Jewelry, PM, Gold/Silver Scale

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by masterswimmer, Mar 21, 2019.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Just wondering which scale is the most widely accepted scale for accuracy?
    Which scale do most of you experts rely on?

I've been looking them over. One of the most glaring differences is the decimal placement. I see they are typically offered in .1 or .01 or .001
    Is the thousandth place even dependable on these digital scales that go for less than $30?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would not buy anything less than .01 and recommend .001, as it has a far better accuracy. Also, consider the gram amount. I'd also recommend 50g. Ike dollars weigh almost 25g, so a 20g scale will limit you there, and ASEs weigh 31.1g, so a 30g scale will limit you there as well. I looked at the one I purchased and it seems to be cheaply made, but more expensive compared to some of the $20 models I've seen. I see no reason not to pick up one of the cheaper ones, but make sure it can be calibrated, and buy calibration weights, if they do not come with them. I don't remember when/why I selected the model I have, but I like it, it's a mini-pro 50gx.001 and comes with calibration weights. Here's one, for example, that seems to do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4F9BR...&pd_rd_r=577902c2-4bdb-11e9-96ba-09dd5d4e5c18 (but note: battery operated).

The photo below isn’t of my scale and not the one linked.
    696A8981-9276-42F9-9E19-81B8E8CC0B30.jpeg

masterswimmer likes this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You can buy the usual fleaBay/Amazon route, but calibrate carefully.

If you want some hand-holding I recommend Old Will Knott...

5. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

ACC2000 Winstead Peters. I measure out gun powder with one to the 1/10th of a grain (0.0002 troy oz) and trust some 'valuable equipment' to it's accuracy. Easily calibrates with the supplied weight. I also use known RCBS weights down to 0.5 grain to make sure it's reading properly. It's excellent. I think they're about $130. Don't drop it or drop something on it and don't store in the foam. Works off of batteries or supplied AC adapter. US made in TX last I knew.

Edit: Just thought I'd add, they are very affordable for weighing the light stuff. When I was studying them the higher cost ones seemed to be ones that would weight accurately at the low end and at much higher weights. That's not what you're looking for so yes, they are pretty affordable and accurate. I've had mine for years. I can't vouch for the cheaper ones longevity.

6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Accuracy or capacity or price ---- choose one

Vess1 likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It really depends on what you are wanting to do with it. If you want an accurate weight of a single coin the 50 gram with .001 gram precision is great. If you are wanting to buy precious metals and someone brings you a serving plate it is worthless. Frankly two scales would be what you need. One capable of handling the largest item you might reasonably expect to buy, accurate to .1 grams, and the 50 gram .001 grams scale for checking precise weight on rarer coins to avoid counterfeits or for small weight purchases gem stones etc.

Hookman and masterswimmer like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I use this 50.001 balance for most gemstones and coins and the batteries last many months due to the auto shut-off. For the pricing I have a couple. I took one of mine to the College chem lab and the current instructor compared mine and a 200.0001 balance About $3000 and they agreed up to the 3rd digit. But I would recommend to anyone to buy a calibration weight set and protect it from corrosion by using inert tweezers( forceps) to handle as any balance will drift over time with use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFQR2S8/ref=psdc_1068986_t3_B00AVA0W70?th=1

Jim

Hookman and masterswimmer like this.
  9. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted