John Conduitt's Top 10 Ancients of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Conduitt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A great selection John. I love the Julian siliqua in particular, and the potin too which is far more recognisable than most you see that have devolved to two bars.

John Conduitt likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

Very nice. I would certainly like to own a siliqua, much less an East Harptree example. I would also like to add a Bohemond but they are just the other side of impulse buy price.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My favorite here is the A-Pi Britannia as. Much better than the vast majority of them, and just a nice looking coin.

5. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Interesting selection - especially the aes formatum

6. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Except the owl that is simply beautiful, I like the nice toned siliqua and the A. Pius Britannia coin. Congratulations !

7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Very nice! I quite like the Denga

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

John, Your number one the cast cockle shell is a beauty , nice heavy piece,
    it dwarfes the ones I have:

P1160321.JPG

9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I really like #10/ #9/ #8 a LOT!
    That Denga is outstanding from Moscow. The "Cannon ball"/#1 piece is very interesting/ thanks so much for showing them:)

10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

This is an amazing window into what collecting from the UK can look like. @John Conduitt, your examples are no less cool than their combined breadth and conceptual cohesion. (...Well, okay, mainly the UK ones.)
    My instant favourites, in no order, have to be your remarkably early, 15th c. AR (denga????) of Moscow, your benignly, no less emphatically In-Sane penny of Burgred, and that terrific imitation Constantinian commemorative AE.
    Amazing stuff.

11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Interesting collection, @John Conduitt, looks like an excellent year. #10, #8, #3 are the ones the appeal to me the most. Best wishes for a great 2021!

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

A fantastic set of coins @John Conduitt . My favorite is your #1 which is a nice and hefty piece of “coinage”. I like your #10 for the same reasons you outline. I enjoy coins that signify the beginning of a new denomination because they are usually associated with some historical event. I also like you Bohemond III. These are neat and we are fortunate that they are so abundant. Here is mine.
    967A8373-9CE0-4FB6-94A8-7DD312BFA49C.jpeg

13. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

WOW! I love 10 and 8 because I know nothing about them and they will send me down a rabbit hole and probably cost me money!!
    Seriously - this is a great list!

14. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

That Burgred penny is really great! And thanks for the Cantii link.

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great top 20, @John Conduitt ! Like them all. Enamored with your Aes Formatum!

Proto-Money:
    [​IMG]

Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum scallop shell with Ribs 4th BCE

[​IMG]
    Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell 25mm 12.8g

Draft saved Draft deleted