Judea Capta added

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, May 14, 2021.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Though this coin is a common Judea Capta type, I still think it is a great coin. Yes, it has fake desert patina but it also has an interesting portrait. The other interesting thing about this coin is whom I bought it from. I purchased this coin from David Hendin the author of Guide to Biblical Coins.

The obverse is better than the reverse but it is still possible to see the mourning figure of Judea. You can also see IVDAEA on the left-hand side.

I am very happy to add this coin to my collection. I also think it is neat to have his signature on his certificate of authenticity.

Please post your Judea Capta types. I would love to see them.

Vespasian 69-79 AD, AE As
    (27.2 mm, 8.05 g.)
    Obv: Vespasian laureate bust right; IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG COS VIII PP
    Rev: Palm tree, arms scattered, Jewess seated in mourning to r.; IVDAEA CAPTA SC,
    Reference: Hendin 1561, RIC II. 1233.
    Earthen contrast added.
    This lot is accompanied by a photo-authenticity receipt signed by David Hendin, author of Guide to Biblical Coins.
    Vesp 1233.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

TitusJudCapDen.jpg
    Titus, as Caesar; 69-79 AD. AR denarius (21x18mm; 3.32gm; 6h). Antioch mint. "Judaea Capta" commemorative. Obv: T CAES (IMP) VESP PON TRPOT, His laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: No legend. Titus Standing right holding spear and parazonium; left foot on globe (not visible here); captive Judaea seated right on the ground in a mourning mode, at the base of a palm tree. The coin was struck in ancient times by some round, ball-shaped object, probably metal, at the base of the palm tree, which flattened the palm trunk and Titus' left leg. The impact carried through to flatten slightly Titus' head above the ear. Tiny metallic deposit on the "R" of the TRPOT obverse legend. RIC II 1562 (Vespasian); Hendin 1492; RPC 1934; RSC 392.

4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

How about one from the same series, but of Titus Caesar?

V1268.jpg
    Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]
    Æ As, 9.35g
    Lyon mint, 77-78 AD
    RIC 1268 (C2). BMC 862, BNC 872. Hendin 1562.
    Obv: T CAES IMP AVG F TR P COS VI CENSOR; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.; globe at point of bust
    Rev: IVDAEA CAPTA; S C in exergue; Palm tree; to r., Judaea std. r.; to l. of tree, arms
    Acquired from GB Collection, March 2019.

The importance of the Jewish War to the Flavian dynasty cannot be overestimated. It provided much needed legitimacy for the imperial rule of 'new men'. This common as struck for Titus Caesar nearly eight years after the Gotterdammerung fall of Jerusalem is ample evidence of the dynasty's continued reliance on the propaganda value of 'Judaea Capta'. It would continue to be Titus's calling card even after he became emperor a year or so later. This coin was struck in Lugdunum (Lyon) in a fairly large issue that presumably addressed a shortage of bronze coinage in the Western provinces.

5. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of examples- one with Vespasian and a mourning Jewish woman, and one with Titus and a captive Jewish man.

upload_2021-5-15_0-7-58.png

Vespasian, 69-79. ARDenarius (17 mm, 3.31 g, 6 h). Rome mint. Undated, circa 21stof December 69 to Early 70 AD. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Laureate head of Vespasian to right./ IVDAEA in exergue: Mourning Jewess sits right, resting her head on her left hand; behind, trophy. Hendin 1479. BMC 35. Cohen 226. RIC 2.

upload_2021-5-15_0-9-54.png

Titus, 79-81. ARDenarius (18 mm, 3.27 g, 7 h). Rome mint, 79 AD, after 1st of July. [IMP] TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M (outward); laureate head of Titus to left. Rev. TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII P P; male Jewish captive kneeling right at base of trophy of arms with hands bound behind his back. Hendin 1583a. RIC 31 (R2). Very rare with portrait left.

Attached Files:

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Glad you got this one Andrew! I'll add my own RIC 1268 to compliment David's.

Titus Capta RIC.jpg

T CAES IMP AVG F TR P COS VI CENSOR
    Laureate head right

IVDAEA CAPTA SC
    Palm tree; Judaea seated right; to left of tree, arms

Lugdunum (Lyon), 77-8 CE

8.81g
    RIC 1268 (C2)
    Ex-Incitatus

A common but important type. Minted 8 years after the conquest of Judea by Titus. A reminder of Titus' military prowess and his place as his father's successor.

7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

TitiusJudCapSest2.jpg
    Titus, as Caesar; 69-79 AD. Æ Sestertius (31mm; 24.32gm; 6h). "JUDAEA CAPTA" issue. Rome mint. Struck 72 AD. Obv: Laureate head right. T CAES VESP IMP PON TRPOT COSII CENS. Rev: Titus standing in triumphal quadriga right, holding scepter and branch. The chariot is ornamented with Nike standing r. holding wreath in outstretched arm. “S•C” in ex. RIC II, 611 (Vespasian); Hendin 790, fourth edition, except differing obverse legend.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    +VGO.DVCKS, Nemo, galba68 and 6 others like this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

As to my last post above, can someone with later versions of Hendin see if the legend above is included? Reference number?
    Thanks.

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Hendin 5th edition:1542

T CAES VESP IMP PON TR POT COS II CENS
    Laureate head of Titus right

SC in exergue
    Titus stands in triumphal quardriga to right, holds branch in right hand and scepter in left, on side of cart is Victory to right holding wreath.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Jay GT4 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted