Jefferson nickel metal value down.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by elaine 1970, Jun 19, 2007.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

jeff nickel

jeff nickel was downed 30% from its high. that is a lot. but jeff is still 40% above face value.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

jefferson nickel

with stock market downed. gold and silver affected too. nickel price also crushed. jefferson nickel face value dipped to $0.068 from $0.10.

4. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

He should also call his lawyer for a quote on legal fees for when he gets arrested. It is illegal to melt nickels for scrap/recycling.

5. elaine 1970

nickel price dipped and sliced half

jefferson nickel downed from $0.10 a piece to $0.0634. nickel price hit a high of $25.00 per pound. now it was only $12.28 per pound.

6. elaine 1970

jefferson nickel downed

jefferson nickel downed to $0.0575 from a high of $0.10 each. now we can start using jefferson nickels. because its bullion price is already near face value.

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Nickel ain't silver.

8. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Ahhh. Everyone mark this page. Let's move forward to Autumn of 2010. There are no more nickels being made of the old composition - now its somthing that has like 5% nickel. They've been out of production for a year and GUESS WHAT? You can't find one of the good old fashioned nickels anywhere. They have been sucked out of circulation.

Now it's just a question to wait for the melting ban to be lifted.

I don't see huge profits with nickel - but a nickel will always be worth more than 5 cents - now, and in the future.

I'm kind of old, but if I were a YN, I'd be going to the bank buying rolls of nickels and putting them in the back of my closet. Boring, I know. In fact, VERY boring. But you'll reap the benefits and you can tell your grandkids when nickels were actually sort of made out of nickel.

Once again, nothing to lose - you're saving things at FACE VALUE... You can always go back to the bank and get your money back.

WHAT A DEAL!!! :)

9. Topher

Topher New Member

That's what I'm doing with pre-1982 Canadian nickels. They are pure nickel, and as such, are worth more than the American nickel. I even know of a dealer that is currently buying them at $0.10 each, which is still less than melt value. I could double my money today, but I'm hoping to put away a bunch of boxes of them before I cash in.

10. elaine 1970

metal downed from record

jefferson nickel reached as high as $0.10 or double its face value. now it is only $0.06.

lincoln cent is now only $0.006 or less than face value. few months ago. it passed its face value.

lincoln cent dated 1981 and before traded around $0.02 or double its face value.

11. elaine 1970

steel nickel

steel nickel for the future is quite ugly. why not plated with cu-nickel?. like the canadian nickel. currrent melt value is about $0.0643 each. the cent is o.k. exactly the canadian way. steel plated with copper.

12. elaine 1970

it's near face value

the jefferson nickel melting value is near face value. right now a nickel worth $0.053 intrinsic value. its highest recorded value is around $0.10 each. while the lincoln cent worth $0.005. half of its face value only. the mint not even have to rush to made a steel plated cent and nickel.

13. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Ummm. There's a problem with that logic. If a quarter actually had $0.25 worth of metal in it, do you actually think the government would keep minting them? You make coins that cost very, very little to make otherwise you might as well go on basing everything on gold.

The value of metal in a nickel will have to get to about 1 cent before talk of changing the composition will stop.

P.S. I don't hoard so that isn't affecting my opinion.

14. elaine 1970

us dollar equal to canadian dollar

why not make the u.s. coins exactly the same with that of canada?. steel plated with nickel.
    the mint can change cent, nickel, dime, quarter, the same with canada. and maintain the sizes.

15. elaine 1970

jefferson nickel

jefferson nickel almost touch its intrinsic value of $0.05. as of this writing, it worth $0.0506 each.

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Why do people think it's a bad thing if coins actually have intrinsic value? What makes worthless slugs preferable?

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Because as soon as circulating coins have more intrinsic value than face value they will be removed from circulation by people like those here on this forum.

Example -

18. elaine 1970

break face value

jefferson break face value for the first time today. now intrinsic value at $0.0493. while the lincoln cent now worth $0.0044. the u.s. mint should be happy now.

19. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Actually I have read that refining the copper and nickel ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica]75% copper, 25% nickel)[/FONT] out of nickels is difficult, and the metal in it's current state is pretty useless for anything but coinage.

Nickels are seen as a wash by most of the hoarding community whereas the 95% copper penny is seen as the real winner.

With the nickel you have to have someone who is willing to accept as is or extract the metals from the coin. Either way the profit margin is much smaller.

The way I understand it is a 95% copper penny is accepted "as is", and melted in with other copper.

20. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

It is now 4.89 cents! But the copper penny is still 2 cents :D

21. elaine 1970

so damn

the philippines custom seized 30 million pc of one peso cu-nickel coin. the container intended to be ship to south korea for melting and convert to computer chips. some central bank or bank employees might be involved. but i wonder. since the metals were downed sharply. the profit might be very low.

p.s. one dollar is to 46.775 peso. the metal content of that one peso might cost a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted