Julia Domna provincial with a strong Athena Promachos reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug, I appreciate it. I love that series of reverses from "Emesa", and the first coin with Minerva/Athena holding the owl is just fantastic. Your seemingly endless supply of interesting Severan varieties never ceases to amaze me!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Julia Domna
    Thrace, Deultum
    image.jpg
    Macedonia, Stobi
    image(1).jpg

4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the nice comments and for sharing some beautiful examples.

@zumbly, fantastic reverse! When it comes to big provincial bronzes with cool reverses, you never disappoint.

@ancientone , that's a great variety of poses and mints, I especially like your Hadrian bronze.

@hotwheelsearl Great photos, thanks for sharing! Didn't realize that statue was your avatar picture.

@Ignoramus Maximus , that's a beautiful reverse on that Lysimachos tet. Very interesting graffiti as well...is that a "pi" next to Athena?

5. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I love those posts...especially the incredible Nilus sculpture. I was lucky enough to see this statue at the museum in Naples a few years ago, and I visited Herculaneum on the same trip (I can't wait to be able to travel again). The Naples museum has a lot of sculptures that were recovered from the same villa. It really is unbelievable how many beautiful pieces of art were in that villa (the bust of Scipio Africanus from @Ryro 's recent post actually came from there as well).

I think that there are probably a lot more reverse types that are based on actual statues that have since been lost to time. It seems like it would have made sense for engravers to base a lot of their reverse types on existing designs rather than come up with brand new ones.

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted