Joined the Dark Side, started a PCGS Registry Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Dec 6, 2014.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Today I decided to try the PCGS Registry game, as I have come to realize a large percentage of my coins are PCGS, even through I consider myself to be more inside the NGC ecosystem.

Anyway, here are some initial thoughts:

• PCGS bulk upload tool works really well (only for PCGS coins).
    • PCGS suggested Registry Sets tool works really well, automatically showing percentage complete, number of coins remaining, etc. I got 7 sets underway with just a few clicks.
    • PCGS automatically shows you which of your coins has CoinFacts / TrueView / SecurePlus photos. Even if you DONT want to participate in the registry, with a few clicks you can upload all your PCGS coins, and then instantly see which have free PCGS photos. I think I have bought maybe 10 coins that a former owner had done PCGS photos on.
    • Uploading your own coin photos is slow, and only 1 image at a time. NGC stinks at this too, plus PCGS is slightly worse.
    • PCGS inventory automatically shows you your coins population at grade "pop", and population of coins with a higher grade "pop higher", nice bonus.
    • PCGS allows you to bulk upload non-PCGS coins, but without the cert numbers. NGC is more friendly in this regard.
    • Both NGC and PCGS now how links to eBay auctions for coins your are missing in your sets. Personally, I don't use this, but it could potentially be useful to some people.
    Its a bummer I cant use my NGC coins, as I have some really nice ones I would like to "count" towards my set progress. Ahh, but this is the registry game, and PCGS only wants their coins.

Here is a set I am working on: geekpryde's Half Dollar Type Set, Circulation Strikes (1794-present) Yeah, rank 15! :p

My initial conclusions is that some of the features at PCGS are clearly better than NGC. Getting started is definitely faster at PCGS inventory tool. And the analysis of which sets your should start based on your inventory is definitely a major feature that NGC lacks. Still, I will continue to do most of my work on my custom CAC Type set at NGC, as I really like their "collection manager" and their inclusive attitude towards PCGS slabs, so all my coins count for points.

I realize collecting points may seem silly to some coin people, but it certainly is a popular pursuit, and can help laser focus a persons goals, and in comes cases even make you aware of Types / Varities you didn't even know existed in a particular series. It also makes inventory and want-list preparation easier to manage, including things like estimated retail pricing, links to auction sites for specific coins, sorting, filtering, etc.

Even if you don't plan to "play the registry game", I highly recommend you check out either NGC or PCGS inventory managers, as they can be quite useful, and they are both totally free.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    gijoe76 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

All my sets are registered at NGC. They allow both. Don't like the inclusive attitude at PCGS.

geekpryde likes this.
  4. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

I think in general PCGS registry is better but it just kills it for me that they don't allow NGC coins. Don Willis did mention that PCGS is going to be making an announcement at the FUN show luncheon about "an exciting new registry set feature". Maybe they are finally coming around....

It seems to me that collectors would like for all the coins to "count" in at least some regard. It frustrates me that my PCGS coins don't count for any points on the NGC registry. I understand the reasoning from a business perspective but its not really helpful to the collector.

geekpryde likes this.
  5. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

For certain series, the companies clearly have different grading standards... a quick look at the population reports undoubtedly confirms that.

And in case any of you disagree or don't know what I'm talking about, just take a quick look at very high end pops of Indian Head Cents for example at each company and what those coins sell for in auctions. At the MS66RD and MS67RD level, the numbers graded and prices realized are significantly different. For many dates you have PCGS MS67RD cents selling for $25k-$50k+ where an NGC MS67RD of the same date sells for around $5k or so. That is the market confirming the grading standards of the companies are not equal.

Because of that, and perhaps more importantly, because of some of the people with top PCGS Registry sets and how much influence they likely have over such a decision, PCGS will never allow NGC coins in the PCGS Registry, at least not in any way that counts at the same point level as a PCGS graded coin. I know that you should "never say never," but in this case I'll comfortably say never gonna happen.

Moreover, PCGS knows that by keeping their Registry exclusive to PCGS coins, they increase their business by having participants or would be participants in the Registry cross coins from other companies into PCGS holders. It happens with regularity and many participants even cross coins of other companies into lower graded PCGS holders if necessary just to get them into their PCGS registry sets. Having the exclusive nature of the registry also drives up the value of PCGS graded coins in part, as participants are more likely to buy PCGS graded coins on the market over another company's coin, all else being equal.

geekpryde and harris498 like this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I have registry sets at both. I wish pcgs would take ngc coins as well. I got some real nice ngc cac coins I have no interest in spending more money to cross over. Lately I think ngc doing a better more consistent job grading then pcgs too. Tho I like pcgs holders better

geekpryde likes this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It really made me mad when NGC pulled the same bull*** by excluding PCGS coins from the foreign registry sets.

Now, don't get me wrong - I hate foreign coins in PCGS holders. They are ridiculously inconsistent, and are wrong more often than they are right. But I was able to find some nice, accurately graded coins and had them in my sets, until NGC removed them.

8. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

I am currently working on a couple PCGS sets. In many cases the NGC coins sell for hundreds less then the PCGS coins I am looking for. In those cases the PCGS pops are much lower. I just bought a coin that lists for $1250 in NGC and $1850 in PCGS. You can find many examples like this. I know those that follow NGC can probably show reverse examples, in the sets I am doing those don't seem to exist.

9. physics-fan3.14

Why on earth would you pay $600 more for a different piece of plastic? I really don't understand, but I guess if that's what you want to do, then hey, have fun.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My PCGS coins are awarded points in my NGC registry. It's strictly US coins.

geekpryde likes this.
  11. geekpryde

Mine too.

12. geekpryde

I think he is implying that the same numeric grades on the series he collects are not actually equivalent in quality. the pop numbers and price differential seem to corroborate this.

Or maybe it is just the coolaid. :wink:

There are benefits to staying within one ecosystem and not mix-and-matching between PCGS and NGC. same reason why some people are Apple fanboys, and some are PC fanboys, or Nikon vs. Canon.

13. physics-fan3.14

And there are significant advantages to not being fanatically devoted to one ecosystem, like many PCGS die-hards are. For example, you can choose the best quality coin for the best price, and not care about what plastic it is wearing. If you are just collecting a number, then you buy the piece of plastic (which is what it seems like a lot of people do, unfortunately - not necessarily anyone here, but I'm sure you've seen the type)

If you want to get really crazy, you even look at coins in ANACS, SEGS, PCI, or other slabs. I buy the coin, not the holder.

I have no problem paying more money for a higher quality coin - I'm arguing the assumption that PCGS necessarily equals high quality (which is what some people seem to think).

14. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

While I agree there is a difference in market pricing, I don't agree it has anything to do with grading. It has everything to do with what the OP posted....PCGS coins sell for more because their registry only allows for PCGS coins to be accumulated, therefore people seek out the PCGS coins for their registries. I'm willing to bet, if PCGS allowed NGC coins you would see an equalization between the two price-wise.

JPeace$ likes this.
  15. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I like to look at other collectors sets. I like the TOP 10 & TOP 20 at PCGS.

I couldn't make a down payment on some of those coins. Robec and Winged Liberty have tremendous sets for view, check 'em out.

16. geekpryde

My overall goal for this thread is to simply highlight my experiences with the PCGS inventory manager and registry system vs the NGC equivalents, which I am much more familiar with.

If anyone has a few pointers for me, or other benefits / disadvantages of the PCGS registry please let me know. I assume many people maintain sets at both, and may have insight into where one is better than the other. too bad we can't combine the best of both into a single system! :wink:

I'm actually surprised there is not a third party registry system that fully allows both PCGS and NGC, and has prices for each based on actual prices realized, and that is not affiliated in any way with either of the TPGs.

Mainebill likes this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

I have long thought this was a good idea. It would also be great to allow ANACS (and maybe a couple other Second Tier graders) as well - basically any company with a published census. If this idea caught on, it would hopefully even out the imbalance between the two companies (maybe).

I lack the technical expertise to accomplish this - and it would be a big time commitment. If anyone does get the idea going, though, I would love to be involved.

geekpryde likes this.
  18. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

I didn' say what I paid did I. I actually paid under both prices for the coin.

I was only saying if they allowed NGC coins to compete against PCGS coins people would buy mainly NGC. I was not comparing the two as I coins collect coins in both holders.

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I think if you got rid of the points system on the registry sets and just allowed people to inventory, post pictures and write information about their coin, it would solve much of the problems. With no point assigned to the coins, you could allow other TPG graded coins into the registry as well.

But it's turned into a competition for Best Set.

20. physics-fan3.14

I think the key concept that has made the Registry so successful is the fact that there is a ranking/competition aspect to it. That's what makes it "exciting" (as much as something like this can be). Seeing how your collection stacks up against others, and searching, striving to upgrade your set, is one of the biggest draws of the system (and is why people spend so much money on PCGS coins to upgrade their sets). Whether you rank by points, grade point average, or some other sort of system - ranking and competition is core to the Registry.

geekpryde likes this.
  21. geekpryde

As I said before, anyone can essentially do exactly as you say, and just ignore the point system. There are lots of benefits as I outlined before, and additionally, if you want to "tell a story" about each coin, and share with the community why you picked it, hows it special, the history of the design, etc., the NGC Journal system makes this (somewhat) easy.

Again, anyone can optionally ignore the competition aspect of it, but I think your point was that if everyone else is participating, it's sort of a feeding frenzy that hard to ignore?

Personally, I take a heavy dose of the registry / inventory features and a small dose of the competition. I don't totally ignore the ranking and points, but I also don't let it control my collection. Which may be obvious, by my low rankings. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted