Featured Judaea Capta Strikes Back!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, May 29, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Recently, I was able to obtain a budget example of a coin that has been on by 'grail' list for quite some time. Although it's worn - there is no tooling, no smoothing, no bronze disease, and no fake patina, in other words an honest piece. I'm happy.

T500ba.jpg Titus
    Æ Sestertius, 24.04g
    Eastern Mint (Thrace?), 80-81 AD
    Obv: IMP T CAES DIVI VESP F AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IVD CAP; S C in field; Palm tree; to l., Judaea std. l. on arms; to r., captive stg. r.
    RIC 500 (R2). BMC p. 433 note. BNC -. RPC 503 (1 spec.).
    Acquired from Incitatus Coins, May 2020.

The Jewish War was a gift that kept on giving for the Flavian dynasty. This rare Judaea Capta sestertius was struck a decade after the fall of Jerusalem for Titus as Augustus. The new emperor wished to remind the Roman populace of his military bona fides. The coin is from of a very mysterious issue of bronze struck in 80-81. The style (heavily seriffed letters, large portraits, and massive reverse figures), unique obverse legends (DIVI VESP F for Titus), and uncommon fabric (convex flans) all suggest a mint other than Rome. Attributing exactly where these coins were struck has historically been a moving target - Mattingly in BMCRE thought Lugdunum, H.A. Cahn believed somewhere in Bithynia. More recent scholarship has looked towards Thrace as a possible location for production based on the Balkan distribution pattern of found specimens. Although the region of mintage has been narrowed down, the city itself remains elusive. RPC has suggested possibly Perinthus. Presumably a shortage of bronze coins in the region during Titus' reign prompted a localised imperial issue, which in the main copied types from Rome. The striking of imperial bronze outside of Rome was an exceptional step at the time considering the last imperial branch mint at Lugdunum had shuttered late in Vespasian's reign.

Fittingly, a few days before the coin arrived this wonderful translation of Josephus' The Jewish War showed up in my PO Box.

Photo from David Atherton.jpg

With copious notes and introduction by Martin Goodman and an engaging translation by Martin Hammond, this is by far the best edition of the work in English currently available. My antiquated Loeb edition can rest easy now.

Feel free to post your (budget) Bucket List coins.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Sulla80, dlhill132, Jay GT4 and 32 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great pick-up David. An honest-to-goodness example of a coin that has not been altered in any way yet passed through many hands until it finally came to rest in your collection.

Carl Wilmont and David Atherton like this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice find, David. I'm hoping for a cheap "IVD CAP" to come my way...after 30+ years it hasn't happened, but hope springs eternal.

This seems like a good place to share my latest Flavian. Yesterday I got a big lot of scruffy Imperial AEs in the mail, via eBay. And to my surprise, one of them was a Titus "restitution issue" for Germanicus. This wasn't on my bucket list because it seemed out of my league.

I figured it was the common Caligula issue for Germanicus, but the reverse legend was baffling me, until I started looking at Titus. I've included an enhanced photo in case folks cannot read through the pitting and wear. It looks slightly better in hand, but not much.

Titus - Germanicust Rest as lot May 2020 (0).jpg
    Titus - Germanicust Rest as lot May 2020 (0det).jpg
    Titus Æ As
    Germanicus Restoration Issue
    (80-81 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

GER[MANICVS CAESAR TI AV]G F DIVI AVG N, head of Germanicus, bare, left /
    IMP T CA[ES DIVI VESP F] AVG REST · around large S-C.
    RIC 442 (RIC [1962] 228) (Titus)
    (8.25 grams / 23 mm)

5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I acquired this coin at budget price. I'm sure the seller knew nothing about the term "Judaea Capta". Personally, I've heard about Jewish revolts through History even hundreds of years BC, but here at Coin Talk I learned what the term means. It was struck at Samaria under Domitian. Nike is on reverse symbolizing the victory of the Romans over Judaea (Judaea Capta). Hendin 1456.

DomitNike O  Samaria.JPG DpmiJcapta    hendin1456.JPG

6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I acquired this coin at budget price. I'm sure the seller knew nothing about the term "Judaea Capta". Personally, I've heard about Jewish revolts through History even hundreds of years BC, but here at Coin Talk I learned what the term means. It was struck at Samaria under Domitian. Nike is on reverse symbolizing the victory of the Romans over Judaea (Judaea Capta). Hendin 1456.

View attachment 1123147 View attachment 1123148

David Atherton likes this.
  7. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

A Titus Judaea Capta sestertius is a coin that is also on my "really want" list. Beautiful coin you have there, and thanks for sharing .

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, that Capta is on a ton of people's wish list. Nice pick up.

9. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Here's an Augustus sestertius that I had wanted for quite some time. I got this off of eBay at a very good price which was a surprise to me. Of course with eBay you never know. It does have some obverse corrosion but I can live with that.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-yQKgTlpIp6vJ3j-Augustus-removebg-preview.png

Augustus (Augustus Caesar)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    OB CIVIS SERVATOS - OB above, SERVATOS below, CIVIS within oak wreath between two laurel branches
    C • ASINIVS • C • F • GALLVS • III • VIR • A • A • A • F • F •, large S • C. - Legend surrounding large S C
    Exergue:

Mint: Rome (16 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 22.70g / 35mm / 7h
    Rarity: Rare
    References:
    RIC I 370
    BMCRE 157 = BMCRR Rome 4594
    BN 372-6
    Cohen 367
    Sear5 1644
    Acquisition/Sale: cutiepagirl Ebay $0.00 09/18
    Notes: Sep 7, 18 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

quote-young-men-hear-an-old-man-to-whom-old-men-hearkened-when-he-was-young-augustus-8653.jpg

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I think the "JVD CAP" variety is seldom seen and fairly rare. Great catch!!!

Agricantus likes this.
  11. David Atherton

Indeed! Thank you for pointing it out. I really should have mentioned how much rarer this IVD CAP type is in comparison with the more familiar IVDAEA CAPTA types!

12. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Vespasian Denarius from the series of Judaea Capta coins for the victory over Jerusalem:

[​IMG]

Vespasian (69-79 AD). Denarius. Rome. 72/73 AD. IMP CAES VESP AVG P M COS IIII; Laureate head of Vespasian right / VICTORIA – AVGVSTI; winged Victory advancing right, shouldering a palm frond, crowning a standard. 17.50 mm. 2.9 g.

13. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That a nice, high relief expressive portrait of Vespasian.

Carl Wilmont likes this.
  14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great coin and great post, David! I’ve been away from the Forum for a while and decided to check it out today. It is not only good to see one of your posts as a feature article but to see that your posting is a Judaean period war coin is extra awesome.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    David Atherton and Alegandron like this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Nice David! Definitely one of my favorite Capta types.
    TitusIUDCAP.jpg

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In some circles this would be called a 'kit'. Add tooling and fake patina and you have something for a Euro-auction.

David Atherton and Nemo like this.
  17. David Atherton

Thanks @Deacon Ray! Recently I've been reading my Hendin and The Jewish War, so it seemed like an appropriate time to beef up my Captas.

Draft saved Draft deleted