Journey into the unknown: Xin Dynasty 50 Zhu (Circa 7-23 CE)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, May 26, 2017.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Interesting how the shi character stayed the same over two millenia whilst the wu character has evolved.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The hourglass Wu is the seal script version. The normal version has stayed the same for amout the same amount of time.

4. TypeCoin971793

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I know that Chinese characters have evolved, usually simplified over time. The formal character for the numeral 1 is a figure that looks like a fully armed soldier whilst the common character is just a little slash ~. One time in a park there I watched some older gentlemen practice calligraphy with large brushes and water. It was just fascinating because you realise that their characters are pretty much little pictograms that are very complex.

6. TypeCoin971793

Here are the two knife coins produced by Wang Mang, as well as a larger Da Quan Wu Shi (weighs 7.8g if I remember correctly). The two knife coins are replicas; I do not have the $5000 it would take to buy a real example of the one on the left, nor $500 to get a real example of the one on the right (intact, that is).

IMG_3324.JPG

Xiao Quan Zhi Yi ("Small coin value 1"). This was the smallest coin produced by wang Mang. It had the stated value of 5 Zhu, but the metal content of about 2-3 Zhu (though in theory it was supposed to just be 1 Zhu).

IMG_3326.JPG

Size comparison. The bottom left Da Quan Wu Shi is about 28mm. The one on the right is a little later in manufacture and weighs 5.7g.

IMG_3329.JPG

The four intermediate coins, which were valued at 10, 20, 30, and 40. These are all replicas, as I do not have $6000 to buy the set of them. They get the point across.

IMG_3335.JPG

Here are the spades. Top left is a value 100, and they increase in value by intervals of 100 to the bottom right. The value 1000 spade in the bottom right is by far the most common and is the only genuine coin in this picture. I do not have the $10000 necessary to buy the other 9 spades.

IMG_3337.JPG

More size comparison. The left coin is a Wu Zhu (about the size of a US quarter). The right coin in a Xiao Quan Zhi Yi. The middle coin is a very diminutive Wu Zhu that is typically attributed to a much later period (Wei Dynasty, I think), but the fabric and style closely resembles the coins made by Wang Mang. He could have made it, though none of his records show that he did.

IMG_3339.JPG

My genuine example of the knife coin. I have about $50 in it, which is about as good as it'll get for the time being.

IMG_8249.JPG

icerain, TheRed, Parthicus and 7 others like this.
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Both are nice coins. However, the bottom one with that nice green patina is my favorite. It has tons of eye appeal. Very well done, @chrsmat71

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

So, Fiddy Cent.

9. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

yes. i've taken my Chinese artifacts to Chinese restaurants trying to figure out what the characters were. they all told me that ancient one weren't like what they use today. it was educational while at the same time tasty:)

Theodosius and TIF like this.
  10. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fascinating world of far eastern coinage.. unlike western coinage, the inherent value of these lies in their history and calligraphy as opposed to artistic qualities.. nonetheless for us eastern collectors, it spurs us to research on the history and personality behind them.. once you do, there is a world of enjoyment behind them..

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

@Loong Siew the best part of some of the coins is they are so common that you can buy them for a few cents each, and they can be hundreds of years old.

I really like the provincial cash coins, particularly from Jiangxi/Kiangsi.

Loong Siew likes this.
  12. Loong Siew

Very true.. But the fun part is that some slight variances in the strokes and characters may also make a huge difference between few dollars to hundreds if not thousands.. haha

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gawd, I have absolutely "zero" interest in these ol' Chinese washers ... ummm, but maybe I need to snag one just to "tick" that coin-slot, eh? (they don't call to me ... they kinda nag-me and irritate me ... but I do hear them chattin' about me)

Hmmm, I really want one of those sweet animal-examples that Loong-S posted recently ...

Yah, these babies are somewhere on the wish-list, but pretty far down on the list (just a tiny bit ahead of moderns)

:rolleyes:

ahaha, I'm sure that'll get a rise out of the washer-gang

=> oh well, I love you guys (all coins are cool)

cheers.gif

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Loong Siew likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is another case of where I would suggest avoiding the 'need' to buy something expensive that you don't understand or even want to understand. If you feel all 'washers' are equally uninteresting you could fulfill the nagging irritation by buying a <$1 Northern Song or common Wu Shu just as well as some rare script variation of a ruler who issued only a handful of coins. There are many common ones that people like you and I can have in the same sense as people who want only one Roman might get a Falling Horseman. If you are buying something Greek from a dealer that also sells Chinese coins, ask them what it would cost to get the lowest end decent looking thing that will satisfy your need without spending more on postage than you do on the coin.

stevex6 and Loong Siew like this.
  15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

"Ol' Chinese Washers"... Really, @stevex6 ? I guess some people can't appreciate fine grade A Chinese coins when they see them.

Stick to those awesome and beautiful Greek and Roman animal coins you like to collect. And what a great collection you have (nothing but quality).... and I'll take those Chinese washers as well as those non-animal Greek and Roman so you don't have to deal with them..

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Here's a horse for you, @stevex6. Not a beauty... can you find a better one for your collection? (Friendly Canadian challenge for you.)

MING: Emperor Si Zong, Chong Zhen era, 1628-1644, AE cash (2.89g), H-20.355, horse running left at bottom reverse, small casting hole.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.05.31 PM.png

Attached Files:

icerain, TheRed, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  17. Loong Siew

Lovely piece @Severus Alexander ... these ones are very scarce on the Hartill scale. And best of all they were official coins .. Not tokens.. here's my specimen 20170204_203840.png

icerain, TheRed, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks! Yours is lovely too! I fear we may have trouble convincing Steve, though. :) Though it will help that it is an official coin... do you know if there's a known story behind the horse?

Loong Siew and stevex6 like this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

I am sure this fits in your "non-washer" standards. And it only cost me $25. Cha Ching!!!

IMG_3393.JPG

icerain, stevex6, Ajax and 5 others like this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

I have never seen one of those before. Thanks for sharing!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

Here is my collection of Da Quan Wu Shi's. They range from 11.6g to 0.8g. The one on the bottom right is made of lead. To the left of it is a scarce variety that has rays from the holes, but I was a bad numismatist and broke it. You can see how the style changed as this denomination became debased.

IMG_9742.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted