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Been awhile since I was able to acquire a new ancient coin and it's nice feeling.

My newest coin happens to be a fairly rare Julia Domna Tetradrachm. I can't say I won this for a song, but I did big aggressively & ended up getting it for much lower then I expected.

It seems these do tend to have some rough surfaces, from the few I found. I did find several fakes of the type but none had the "A beneath eagle’s head", as this does, plus it feels and looks good in-hand.

I also included a group shot of all my Julia Domna coins since I never do group photos like many others do.

domtet.jpg
    Julia Domna (193 - 217 A.D.)
    SELEUCIS and PIERIA, Emesa
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: OULIA AUGOUSTA, Draped bust right, wearing stephane.
    R: DHMARC EX OUSIAS, Eagle standing facing, head and tail left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; between legs, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Shamash left; A beneath eagle’s head.
    10.42g
    26mm
    Prieur 949

Rare

Pending Wildwinds Publishing

IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Jay GT4, Edessa, Marsman and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Mat, Great score, provincial Tets of Julia Domna are indeed rare :jawdrop:! If a high grade example ever came on the market I'd take out a loan to buy it :smuggrin:. It's surprising that Septimius Severus never had her depicted on a Syrian Tet o_O, although I believe the two are depicted on very rare Alexandrian Tets. Your coin was obviously struck under the late reign of Caracalla, & shows the debased metal typical of his "war tetradrachms". I was very lucky to put together a family group of Philip I coins from the collection of Michel Prieur. The Tet of Otacilia Severa is pictured in Prieur's book & the other two are pictured in McAlee's book :D.

Philip I, OtaciliaSevera, Philip II.jpg

Cucumbor, Jay GT4, Edessa and 15 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice Mat :)

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are wonderful.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very cool Set @Mat ! Congrats on the capture. Well done. I like her portrayal. Interesting expression.

I believe that 'A' under the Eagle's head stands for 'Alegandron'. Just a thought. :)

7. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is interesting that the reverse for Julia used the offices of Caracalla ΔHMARX EΞ YΠATOC TO Δ (including the delta for 4th Consulship). I wonder if there are Caracalla coins that die link to this one.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Caracalla used the same reverse die as Prieur 953 (Rare) & 954 (scarce). ;)

Roman Collector likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

This is why I prefer comments to likes, sometimes it leads to learning something new.

Thanks, Doug & Al.

I checked the few Caracalla tets I own and sadly none of them are those Prieur.:oops: Would have been nice.

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent @Mat
    In the past two years I've put very high (to me) bids on JD syro-phenician tetradrachm but have always been outbid by far. I'm still looking for one that would fit both my taste and my wallet to have the family reunited

0180-410-1149.jpg
    0190-410-0214A.jpg
    0200-410-0209.jpg

Q

Jay GT4, Shea19, sand and 4 others like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful coins. I am still on the hunt for an affordable Septimius Severus Tet. The few I have seen listed end up selling fast.

Cucumbor likes this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a wonderful little set of coins, @Mat !

Draft saved Draft deleted