John II Billion Aspron Trachy SBCV-1944

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, May 26, 2018.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Here is a gem from my collection I bought many years ago. I don't take it out to often because I am afraid of losing silver. I decided to try to reshoot it today. Not a great coin except the amount of silver , when I bought it I was told the story of two dealers in dispute over the coins ( It was part of a found hoard.) being electrum or not, they sent the group to David Sear and he stated they were Billion but with a very high content of silver. Here is my example from that group. I have also included another example I own to demonstrate the difference. c4.jpg d4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh wow, that's very silvery! Nice coin @BenSi !

BenSi likes this.
  4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

This Alexius I (1081-1118) really is this silvery, which is remarkable for a late billon aspron trachy.
    AlexiusSilvery.jpg
    26-24 mm. 4.28 grams.
    Sear 1918
    DO IV.II 25 "struck 1093-1118"

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My John II is fairly silvery, but nothing like that or Valentinian's Alexius! Neat stuff.

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 10.39.25 PM.jpg

6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

The silver content for these coins were at 6 to 7% at their best , by the time of Alexius III it was down to 2-3%

Alegandron likes this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Perhaps something like the antoninianus coins of Aurelian or Probus that started out with a silvery coating that quickly wore off it circulation.

8. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Yes, the silver coating did exist and did wear off quickly.
    About 15 years ago a huge hoard of John II and Manuel entered the coin market, the price of Trachea collapsed for a time, the coins that came in were still mostly silvered , some more than others but with handling the silver coating wore off.
    The metal mix still contained silver but the coating was a thin layer for visual effect. My coin does not seem that delicate, in fact I bought it before the hoard came into the market. I was concerned at the time of the new hoard that my coin would never regain its buy price again.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted