Journey into the unknown: Xin Dynasty 50 Zhu (Circa 7-23 CE)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, May 26, 2017.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's my contribution to the Wang party :wideyed: :
    Wang Mang.jpg
    Top left is a Da Quan Wu Shi (Large Coin Fifty). Top right is a broken-off knife of the Qi Dao Wu Bai (Inscribed Knife Five Hundred) type. Bottom left and center are two varieties of Huo Quan (Wealth/Money Coin) and bottom right is a Bu Quan (Spade Coin).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Well, there is no stopping this party now. I will be receiving these two soon, and will do a review on the Wang Mang book as soon as I've read it. And now that I have two coins of his, I can find them in the catalog and provide a new reference that is not some old out of print catalog.

If you guys want my honest opinion on this new catalog, and the accompanying Wang Mang book, look for my write up on them in the next 2-3 months (after I've had time to put them to the test with additional Chinese cash coin purchases). I will even scan a page or two from each so you guys can see how the catalog looks and decide if you want a copy for yourself. I will thoroughly review them to help you decide if these are worth your time and money.

I'm curious to also see if the catalog deals at all with spades or knife money too, or just Wu Zhu coins. I'm pretty sure the Wang Mang book covers all his stuff, even the knives and spades, but not sure of the other one. I'll find out for you guys and let you know.

Screenshot_2017-05-29-14-32-45.png

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Dont forget the nice paper written by Robert Tye on Wang Mang. Very simple but a wonderful read. I already sent a pdf to @Sallent, but didnt realize one could attach non photos to threads, so here is a copy:

Attached Files:

5. Sallent

I was reading it this morning. Thank you very much for sending me this via email. Its very educational, and I enjoyed reading it.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Parthicus => I must admit that this baby is pretty cool
    Maybe one day one of these washers will end-up in my collection? (again, I find it more fun to tease you washer-collectors than to actually buy one of these boring coins)

:woot:

... coins rock!! (keep-up the great work!) ... it's all in fun

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Good luck! Just know that for every authentic one of these there are 5-10 fakes. They have been faking this coin for centuries.

I am proud to be a washer collector. :shame:

stevex6 likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, that makes these even less appealing (if possible)

:eek:

9. Sallent

If I'm Stevex6's Secret Santa this year, I'll send him one of those Chinese washers he's been secretly dreaming about for so long. We all know that when he looks at one of those gorgeous and superb animal coins he owns, deep down inside he probably tells himself "I wish I had an ancient Chinese washer instead." ;):rolleyes:

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ahaha ...

Thanks but Mentor already PM'd me yesterday and asked me if I wanted some washer examples, but I told him politely that I'd rather they go to a youngin' ...

=> ummm, but if I ever do decide to pull the washer-trigger, then it's gonna be aimed at an animal example (coin, token, whatev)

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Parthicus

@stevex6 : Here's a Chinese charm featuring both a tiger and a phoenix on the reverse:
    Exam charm.jpg
    The obverse inscription translates as "Good news of a Triple First", the highest score in the Chinese Imperial Exam, which was a sort of civil service exam that was used to select China's bureaucracy for hundreds of years. I won this at a Steve Album auction; he often has many nice Chinese charms and amulets in his auctions.

Ajax, icerain, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

About when was that made?

13. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

The fabric appears to be late Qing or early republic times

14. TypeCoin971793

That was my thought as well.

15. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Tang Dynasty, Imperial China
    AE 1 Cash coin
    Obv: 開 元 通 寶 , Kai Yuan Tong Bao ("The Currency of the K'ai-yuan Period" or "The Inaugural Currency") , top-beneath-right-left of central square hole
    Rev: Central square hole
    Mint: (unknown)
    Date: 718-732 AD ("middle period")
    Ref: Hartill 14.3
    Size: 24 mm wide, 3.30 gr

[​IMG]

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Parthicus => wow, that's a total winner!! (up near the top of my wish list, coin-friend)

$50 coin (charm) or $1000 coin?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  17. Parthicus

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $75-80. Very cheap for the amount of history behind it (check out the Wikipedia article on Chinese Imperial Exam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_examination )

The only age given in the auction description was "Qing", presumably based on style and fabric as there's nothing else datable about the piece.

TypeCoin971793 and stevex6 like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is a youngin' animal washer example that I have: :D yeah, they can be found!

Chinese Commemorative 1939 San Francisco Golden Gate Exp triangle.jpg
    Chinese Commemorative 1939 San Francisco Golden Gate Expo triangle hole Dragon

Loong Siew, stevex6 and Ajax like this.
  20. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Animal types will have to be found on charms. Here are a few Song Dynasty with horse, sheep, rabbit, etc:

Eb499Swmac3Rt8ZyCp7K6L2kHQj52N.jpg jHQ3Xr7KL5NoqmZ4sG8y2igYdE6xmC.jpg Qt3W42Yo6xKXkTw49jpEF28a5Lmdgn.jpg XJj83AcaTiC9Df6nqZC4Q2pwdrK5t7.jpg

21. Sallent

Compared to the few other cash I've come across, this is fairly light, thin, and small. Darn you Wang Mang, how could you shamelessly try to pass this off for 50 Wu Zhu? Now I understand how the poor ancient Chinese felt when they saw these.

Smaller than a US nickel and 1/4rth the thickness.

20170531_182757.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted