Jefferson Nickel: PCGS Full Steps? Yes or NO!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2020.

?

Does this Jefferson Nickel qualify for PCGS FS (Full Steps)?

1. YES

2. NO

3. IDK (Just Show Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Would the Jefferson Nickel shown below qualify for the Full Step designation from PCGS? Please vote in the attached poll. It certainly wouldn't achieve full steps from NGC, but PCGS has more lenient standards, so what say you? Also, I am not divulging the date of the coin right away so don't ask what year it is.

[​IMG]

Please vote in the attached poll and explain the reason for your opinion in the comments.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

No Way . Absolutely not. Sorry. The steps are more broken than me .
    Full Steps Jefferson Nickels. “Full Steps” is a grading designation used for regular strike Jefferson Nickels which have at least five steps visible at the base of Monticello on the reverse. In order to receive the designation, there must be no disturbance of the steps due to strike weakness, contact marks, or planchet problems. Full Steps...

Inspector43 and Martha Lynn like this.
  4. Lehigh96

You say the steps are broken, tell me where?

5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Above the T and C in Monticello is what I'm seeing but I'm no expert.

John Burgess and coinup like this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

The lowest left area of the steps doesn't look right to me, but I'm curious on others thoughts

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Every where and worn too

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Bottom two steps on left side, above the “T.” Small, but a break, as I see it.

coinup likes this.
  10. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Close but no cigar. See Your modified photo below. Steps must have no interruptions period. tSFYnoE.jpg My citation is a response I received from an auction house after they viewed attached photos I sent. I believed them. And other publications too....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Mike Davis and eddiespin like this.
  11. Lehigh96

There is bridging above the T and C between the 5th & 6th step, but NGC & PCGS only require 5 full steps.

Everywhere is not an answer and the coin came straight from a mint set, it isn't circulated. Tell me exactly where you see a break in the steps.

The area that you highlighted in the red box is shows clear bridging of the 5th and 6th steps, as @beaver96 also pointed out, however the TPGs only require 5 full steps to qualify for the designation.

Regarding the statement that "steps must have no interruptions period", that might be what the books say, but in reality, PCGS will allow shallow marks that traverse the steps as long as they determine that the mark doesn't fully break the continuity of the steps.

12. Lehigh96

Ok, but why? Where is the bridge or mark that interrupts the steps and disqualifies the coin from getting FS?

13. Martha Lynn

14. Martha Lynn

I didn't quote that from a book. I stated that was a response I received back from an auction house that I submitted pics to. And further believe that from reading. I thought I had a Jefferson full step . That is why I sent photos to Stacks Bowers Auction house. They were cool about it , told me what I had, and said not to hesitate if I find something else I may run across. I got the old close but no cigar bit too ! I have continued to send them pics occasionally.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Mike Davis likes this.
  15. coinup

coinup Junior Member

I concur on lower left broken lines.......

16. Lehigh96

I understand that, but the auction house gave you what I consider a "book response." In practice, it isn't that simple. I have seen hundreds of coins with steps similar to this coin obtain the FS designation from PCGS.

My broader point is that the standard that the auction house quoted you "steps must have no interruptions period" is flat out wrong when dealing with PCGS's application of the Full Step designation. I have quoted below PCGS's own written standard from the PCGS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO COIN GRADING AND COUNTERFEIT DETECTION.

"Full Steps (FS) is the designation following the numerical grade of some regular strike uncirculated Jefferson Nickels that have at least five separated steps (lines) at the base of Monticello. Any major disturbance or interruption of those steps or lines, whether caused by contact, planchet problems, or another source, will result in the coin's not being designated FS. Only the slightest weakness on any step (line) is allowed for the designation."

PCGS plainly admits in their own standards that disturbances of the steps are allowed as long as they are slight. I don't mind that people think the coin isn't full steps, but I am trying to get them to tell me exactly where they see a disturbance so we can then discuss whether or not the severity of the disturbance is disqualifying or not. Personally, I give the coin only a 50/50 chance at full steps, and I will explain my reasons for that a little later in the thread.

17. Lehigh96

Did you see my explanation as to why that isn't disqualifying?

18. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

From PCGS....probably

19. coinup

coinup Junior Member

You asked...that's my opinion.

20. Lehigh96

Now I'm asking a follow up question, did you see my explanation as to why that isn't disqualifying?

21. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

The area of the 3rd and 4th step down above the T and C. I can only count 3 maybe 4 steps anywhere in that area. In my humble opinion that area is a major disturbance or interruption. Just the way I see it.

Mountain Man and Martha Lynn like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted