Jukebox Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Louie_Two_Bits, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

I believe it was here that I read about Jukebox Quarters...

When an establishment's atmosphere started to wane, the barkeep would drop a few quarters into the jukebox to liven things up a bit. The establishment painted the quarters red/blue, so when the vendor came to empty the jukebox, they would subtract the painted quarters from their bottom line and give the quarters back to the barkeep.

I got this in change today, and it happens to be my birth year :kewl:

Now this could be a jukebox quarter OR just a quarter painted blue...either way I wanted to share this unique coin and story.

-LTB

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Another reason for them was that during the 1970's, the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey increased their toll from 15 cents to 25 cents. This caused a public outcry, and spurred a grass-roots protest. Parkway users were encouraged to dye or paint quarters red, and use them as tolls to record their protest vote.

4. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Oh interesting; so I guess the red ones could be jukebox quarters or protest quarters :smile

-LTB

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

I don't remember seeing blue quarters in the '40s when I was in high school, although quarters painted with nail polish were regularly used by soda fountain clerks to prime their juke boxes.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

2010 Circulation find:

[​IMG]

7. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

watch out for lead paint!

8. johnnyflesh

johnnyflesh New Member

Holy smokes! I had no idea. I've seen some colored coins but thought it was kids playing around, lol. Still might have been but neat read, Thanks!

9. krispy

krispy krispy

I think someone has been licking this one clean... ;)

10. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I've got a couple of Walking Liberty halves with nail polish on them. I wonder what the purpose of that was?

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Miss Liberty likes a little glam now and again... :whistle:

12. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

very interesting story.........

13. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Perhaps, but she got it all over her dress!

14. krispy

krispy krispy

LOL! Hey, if you can post a pic please do.

15. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

These days most jukeboxes take dollar bills. I'm going make a "jukebox dollar" stamp to go with my Where's George. Thanks for the idea.

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Right, but the 'beauty' of these coins, metaphorically or in the eyes of the beholder, are finding them in circulation. Notes do not last as long in circulation and are intentionally pulled and replaced with new notes when their short lifespans expire.

Draft saved Draft deleted