Jefferson Nickel: PCGS Full Steps? Yes or NO!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2020.

?

Does this Jefferson Nickel qualify for PCGS FS (Full Steps)?

1. YES

2. NO

3. IDK (Just Show Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Gouges, marks, scrapes, and nicks are not evidence of circulation. The only thing that makes a coin go from uncirculated to circulated is wear. This coin doesn't have any wear, therefore it isn't circulated. And as I stated previously, I pulled the coin directly from a mint set.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Well, Five people responded to your post before I did. They were all negative. Many after my post did also . Guess it's just me. It has been fun sparring but it is what it is. Best of luck in all your ventures ....martha

4. Lehigh96

I agree with you on all of your points except the resultant grade. The coin has gem grade luster and I grade the coin at minimum MS64 FS with a shot at MS65 FS. Its worth $50-$100. I paid nothing for it, but if I spend $20 to get it graded and it doesn't get full steps, the grading fee is wasted money.

5. Martha Lynn

Now your talking Mr., hope it goes well 4 ya !

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  6. Lehigh96

I value quality over quantity.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Older than 1965.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  8. Martha Lynn

I value water over brandy. Take care won't ya ?

9. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Here are plenty of examples of 5FS coins certified by PCGS. Each of them with similar bridging of steps, contact marks, etc. Most of them with even more significant marks and even less struck up steps. The last one even with a significant mark that clearly breaks the line but yet FS.

edit - @Razz the second coin even has a similar mark on the stylobate at the 4th column that you mentioned on the OP coin.

13859D37-C1F0-4ED3-9CE9-FD5C7C4A9576.jpeg B3DA9A78-FA8E-4039-A514-A5123E6718AA.jpeg BD63779A-CDD8-4E72-B99F-B148D79E577A.jpeg 0485BEB1-A452-4130-A290-9DD0FBB8CD80.jpeg 75130D07-CD4E-42B7-9E10-A363BF7578AA.jpeg 0B55741B-9570-4E6D-9E99-95DC7187ADF0.jpeg

Lehigh96 likes this.
  10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

If you are sure it is 5 steps, then send it out. The vindication of your judgement is worth $20. Why didn’t you just ask the specific person you wanted in the first place for his opinion, if ours are “quantity, not quality?”

11. Lehigh96

I value all the responses that people make to my threads. Just because I was using @kSigSteve as a bellwether for my submission of this coin, it is not an indictment of the other responses in the thread. That said, there are obviously some members of this forum who don't really understand the PCGS standard for the FS designation, so when someone tries to pull the numbers game on me, the "quality over quantity" comment was well deserved IMO.

RonSanderson likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd rather sip Grand Marnier with a coffee back.:)

GRAND MARNIER.jpg

Lehigh96 likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I didn't comment on this thread because I am the last person who should have a say on any nickel. However, I'm rooting for you Paul. I just wouldn't want to bet on PCGS for anything. Please let us know the outcome if you should decide to submit it.

Morgandude11 and Lehigh96 like this.
  14. Martha Lynn

You got it ! What ever floats your boat....martha

15. Martha Lynn

Reread your third paragraph. UNcirculated

16. Martha Lynn

Oh. The area of concern is in the red boxed in area of the photo I altered from your post.

17. Lehigh96

For the 3rd time, the coin is uncirculated and came directly from a mint set.

18. Lehigh96

The area in the red box is the 5th & 6th step which have no bearing on the FS designation.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

To me it's a toss-up....by the book it likely doesn't make it but by what PCGS has shown as acceptable, it likely does. I voted no but that was more of a guess given the unpredictable nature of such cases.

If you have other coins to send in, then take the 50/50 gamble (at least it will give you an answer-might not even be the correct answer but it will be an answer).

Sunflower_Coins and Lehigh96 like this.
  20. Lehigh96

That mirrors my thinking.

ddddd likes this.
  21. Martha Lynn

Good deal. If that TPG service is your go to authority, then by all means send it in. If damage to two steps is cool with them then it is fine by me. Congrats on your cool find.

Draft saved Draft deleted