Jeremy's top 10 of 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jb_depew, Dec 10, 2021.

1. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

2021 has flown by, and I can’t believe it’s already time for another top 10 post. I’ve shifted my collecting focus mostly to Greek and Roman provincial, though I did pick up a couple of Roman imperial coins that didn’t make this list. Because of the crazy auction prices, I picked up only 15 or 20 coins in total over the year, while simultaneously paring down certain categories in my collection that I’ve become less interested in. Overall, I’d say it was a successful year. :)

I hope you are all well, staying warm, and enjoying some time off as we enter the holiday season!

- Jeremy

[​IMG]

10 - Pontos, Amisos, Mithradates VI Eupator Bronze Æ 28
    85-65 BC
    Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet, decorated with griffin.
    Reverse: AMI-ΣO[Y], Perseus standing facing, wearing pointed helmet and himation, holding harpa in right hand and head of Medusa in left, whose decapitated body lies at his feet, monogram to left and right.
    References: SNG BM Black Sea 1166-8; SNG Copenhagen 137.
    28mm; 19.15g

[​IMG]

9 - Lesbos, Methymna AR Hemiobol
    350/30-250/40 BC
    Obverse: Facing head of Silenos.
    Reverse: Tortoise in linear circle within shallow incuse circle.
    References: SNG Copenhagen -; SNG von Aulock -; Traité II 2262; Hoover HGC 6, 901; Franke, Münzprägung 18b.
    7.3mm; 0.36g

This is the smallest coin in my collection - it was a bit hard to photograph and is much nicer in-hand.

[​IMG]

8- Sicily, Syracuse, Agathokles, Æ Hemidrachm
    317-289 BC
    Obverse: ΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ; Diademed head of Apollo left; Palladion behind, AI below.
    Reverse: Gorgoneion at center of triskeles of human legs with winged feet.
    References: BAR issue 5; CNS 121; SNG ANS 546; Calciati 121 DS i; HGC 2, 1459.
    20mm; 7.1g

[​IMG]

7 - Lycian League, Masikytes AR Hemidrachm
    28-18 BC
    Obverse: Λ-Y; Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Reverse: M-A to left and right of lyre, tripod in lower right field, all within incuse square.
    References: RPC I 3310; Troxell, Lycian, Period IV, Series 6, 110, SNG Von Auclok 4330.
    15x18mm; 1.57g

[​IMG]

6 - Thrace, Maroneia AR Triobol
    398-347 BC
    Obverse: Forepart of horse to left, H-P flanking.
    Reverse: Vine-branch with bunch of grapes, M-A across fields, all within dotted square border and incuse square.
    References: Schönert-Geiss 197; BMC 33; HGC 3.2, 1534; McClean 3964.
    Size: 14mm; 3.0g

I'm not sure what the under-type is for this - any ideas?

[​IMG]

5 - Islands off Ionia, Chios, Pseudo-autonomous issue, time of Trajan to Hadrian, 3 Assaria
    98-138 AD
    Obverse: ΤΡΙΑ / ΑCCΑΡΙΑ; Sphinx seated right, lifting right forepaw over prow of galley.
    Reverse: Χ-Ι/Ω-Ν Apollo, on left, holding phiale in his right hand, and Dionysos, on right, holding kantharos in his right hand, standing facing either side of altar.
    References: Mavrogordato 106; RPC III 1901.
    30mm; 14.80 g

[​IMG]

4- Kings of Macedon, style of Philip II AR tetradrachm
    359-336 BC
    Minted at Amphipolis
    Struck Circa 323-315 under Antipater, Polyperchon, or Kassander.
    Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Reverse: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ; Youth, holding palm frond, riding horse right; below, trident-head control mark to right.
    References: Le Rider, Pl. 31, 213; Le Rider 46/1; SNG ANS 691.
    24mm; 14.48g

[​IMG]

3 - Egypt, Alexandria, Gallienus potin tetradrachm
    253-268 AD
    Struck in RY 14 = 266/7 AD
    Obverse: AΥT K Π ΛIK ΓAΛΛIHNOC CЄB; Laureate and cuirassed bust of Gallienus to right.
    Reverse: L / I - Δ Draped bust of Serapis to right, wearing kalathos; to right, palm frond.
    References: Dattari (Savio) 5261. Emmett 3829.14. K&G 90.95.
    23mm; 10.72g

This tetradrachm has an excellent depiction of Serapis in fine style, though the obverse is a bit rough.

[​IMG]

2 - Attica, Athens AR tetradrachm
    440-404 BC
    Mid-mass coinage issue
    Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet ornamented with three laurel leaves and vine scroll.
    Reverse: AΘE; Owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig with berry and crescent moon behind, all within incuse square.
    References: HGC 4, 1597. SNG Copenhagen 31-40. Kroll 8.
    27 mm; 17.22 g

[​IMG]

1 - Islands Off Caria, Kos, AR tetradrachm
    Circa 350-345 BC
    Struck under magistrate Athamas
    Obverse: Bearded head of Herakles to right, wearing lion’s skin headdress.
    Reverse: Veiled head of Demeter left; AΘAMAΣ to right, KΩION below.
    References: Karl 350. Pixodarus, phase 4, 12 (O7/P7).
    29mm; 15.17g

Curtisimo, eparch, Herodotus and 40 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I prefer #9. I like small turtles.

jb_depew likes this.
  4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Wooooosh!...A very nice selection!....Love the #8, #6 and #4...
    But are all super looking coins! Congrats on a really impressive 12 months of collecting!

jb_depew likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice. I really like the Serapis portrait on the Gallienus tet as a devotee of the coins of Roman Egypt. Fine style.

jb_depew likes this.
  6. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Very nice coins! I'd have to go with the Kos tet. Interesting version of Herakles (with a beard).

jb_depew likes this.
  7. jb_depew

Agreed, though I wonder how someone in antiquity would have used such a tiny coin and not dropped it.

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Apparently some people kept these tiny coins in their mouths.

somewhere there a Greek comedy with a scene of a guy getting scammed at the market when he puts the “coins” in his mouth and realizes they are fish scales

jb_depew and Ryro like this.
  9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a wonderful year!
    I love your #1, 4 and 9! But all are excellent additions:cigar:
    I picked up some of those this year as well:
    2184097_1631628307.l-removebg-preview.png 1786510_1616944828.l-removebg-preview.png Screenshot_20210529-094059_Chrome.jpg

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Love that Silenos portrait. The turtle ('scuze me- tortoise) is just icing on the cake.[​IMG]

Something about those grapes in that beaded square just "clicks" with me. Love the vine details, as well.
    [​IMG]

WOW!
    [​IMG]

Wow again.
    [​IMG]

11. jb_depew

Thanks! Roman tets with Egyptian themes is a fun collecting area and one I want to explore more.
    It makes sense that someone with poor vision would have to taste-test their money :)

I'll bet ancient latrine sites are good places to metal detect. In those days everyone was just one back slap away from swallowing their lunch money.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd certainly love the opportunity to go diggin' in some Classical crapper, if you'll forgive the alliterative description of that.

TIF and jb_depew like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic all ten, but if I had to pick one it would be Philip II TET, great detail and toning, congrats on what looks like a great year.

lordmarcovan and jb_depew like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I LOVE that Sphinx!!!

jb_depew likes this.
  15. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Very nice selections, @jb_depew. :)

My favorites are #4, 9 and 10.
    I like the cute little portrait of your Lesbos hemi-obol

jb_depew likes this.
  16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A wonderful group. #s 9, 7, and 4 for my favorites -- the tortoise, the lyre, and the youth on horseback.

jb_depew likes this.
  17. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

You have some seriously beautiful coins there. If I had to choose I'd probably pick the Silenos hemiobol, the Agathokles bronze and the Philip II tetradrachm. But I really like them all.:)

Happy hunting in '22!

jb_depew likes this.
  18. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

#1 & # 4 are absolute bangers!!

jb_depew likes this.
  19. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Awesome coins, all are one of a kind. Congrats. My favorites 1, 2, 4 and 5. Ups, only 3 coins? No way:happy:

jb_depew likes this.
  20. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins! Each of them has something special. I really like no's 1, 4, 6 and 7.

jb_depew likes this.
  21. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Overall, I will totally agree with you. Very nice group. Thanks for posting.

jb_depew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted