Jefferson Nickel Giant (Artistic) Cud

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by QL14, Jun 25, 2020.

1. QL14

QL14 New Member

Most of the obverse design of this Jefferson Nickel has been obliterated by what seems to be a Cud. At some point in time, someone got artistic with the Cud or can a cud look like this at it's creation? Is it a Cud at all? WIN_20200522_21_14_49_Pro (2).jpg WIN_20200522_18_58_19_Pro (2).jpg WIN_20200625_20_02_54_Pro.jpg WIN_20200625_20_03_56_Pro.jpg WIN_20200625_20_04_13_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Reminds me of the photo of jaws stepping on a lego.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks like all damage, maybe someone was gonna try their hand at a hobo nickel, if it was a cud there would be evidence of it on the reverse, and there is none...

5. QL14

QL14 New Member

Jaws was the first thing I thought of.

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

this is a cud, notice reverse at bottom...
    1982-P-nickel-cud-obverse-350.jpg 1982-P-nickel-cud-reverse-350.jpg

Santinidollar and GH#75 like this.
  7. QL14

QL14 New Member

What's left of the devices reminds me of the effects on a so called "dryer coin" but how is an area raised within the rim of a coin?

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

The rim looks worn down.

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The die that struck this coin broke. A chunk fell off. That chunk is a cud. If it had broken and was still attached to the die enough to strike details, it would be a retained cud. Its confusing in that the piece that broke off the die is actually the cud and the unstruck anomaly left on a coin because the piece is missing from the die, is also called a cud.

Kinda like a doubled die coin. The coin isn't really a doubled die, in fact it was the die that struck it was a doubled die. But the name transfers to the coins they strike.

10. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a cud by any means. Looks like it was going to be Jaws on a Hobo Nickel but in reality it's nothing but damage.

Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted