Join the ANA?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bill Henderson, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson New Member

I'm thinking about it. The cost, though. I could buy a nice coin for that money. Who is a member? Can anyone tell me why they think it's good to spend money on a membership instead of buying a nice coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. evillageprowler

evillageprowler New Member

I am an ANA member, and have been a regular one (as opposed to a junior or life member) for several years. Aside from being to submit coins to NGC, I have not had a single real benefit.

The mag that they give to members, The Numismatist, is not one that I look forward to reading every month...

I am now a paid member of the Collector's Society, so I no longer need the ANA to submit coin to NGC or NCS. I am seriously considering letting my membership lapse.

EVP

4. Bill Henderson

Oh. That doesn't sound good. Maybe I will not join then.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy EVP - I was wondering when you would show up - Welcome to the Forum !!

Joining or not joining the ANA is something only the individual can decide. For some folks it is a good thing - for others it may not be. I would suggest that you visit their site and decide for yourself. But there is one benefit that may be of use to you. The ANA has one of if not the largest numismatic library there is. And they make the books availabe to members - just like a regular library. They also have many videos - and conduct many classes in various locations around the country regarding the study of coins.

And since good referrence volumes on coins can cost a lot of money - that benefit alone could justify the membership fee. But only you can decide that.

6. Reid Goldsborough

Reid Goldsborough New Member

I'll second that, about the ANA library. If you like learning about coins rather than just acquiring them, you should read about them, and the ANA library is a terrific resource. You pay just for round-trip shipping. Some of the videotapes are also interesting, also from the library. And the Numismatist is a pretty good publication, not a reason to join in itself but a nice benefit.

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I am a Member

I have to agree with Reid Goldsborough. The library alone is worth the cost of membership. In addition to "learning about coins" the fact is that publications determine markets. What made the 1804 Dollar? The many articles and eventually the book written about it. Without those, it is just another $80,000 novodel.

If you buy coins without reading, you pay twice: Once for the coin and once for the book that someone else read which you did not.

As for the Numismatist, there are many times when I am "not interested" in what it has when it arrives... but later, I go through the back issues looking for the fact I need, the ad I read, or whatever.

Collection insurance is another benefit. There are many.

8. Coin Chick

Coin Chick Loves Gold

How much does it cost again? Is the library extra?

9. Bill Henderson

I'm going to hold off on the membership for now. Too much conflicting information. I would like to hear more about the library though. Is there an online resource showing what they have in the collection?

10. numist

numist Member

http://www.money.org
    This is the A.N.A. home page. That should point you in the right direction for the library and on-line resources.
    FWIW, I am a member, joined long ago, let it lapse and restarted a while back.
    I look forward to The Numismatist in the mail every month, especially the Consumer Alert column...very interesting sometimes (exposes scams and such).
    I know that the cost of membership seems high and there are a few detractors because of the Accu-crap situation, but all in all I think the A.N.A. is good for the hobby in the long run.
    Hope this helps.

11. laz

laz New Member

I agree with all the comments here,it's an individual choice to join or not. Will it help you?It depends on your interests and how much research it calls for.The library is definately a plus to research,but if you never use it,what good is it? :roll: The Numismatist has some worthwhile articles,but it's mostly ads like any other magazine. :( There are many good online clubs you can join for free,no librarys but live communication where you can ask experts firsthand.I believe in these new forums,and think it's the club of the future.Unless the old coin clubs begin to include more online, they won't be here tomorrow.Interested in a good U.S. coin club that's free? Might I recommend U.S.Coin Collecting? It's part of the Error World Coin Club Complex.(EW4) It's only a couple month's old and already has 180+ member's.This club room has several assistant's that are experienced with online coin clubs.Check it out,I think you'll like it.~ Jim 8)
    http://groups.msn.com/USCoinCollecting/_whatsnew.msnw

12. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Intangibles Are Always Worth What You Pay For Them

You know, it is common for someone to pay $25 for a coin that they later discover they could have bought for $6 and they say "Oh, well!" and chalk it up to education. But when it comes to the ANA, "I don't know" is the rule of thumb, the easy way out.

The ANA is 111 years old. How bad can it be? If you spend $35 and do not get your money's worth from the membership, you can always get your $35 back in complaints, gripes, and moans to newsgroups. :)

The Library has every book you would want. If you want one and they do not have it, let the world know because it would be an oversight.

The Collector's Insurance covers you when you are on the road with your coins. It costs less if you actually keep them in a bank vault.

The ANA has group plans for medical insurance, car rentals, on and on...

The "Money Market" store has books and supplies discounted for members.

Speaking of that and the Library. The Library recently had an Auction fundraiser. They sold off books that people donated for the sale. I got the Lemke catalog of US Paper Money for $5 -- just by asking. I made my bids and got the other books (Goethe's Renaissance Medals, for instance) and when I did not get the Lemke book, I sent an "Aw shucks!" note with my check and they sent me another copy of the book with an invoice for $5. That is not something that comes in a membership brochure or is placed online.

Membership in the ANA has so many benefits, it amazes me that people waffle on this.

13. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

I have been a member for three years and I can't see myself ever not being a member.

The biggest personal perk for me is the magazine which I love...it is supposed to be changing as of the next issue so I have my fingers crossed that it will remain that way. :)

Even without all of the personal benefits, I would be a member just for the warm fuzzy of supporting a hobby organization. I may not agree with everything they do. I may not like all of the board members, etc but I like to think that, overall, the organization does good for the hobby. Their YN (Young Numismatist) program is a case in point.

There are a lot of benefits I have not used but I will get around to them,I am sure, but even if I don't...I will still be a member.

$35 is a lot more than I typically spend on a single coin but I have no problem spending that for a yearly ANA membership.

Besides, as a member, I like to think I can moan and complain about them freely and I have done so on occasion. Sometimes, it even prompts a response from them. :)

14. evillageprowler

evillageprowler New Member

Bill,

Even though I am considering letting my membership lapse, I think you'd be better off getting a membership to the ANA. My impression is that most people, especially folks just getting started in coins, find the ANA membership a good thing.

I think my reasons for letting it lapse will not apply to you.

EVP

15. rkkay

rkkay New Member

I'm a member. Right now, they are sending me six books from their library. Members can borrow up to six books at a time. Some coin shows also give discounts to members.

Draft saved Draft deleted