Jefferson Nickel: PCGS Full Steps? Yes or NO!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2020.

?

Does this Jefferson Nickel qualify for PCGS FS (Full Steps)?

1. YES

2. NO

3. IDK (Just Show Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Seems to me you could have answered your own question. Why run it past a coin blog ? Just askin for a friend don'tcha know

Mike Davis likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Martha Lynn

Don't take my word for it. You already have the pics, send them over the net to Stacks Bowers. I doubt they have changed their standards. I hope they ask if you want to put it up on their auction. I'm rootin for ya ! I also believe full time auction and evaluation companies have quite a bit of " real life experience" to draw on. I realize you are talking TPG services. That is where we are butting heads. I'm talking realized prices on record at auctions. You are talking grading standards of a TPG ser.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Mountain Man likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I see what I would say a break above the C that to me should disqualify it from 5 FS. You are the expert on Jeff's Paul, just saying what I see.

5. Martha Lynn

I went back to op picture to look again. At best I see three uninterrupted steps above the T. Be that a die chip or pmd, It is not a five step by anybody's standard.

John Burgess likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

"It is what it is "

7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I think everyone is way overestimating PCGS's standards in this case.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

No way , Highest standards

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Polish_20201021_132550359.jpg Not FS. Top step between 3rd and 4th pillars has a major interruption.

Edit to add picture with green circle.

Mike Davis, Lehigh96 and Martha Lynn like this.
  10. Martha Lynn

Not according to O P. He stated they allow flaws of this or that.

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Many people don't realize the top step is the one that the pillars sit on.

12. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I’m going against the majority of the group. I think the coin is a 5FS coin. There is bridging of the 5th and 6th steps under each column. The only area you can see complete 6th step is between columns 1 & 2. There are minuscule nicks here and there but none that disqualify FS.

We are also looking at the coin so zoomed in that even these tiny marks are being blown out of proportion. In hand and even under a 10x loupe I’m confident this would pass as a FS.

Lehigh96 and furham like this.
  13. Martha Lynn

Now that you point that out, yea sure is.

14. Martha Lynn

O P stated the coin is uncirculated ? I see a scratch above the C & E that runs s. w. thru all steps. There are heavy gouges on the rr. field. Coin has been circulated.

John Burgess likes this.
  15. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

That's called the floor, that the pillar sits on ...
    Best part of the steps, is the viewers right .
    I, also, only counted 4 steps ...

16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Well it's older than 1968 as evidenced by the D to the right of Monticello.

It's also a worn die as evidenced by the orange peel texture through states of America, and stretch marks

black spot above the first L in Monticello,
    shallow scratch below the CE of Monticello
    wavy base to Monticello building. Nice cut in the window above the O in Monticello.

And that's what I can see and decided to comment about for now. I am sure if we had the entire coin to look at there's a laundry list of imperfections.
    Now, seriously.... what does 4 or 5 or 6 full steps even matter when a coin is MS 63 or lower??? Am I missing something here?????

Lehigh96 and Martha Lynn like this.
  17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Paul, these two photographs are taken from your 2009 thread on “Full steps for Jefferson Nickels” as illustrative examples. Compare it with the original coin, and see what you think after looking at your own example. As you know, I am a Jefferson collector—far less sophisticated or discerning as are you. Look at your own examples you posted as an archetype, and compare them to the original coin in the thread:

5 full steps:

B1AEFE06-4936-49C5-8FAA-3A38826611CF.jpeg

6 full steps:

57C1D4FE-469B-4E4B-999B-907F263AC309.jpeg

Mike Davis likes this.
  18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Despite my expertise, it is almost always beneficial to get extra sets of eyes to see something that I can't see. Also, there are some very specific members whose grading opinions on Jefferson Nickels I trust very much. If they agree that this coin is full steps, it will make the decision about submitting the coin much easier.

I'm not going to waste the time of someone working at Stacks over a $100 coin, and I am a legacy client at Heritage so I would certainly go there first if I wanted to go that route.

We will agree to disagree, I think it meets PCGS standard for FS.

19. Lehigh96

I honestly can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

20. Lehigh96

I'm not disputing what you are seeing, but that mark does not at all interrupt the line below it so it isn't a disqualifying mark.

21. Lehigh96

I stated earlier that I was looking for a particular members opinion on this coin, here it is.

kSigSteve likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted