Julia Domna Æ 34 from Cilicia, Aegeae - with 2 Nike Countermarks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, May 20, 2018.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I just got this from eBay, having very little idea what it was (the seller, a knowledgeable ancients dealer, didn't know either). After spending several (very pleasurable, sometimes frustrating) hours ransacking the web, I think I finally figured it out: a Julia Domna/Hygieia Æ 34 from Cilicia, Aegeae.

I was only able to find a couple of examples online, including one on Wildwinds - I'd like to see others if you got 'em. My knowledge of Roman Provincials is very, very limited, so any corrections will be welcome.

I was especially drawn to it because of the countermarks. It seems the Howgego reference is the place to go to for these, but I don't have a copy of it, so I was cribbing off online info (especially the FORVM countermark gallery, which has a lot of these Nike advancing countermarks, though not on this particular host). I only found the Macrinus victory reference in one place, so I don't know if this is the case, but it is kind of cool to think so...

Julia Domna Cilicia Aegeae cm AE 34 May 2018 (3).JPG

Julia Domna Cilicia Aegeae cm AE 34 May 2018 (4).JPG

Julia Domna Cilicia Aegeae cm AE 34 May 2018 (6).JPG

Julia Domna Æ 34
    (c. 193-194 A.D.)
    Roman Prov. - Cilicia, Aegeae

[IOYΛIAN Δ]OMNAN [CEB], draped bust of Julia right / [AΔΡIANΩN AIΓEAIΩN ETOYC Mς,] draped bust of Hygieia, serpent around shoulders. Ziegler Kilikien 1382; SNG Levante 1737; SNG France II, 2340; Paris 82
    (18.96 grams / 34 x 31 mm)

Countermarks:
    Nike advancing left, holding wreath, in oval punch, 6 x 7.5 mm Howgego 260. (1) obverse. left edge; (1) reverse on bust.
    "Note: the Countermark may refer to Macrinus' "Victoria Parthica", there also being coins issued by Macrinus with this reverse type.
    (per FORVM Gallery description)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not a great coin, but the countermarks make it.

Can't help in that area though.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Yeah, if it weren't for the countermarks I probably wouldn't've gone for it. And Julia's portrait is fairly attractive for what I've seen of the Provincials. I definitely had $9.99 worth of fun researching it!

TIF likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That was a great buy for the price, very interesting countermarks.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Cool countermarks for sure.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool! i like that!

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a nice bargain! Although worn, the portrait is unmistakably Julia Domna. I love coins you can touch with impunity :)

Your countermarks are Howgego 258 rather than 260.

Here's the entry:

Howgego258.jpg

And the plate:

Howgego258plate.jpg

And here is the discussion for Howgego 260, which is referenced in the 258 entry. Howgego 260 is found on coins struck in Hierapolis-Castabala (Cilicia).

Howgego260discussion.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Awesome bust, for the rare type! And the CMs add so much more. Now I'm itching to know if Macrinus had those put on there to celebrate his victory over Parthia???

10. Marsyas Mike

Thank you so much TIF for all that Howgego countermark information - that is some very, very interesting stuff there. I really appreciate the clarification.

TIF likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a big ol' Domna provincial! Cool countermarks, too. I was going to suggest you ask @TIF about the countermarks because I know she has Howgego, but I see she's ON THE CASE!

Here's my biggest Domna provincial, an Æ 32 from Ephesus in Ionia. And I thought mine was big!

Domna Ephesus Carpentum 2.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman AE 32 mm, 13.72 g.
    Ionia, Ephesus, AD 193-217.
    Obv: CЄBACTH IOY ΔOMNA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: ЄΦЄϹΙΩΝ TPIC NЄΩKOPΩN, carpentum drawn right by two mules.
    Refs: SNG Copenhagen 417; BMC 267 var. (obv legend).

Draft saved Draft deleted