Julia Augusta

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Nov 15, 2021.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I received the coin below from CNG. It came listed as Julia Augusta (Livia), Augusta, A.D. 14-29. Wasn't Julia the daughter of Augustus and wife of Tiberius? Why is Livia in parentheses? Was Julia also known as Livia, or is there some uncertainty as to whether the coin depicts Julia, Augustus' daughter, or Livia, his wife?
    Livia.jpg
    Julia Augusta
    Augusta, A.D. 14-29
    AE dupondius
    RIC 47 (var. - reverse legend)
    Obv: Bust of Salus, right.
    Rev: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVG PM TR [POT XXIII] around SC.
    27mm, 10.25g.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Now that I think of it, if that's a bust of Salus on the obverse as RIC claims, why is it attributed to either of them?

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Livia Drusilla, the WIFE of Augustus, was adopted in his will into the Julii family and was given the lofty title of Augusta, the first woman to receive this title, and is also known as Julia Augusta. Because the obverse reads SALVS AVGVSTA and Livia was the only woman to bear that title, the coin is believed to depict her.

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

RC is spot on:bookworm:
    Further, the few coins that do show Julia the Elder's (Augustus daughter and Tibs disgraced and murderer Ex) likeness are exceedingly rare.
    Here are the two together, as goddesses to add to the confusion:
    1459561_1603040678.l-removebg-preview.png
    Posthumous Coinage of Augustus
    Julia Daughter of Augustus by his first wife Scribonia. Born 39 BC, she was the wife of Marcellus, Agrippa and Tiberius, respectively. Banished by her father to the island of Pandataria in 2 BC, she remained there 5 years and then was allowed to reside in Rhegium, where she died in 14 AD.
    Livia and Julia under Augustus. Bronze 10-2 BC, Pergamum/Mysia. LIBIAN HPAN XAPINOS Draped bust of Livia (as Hera) to r. Rev.( IO)YLIAN (AFP)ODIT(HN) Draped bust of Julia (as Venus) to r 18 mm,. 3,79 g. BMC 248. RPC 2359. Vagi 370. Very rare
    Ex: Savoca Blue 89

"Livia has two distinct portrait types. The first, characterized by a hair nodus on her forehead and best represented on the marble bust in Copenhagen, is not represented on Roman issues but only on provincial coins. The second, with a centre part of the hairstyle in place of the nodus, is present on the dupondii minted under her son Tiberius in Roma. Marble sculptures are known where the first portrait type with a nodus was later reworked into the second portrait type, confirming the sequence of the portrait types. AMP. This coin allows us to differentiate between the portrait of Julia, daughter of Augustus, from Livia (Julia Augusta) his wife. Julia is shown as the goddess Aphrodite, Livia as the goddess Hera. On most other provincial coins the name Julia Augusta refers to Livia, not Julia, which can be very misleading."

You're coin is Livia, Julia Augusta.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spaniard, Finn235, ambr0zie and 2 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

IVLIA looks very funny on this coin

[​IMG]
    Judaea Pontius Pilate
    - Prutah Julia - IOYLIA KAICAPOC Julia Caesar -
    LIVIA wife of Augustus
    Hendin 1341

[​IMG]
    RI Alexandria Livia, w Augustus Diobol CE 1-2 Æ 23.5mm 7.46g. Rev. Athena holding Nike shield ex Dattari-Savio Plate coin 3 60-this coin RPC pag. 692-5-this coin R

Ryro, Spaniard, PeteB and 5 others like this.
  8. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Julia Augusta (Livia) also appeared in the guise of Pietas:

.png

PIETAS - below veiled, diademed and draped bust of Livia, as Pietas, right /
    DRVSVS CAESAR TI AVGVSTI F TR POT ITER around large S C
    Dupondius, Rome mint AD 23 (under Tiberius in the name of Drusus Caesar)
    30,74 mm / 13,63 gr
    RIC (Tiberius) 43 ; BMCRE (Tiberius) 98; CBN (Tiberius) 74; Cohen 1; Sear 1741

Ryro, Spaniard, PeteB and 2 others like this.
  9. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

Nice coins :)

My small Livia coin minted in Cilicia with a pleasing portrait.

598241F1-376F-49AA-83B3-82340C998D38.jpeg

Livia
    Augusta, Cilicia.
    3.7 g, 17,60 mm.
    Obv. No legend, draped bust right.
    Rev. AYΓOYΣTANΩN, star above capricorn right with globe between forelegs.
    RPC I 4007.

10. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I recently acquired my first Livia coin.
    Nobody wanted it so I got it for the opening price - 10 EUR.
    I think this is money well spent.
    upload_2021-11-22_17-34-29.png

Macedon. Thessalonica. Tiberius and Livia AD 14-37.
    Bronze Æ
    21 mm, 8,41 g
    Obv: ΤΙ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ, head of Tiberius, r. / ΣΕΒΑΣΤΗ ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΕΩΝ, bust of Livia, r
    RPC I 1567, Touratsoglou, Tiberius 38–61 (c. 22–3 and later)

11. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

That is a VERY pleasing portrait.

Draft saved Draft deleted