Join local coin club? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ndwolf68, Jan 1, 2019.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I am in coin club "hog heaven", central Pennsylvania. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an active coin club here. I'm going to be totally honest - I VASTLY prefer the coin club model of collecting to the "poor substitute at best" status of ANYTHING online, INCLUDING this site. At one Red Rose Coin Club meeting, I can talk to more, and more knowledgeable collectors, than in a year on CoinTalk. That's not talking DOWN CoinTalk as much as it is a tribute to Red Rose. Same applies to the Chicago Coin Club - smaller in attendees, but more ultra high-end collectors.

Paul M., kaparthy and ndwolf68 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

FWIW, I are a National Exhibit Judge, as are about 10 other Red Rose members, IF they get around to re-certifying. My son is one, also.

My closest club is Harrisburg, and that meeting is tomorrow. 8 minutes away.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    ndwolf68 likes this.
  4. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Joined a nearby club c. 15 yrs. ago, attracted by the fact that it features an auction with 40-60 lots at each monthly meeting. Provides a great way to pass on dupes and has allowed me to pick up some nice stuff through the years. We have — intermittently — managed to sponsor a Winter coin show with 60 or so tables, with good success. Not much in the way of organized educational opportunities or show-and-tell, but we’ve got a lot of knowledgeable/experienced collectors plus some part-time dealers and they are generous with their knowledge. I never found them a cliquish bunch; quite the reverse! Definitely recommend the coin club experience.

ndwolf68 and Trimbit like this.
  5. Trimbit

Trimbit Learning a lot

Club i am about to become a member of also has an auction at the end of the meeting and they also have a coin show every year in march that is alot bigger than I thought it would be when I attended last year. Been a member of COIN TALK around two and a half weeks and am blown away by what I DO NOT know!

ndwolf68 likes this.
  6. ndwolf68

ndwolf68 Member

You are so right... I feel the same way, as I thought I'd have a little clue about collecting. The few threads I have participated in show me I know BUPKIS and that is about it. Lol! :dead:

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I am happy for you, but you have to consider Metro Detroit. In Michigan, MSNS has 25 local member clubs. Of those, 12 are within 30 minutes of each other in the Metro Detroit area. Remember that Dr. George Heath lived in Monroe, Michigan, and that set the stage 125 years ago. I think that if we named names MSNS would give PAN a run for its money.

For me, it is apples and oranges. I grant you that you have a special circumstance in Red Rose. It is a highly respected local club. But it is unique. Not everyone everywhere can enjoy that. So, you are lucky to live where you do.

That said, expertise is where you find it. We all have passions. Sociologists have long known that online people are less likely to be cowed by bravado, whereas in live meetings, dominant personalities monopolize the attention of an audience.

As for the "ultra high end collectors" if you are speaking of price tags it just does not mean that much to me as the deep knowledge that comes from continued research over time. The best of both worlds, of course, is the researcher who buys the best of the best, the plate coins from books, and who knows the true history of them. And we have someone like that locally in a club that can't draw 20 members. But we have more than one of them here at CoinTalk.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, for reasons that are not obvious, the auto industry spawned many a coin collector.

9. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Glory days... The UAW Coin Club just went inactive.

10. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Yes, and your mileage may vary. Go for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted