Jefferson nickel set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldSilver, Mar 26, 2012.

1. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Hey everybody. Being the young numismatist that i am, i dont really have the funds to buy higher end coins. To keep myself as a collector satisfied, as well as keep a positive amount of money in my ba account i collect more modern ses such as lincoln cents. I have collected all the memorials and all of 1940-1950 in bu so now that its time to move onto the more expensive stuff id like to hold off for a while and change pace. Im very interested in starrting a jefferson nickel set. I had a few questions for some of you who may already have a full se or are near the end of completing your set. First off i was wondering how much would you estimate the whole set cost you? Obviously this is personal information so if you dont want to share i understand. I was also wondering how long it took to complete your set. I have heard from many people that even though jeffersons are cheap, its better to wait and buy the right coin first rather then buying the first coin you see and upgrading later. Any other advice from you jeff collectors is highly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

-Ryan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Well I've got the complete 1938-2003 set except for 3 coins, but I pulled them all from rolls and they're circulated so I can't really help you much :p but personally the nickels are by far my favorite coin in circulation today. I don't know why but I've always loved them even as a little kid. Best of luck with your collecting! :)

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Ryan,

As someone who collects Jeffersons for the same reasons you mention, I can say that true quality pieces are not that easy to find. However, I see nothing wrong with buying quite beautiful coins that are attractive (if not technically perfect) if the cost is less than $10. THAT is why I like Jeffersons so much... That being said - I think many will reply with the response, "Buy a coin that makes you happy - because then you won't regret it later on down the road."

Of course, collecting Jeffersons has definitely taught me a thing or two about being PICKY...lol

I'll keep an eye out for you this summer when I sort coins for my auctioneer friend - if I come across any nice doubles, I'll let you know! Feel free to send me a wish list around May 1...

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Here's my most recent addition:

1939 Jefferson Nickel DDR - Reverse.jpg

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I'm actually putting together a Jefferson set, but each one is BU condition and must have some steps on it, preferably full steps if I can find them. I don't know how much exactly I've spent so far but it's probably well over $150 to $200 easily so far (a bunch I got by buying uncirculated sets so I can piece together my Dime, Quarter and Half piece BU sets as well). I think last count, I still need about 15-20 of them to complete. So, really it depends on what grade you are seeking in them. I can see someone putting together a circulated AU or lower for under a $100 easily.

8. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

If you do not mind roll searching or just searching change, than alone can keep you busy. You can get an album - find what you can and start putting them into the album. Then you can continually search for better coins. Some you will probably have to buy, you should be able to find some in decent shape. Enjoy and take you time.

10. Johnvan

Johnvan Member

I have an "almost" complete set all uncirculated, no proofs in a Dansco
    album. I am missing 10 from the late 30's to early 40's then 2 from late 90's.
    I am saying you can probably do a set of uncirculated for about $400.---HTH---John

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If you took the time to collect a BU set of Lincolns, I think you would be disappointed in a circulated set of Jeffersons. If you can do without registry quality coins, almost every coin in this set can be had for less than ten bucks in BU. Much of this collection should be only a dollar or two a coin. Personally, I"m a proof collector, so I always collect moderns with proofs. It is still a fairly easy collection to fill, have fun and collect a set that you can be proud of.

12. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Yes, for all of you wondering im looking to put together a high quality BU set in a dansco. When bu coin can be had for less than 10 bucks a pop, a circulated set seems pointless to me. This nickel set isnt just going to be a fun little hobby for me, i want to take it seriously and work on my discipline and patience when it comes to finding the right coins.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The best bet for cheap with Jeffersons is to look for nice gemmy coins from new dies but have a little reverse marking. Of course what's cheap varies by date. Early dates can be found gemmy easily but you'll usually pay for it so look for off strikes. Since strikes tend to be better these will still be nice attractive coins. Middle dates ('68-'80) can be extremely cheap and being picky with die condition and strike can pay off. You can find the '86 to date coins in nice PL without breaking the bank if you can stand some scratches.

The whole series tends to be available quite cheap right below the highest graded coins and the Full Steps. If you take your time price will be so low as to be nearly immaterial. Seriously, if you buy it from dealer stock while selecting the nice coins a few hundred dollars should do it. If you just want Unc you can send off for a complete set for about the same price but it will be all junk.

The '39-D and '42-D will be a little problematical but all these can be found cheap from time to time.

14. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

That's a nice double monticello there. I love Jeffersons. I just finished a set of them and they look great in a dansco. I started to collect them when times turned hard a couple of years ago. I was on a coin budget. Shop around you can get some very nice coins for not a lot of money. Their are only a couple that cost a lot in a nice BU set. You're learn to look for a nice strike and be patient.

15. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Seeing as you dont have the funds to buy your collection I suggest doing something much more economical, as well as in my opinion fun and fullfilling. Roll hunt for your jefferson set. It will only cost you 5 cents per coin and with a bit of patience you can find some real beauties and key dates/ errors.

16. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Ive roll hunted for my Kennedy set and have gotten quite a few MS65 coins (ive roll hunted about $6000 of halves thus far) Then for the older years I was lucky enough to buy the silver coins for under melt and they had been in storage since the 70s so some where very nice.

The point is be patient and roll hutning is your friend.

17. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Thanks for the advice but i was going for a BU set preferably around mint state 66. Whenni said i didnt have much money i was basing that on the coin world. I have a decent amount of expendable money. A bu set of jeffs i dont think should cost more than 500 so i think i should be able to complete it in less than a year. Circulated jeffersons in rolls to me are ugly and pointless since gem specimens can easily be bought. No offense!!! Just my thoughts. Thank you again for the advice though

Draft saved Draft deleted