Jefferson Nickel/PCGS FS designation question.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rickmp, May 17, 2012.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

When PCGS grades a Jefferson Nickel MS**FS, what, exactly, does "FS" mean? 5 full steps or 6 full steps?
    In particular, on a 1972D Jefferson.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

PCGS considers anything with at least 5 full steps eligible for FS designation.

PCGS:
    "Full Steps (FS) is the designation following the numerical grade of some regular-strike MS60 or higher Jefferson nickels that have at least five separated steps (lines) at the base of Monticello."

4. rickmp

Thanks for that, Greg.
    I recently sent a 1972D Jeff off to NGC. It came back MS66 5FS. No pics yet because it was just shipped today. I'm trying to figure out a value.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In other words it's like the glass is full - almost ;)

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh nice! That is not an easy year to get FS, in any grade.
    I would estimate the value to be around $225 depending on the eye appeal of the nickel. Maybe even more if some people are fighting over it.

7. rickmp

It has no toning and great luster. NGC pics are lousy. I'll put up my own (hopefully better) pics as soon as it comes back.

8. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

This is where PCGS and NGC differ, right? PCGS will just list FS, while NGS will go a step further and list the number for FS.

Either way, I can't wait to see pics, sounds like a really good submission!

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Like a 75% FBL? ;)

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

PCGS does not recognize 6 full steps. They have only one designation (FS) which means at least 5 full steps.

11. rickmp

Very informative! Thank you.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes. But that is because until just a few years ago NGC would not assign the FS designation unless ALL of the steps were full, all 6 of them. But eventually NGC gave into to their customers and changed their grading policy to where they would assign either a 5 or a 6 step designation.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

February 16th, 2004 to be exact.

14. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This is my very first MS nickel. Full bands / full head / even full bell lines seem obvious to me. Full steps on the other hand! I am going cross eyes trying to count them and decide if they are complete or not, damaged or not, bridged or not. I can't believe this is what determines a strong strike or not, seems impossible without significant magnification.

Someone point me in the correct direction, the link mentioned in post 9 is now dead.

nickel rev.jpg

Does this coin look fullsteps to you?

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

no. There are far too many marks across the steps regardless of how complete they are.

You should read the article that Lehigh linked to in post #9. It explains it pretty well

16. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

He said that link is dead.

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

here try this:

this is from a thread on this very forum. Not only is it a good link, but I think a better explanation.

18. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Yeah, I think I agree with you, BUT, take a look at what PCGS says:

1944 5c obv pcgs.jpg 1944 5c rev pcgs.jpg

to show colors:

1944 5c obv 2 pcgs.jpg

I think if I ever get into jeffersons, I am not going to get hung up on FS/non-FS.

p.s, This is the same coin in question from post #13.

Draft saved Draft deleted