John C. Helwig remembered

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BRandM, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Helwig 1.JPG Helwig 2.JPG
    This is a personal stamp of John C. Helwig, a dairy farmer in New Philadelphia, OH during the latter years of the 19th century. Counterstamps issued by farmers are pretty unusual but this man was college educated and practiced and lectured on scientific farming methods of the day. He was born in Canal Dover in 1858. I researched the counterstamp 5 or 6 years ago, and with the help of a coin collector friend of mine who lives in this part of Ohio, we came up with the attribution. When I saw it on eBay recently I decided it would be a nice addition to my collection and was lucky enough to win it. It's nice to own a piece that you've researched and added to the growing list of these historic tokens. Thanks for looking.

Bruce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'm glad someone who is serious and knows about these type of coins, now own's it. I did some extensive research on a medal one time, and greatly increased my knowledge about the recipient. Oddly enough, it was about another dairy farm operated by the very first co-op of dairy farmers in the US. What is it with these guys? :>)

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for the interesting post. Do you have any other Helwig counterstamped coins?

5. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Man, I've just recently noticed that some of those full-named counterstamps on Seated host coins go for boo-koo $$$!

But, as you've mentioned, with the stories behind each stamp, it's easy to understand why they pull-in so much! They're interesting and each one is unique... I'd love to learn more about 'em. :)

Maybe I'll pick up the Brunk guide (I believe that's the name of the enthusiast's book) sometime soon.

-Brian

6. BRandM

I like to know the history behind anything I buy for my collection so do a lot of research on them. I can only think of a handful of other counterstamps issued by farmers and I believe they're personal pieces and not related to advertising their business. Yeah, what it is it with these guys! Thanks for your comments Sam.

Bruce

7. BRandM

No I don't Collect. I would be very surprised if this weren't unique, most pocket pieces or personal stamps are. This coin doesn't look as though he carried it around in his pocket, but he may have kept it in his wallet or in something that protected it. I like the fact that he dated it (1876) so you know exactly how old it is. Thanks Collect!

Bruce

8. BRandM

You're right Brian, the price has gone up dramatically in the past few years for counterstamps, especially attributed ones. The larger denomination coins like the S/L Halves, or any silver coins for that matter, are much pricier than once were and not just because of the silver content. There's a hardcore group of collectors who bid these things up so it makes it difficult to keep up with them at times. Although I'm fortunate to be able to run with the big dogs on ocassion, there are times that I just stay on the porch. :D
    The book you're thinking of is Greg Brunk's "Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins" published in 2003. It's the "bible" of this area of coin collecting for sure. It's out of print, but you can find a copy on eBay once in awhile. Rich Harzog probably has a few copies to sell on his website also. I forget his address but you can just google his name and it will come up. Thanks for your input Brian.

Bruce

9. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Bruce, that's a great piece you have there. I like that it's done using individual punches, it adds a lot of character. It does seem kind of odd for a dairy farmer to have lettered punches laying around though, I wonder what other uses he had for them. I guess the other possibility is he had someone else use their tools to make it for him.

10. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

If this was really punched in 1876 and he was born in 1858 then likely he wasn't a farmer yet, at least not on his own, as he woud have been 18 years old.
    Could it have been a graduation present?
    This is an interesting story to me too. My great great and great grandfathers also were farmers in Tuscarawas County during the middle and late 1800's. In fact my great great grandfather built what is believed to be the first house (that has been restored by his decendants) built in what is now present day Sugarcreek.

It would be interesting to know whether Mr. Helwig and my grandpa ever had any dealings.

11. BRandM

Cool story D.T., it's a small world isn't it? You know he may have been farming on his own at 18, people tended to grow up in a hurry in those days. I would be willing to bet that they at least knew of each other even if they weren't actually friends. This is what I like about counterstamps, they tend to be very personal and sometimes tell you a lot about the era in which the issuer lived. BTW, my collector friend in Ohio lives in Gnadenhutten in the county. Thanks for the comments.

Bruce

12. BRandM

Nice to have your input Hunter. He may have had a set of punches to mark his tools and equipment, or like you say, someone else made it for him.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted