Jefferson Nickel Reverse of 1971

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coloradobryan, Mar 29, 2015.

1. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I would like to make my first post about the Jefferson nickel Reverse of 1971 and to explain some of my observations. First, I believe that there are three types of the Reverse of 71. The first type, RDV-006, has no railings on Monticello. It is found only on 71 and 71-d. The second type, RDV-007, has a line cut from one side of the dome to the other for the railing, ending on the right side without a vertical line. This type is found on both the 71 and 71-d, and the 72 and 72-d. The third type is very much like the second type except on the right side, there has been added a vertical line ending the railing. This type is found on 72 and 72-d and up through 76.

I have not been able yet to look at the proofs for 1971 and 1972 to check what was used on the proofs. I do have a 72-s which has the type 2 railings, that I found in circulation.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. oi!

oi! Member

Thanks for the info. Do these help?

Attached Files:

4. coloradobryan

Both coins appear to be the type 2. Does anyone have a 71-s of the first type or a 72-s of the third type?

5. oi!

oi! Member

I've got a ton of 71 and 72 s's. I'll check them out when I get some time.

6. coop

coop Senior Member

Are you referring to these differences for the different RDVs?
    I didn't label them as I was unsure which was which?
    [​IMG]
    So I need an image of the 007. Still looking....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  7. coloradobryan

The first and third appear to be reverse of 1971, weak railings, the second and fourth most likely are the reverse of 1977, too much detail to be from the reverse of 1940, modified in 1967 for the SMS. There is a ghost of a railing line on the first and third pic, I believe it was the first mod of the 71 reverse, only found on 71 and 71-d. On the second type the railing is strengthened and on the third mod, a vertical line is added to the end of the railing.

8. coop

coop Senior Member

I've got to recheck my images. Your probably correct.
    [​IMG]
    Yes wrong date.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted