Julia Domna - A Very Ugly Denarius - ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I just got this denarius of Julia Domna and I am having a tough time attributing it. Given its overall appearance, I am suspecting a barbaric imitation or some sort of ancient counterfeit. The reverse type and inscription isn't matching up to anything I can find.

It weighs 3.31 grams and is about 19 mm. The metal looks silver-ish, not fourree so much abut I could be wrong.

Many thanks!

Julia Domna - Denarius Ugly Jan 19 (0).jpg

Here's another view of the reverse. That inscription just doesn't line up with any of JD's coins, that I could find:

Julia Domna - Denarius Ugly Jan 19 (0det).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Style doesn't seem official .

7Calbrey, Alegandron and Marsyas Mike like this.
  4. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Maybe "IMPERII FELICITAS" reverse?

DonnaML and 7Calbrey like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Weird.

I concur the reverse type is IMPERII FELICITAS. It clearly begins IMPER and ends in CITAS. However, the goddess here clearly holds a branch, whereas Felicitas holds a caduceus on the only Severan issue with this reverse type, a denarius of Caracalla, RIC 9 (Rome), RIC 331 (Eastern mint). That type depicts Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus in right hand and child on left arm.

From the British Museum:

Rome:
    1612993407_l.jpg

Eastern mint:
    1613116112_l.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mixing of reverses on unofficial coins of this period is not at all unusual both with fourree and solid coins. The doubing on reverse right messes up the legend but this, otherwise, is a nice example of a solid barbarous coin.

The solid Domna below shows use of a Septimius reverse Restitutor Orbis.
    re6410bb1827.jpg

The Septimius fourree below uses a Caracalla on horseback reverse
    re3520bb1313.jpg
    When you are running an unofficial mint, the rules that apply to the official mints do not apply.

7. Marsyas Mike

Thank you all for your assistance with this odd-ball coin. I think the "unofficial" issue approach to this one is probably correct.

arizonarobin likes this.
  8. Marsyas Mike

Bringing up this thread because I just got another Julia Domna denarius with a non-official reverse - this one featuring FIDES PVBLICA from Caracalla.

Amusingly, the obverse legend is "IVLIA D AVGVSTA" - Julia D was what her friends called her, I'm guessing.

FORVM sold an example with the same reverse, which made me happy, leading me to believe mine is at least ancient and not some botched modern counterfeit from the bowels of eBay.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?zpg=8921

Julia Domna - Denarius FIDES PUB Mar 2020 (0).jpg

Julia Domna Æ (?) Denarius
    (c. 196-211 A.D.)
    Unknown / Unofficial Mint

IVLIA D AVGVSTA draped bust right / FIDES PVBLICA, Fides standing right, holding corn-ears and basket of fruit.
    RIC IV -; BMCRE -; RSC III -
    (Unofficial issue; see notes)
    (2.46 grams / 16 mm)

"This coin combines the obverse of a Julia Domna denarius with reverse of a Caracalla denarius. The style is not official. It is an ancient counterfeit. The core is probably base metal."
    www.forumancientcoins.com

Note: Per OCRE, there are eight FIDES PVBLICA types for Caracalla: RIC 8, 19, 24Aa, 24Ab, 24a, 24b, 330A and 334.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...those on a 1st name basis eh?!..><

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  10. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

The figure on the reverse of the first coin in this thread appears to be Hilaritas, but of course the legend doesn't jive.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  11. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

And I always thought her friends just called her Jaydee to distinguish her from her sister Jay Macy and her niece J.So, who is not to be confused with the well-known American actress and singer J.Lo.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I appreciate unofficial coins that show original thought. This must have come just at the time of the switchover from the first legend Domna coins to the later IVLIA AVGASTA legends and the counterfeiter had trouble with the change. It looks ancient and interesting.

13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The reverse shows Fides standing left, holding plate of fruit in right hand, grain ears in left.

Fides is normally depicted facing left like this

[​IMG]

but is sometimes seen facing right

[​IMG]

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Caracalla 1.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAE MAVR ANT AVG P TR P - Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FIDES PVBLICA – Fides standing right, holding corn ears and fruit dish
    Struck at Rome, 198 AD
    3.0g, 18mm
    RIC 24a, C 82

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hmmm... "Rabbit-Hole Fides". I do not have her standing, rather she is chilling on the Obverse.

I am pondering buying @dougsmit 's neighbor's house. Unfortunately, my coins are ensconced further from me that I cannot attempt to re-photo...

upload_2020-3-27_9-41-27.png
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    A LICINIUS NERVA
    AR-Denarius, 3.58 g.
    Rome. c. 47 BCE
    Obv.: FIDES / NERVA
    Laureate head of Fides r.
    Rev.: NERVA / III VIR
    Horseman galloping r., draging captive by the hair.
    Ref: Craw 454/1; BMC 3999; Syd 954

And, Doug knows this one pretty well:

upload_2020-3-27_9-47-0.png
    RI AR Den Julia Domna 200 CE Felicitas Isis Horus RIC 577
    Ex: Doug Smith Collection

Attached Files:

Johndakerftw, Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted