Featured Jefferson Nickel FS Designation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Weston, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

PCGS describes the Full step designation as follows:
    Jefferson Nickels. MS60 or better, at least five complete steps must appear on Monticello. Any steps that join or fuse together, whether created that way or subsequently damaged, cannot be considered for the Full Steps designation.

Now, I understand that. But upon further inspection/comparison before I send one of mine to them, I have found that a lot of their coins designated as FS do in fact have minor flaws on the steps. I was checking out the 1946 S FS nickels on PCGS coinfacts and even on their featured coins, they have minor step issues. Check out the pic below(1946 S MS66FS) all the way to the left of the stairs. So this raises my question of, how strict are they about the FS designation? 25155023_29343552_2200.jpg

Below is a picture of mine. What do you guys think? Sorry for the bad picture. Regardless how the picture looks, the steps are completely full, except for that nick right in the middle. After comparing it to the designated FS example above, I don't really know anymore! photo-2.JPG

geekpryde and CoinMike747 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

This may help. The entire reverse of the coin... photo 1 copy 3.JPG

spirityoda, geekpryde and CoinMike747 like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There can be marks on the steps and the coin still given the FS designation. The disqualifier is when a contact mark breaks a step or bridges/covers more than 1 step.

Your coin, there at least 3 marks that break the steps. So no, it is not an FS coin.

mainer020648 and geekpryde like this.
  5. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

You don't think the graded one spans more than one step? With a few smaller ones also. I'm not trying to argue. This is just my first real encounter with sending a jefferson nickel in!

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

There's no argument from me . . . the mark on the certified coin definitely breaks more than just a single step.

This goes to what I've written before, about the services value-grading coins to hit what they feel is a fair assignable dollar amount for the coin they are grading. They probably felt the coin above was worth significantly more than an MS66 (trends $45), but not worth the money commanded by MS67 (trends $750). Finding the middle ground is achievable by assigning the MS66 FS grade / designation (trends $425), as long as the designation was plausible. It appears that this may have been the case with the coin above.

This can be seen with other coins as well . . . cameo proofs, Franklins, SLQ, P/L coins, Merc dimes, copper color designations, etc.

K2Coins likes this.
  7. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

I definitely know what you're saying. But it seems at though almost every PCGS FS has some mark that in my opinion(using their definition), I would not consider a FS coin.

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

ALL Jefferson nickels from 1965 to date are "FS" coins.

It says so right at the base of the bust!

9. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

I agree with @ToughCOINS on this one. I think that they are using "FS" when they think the coin is worth more then the MS66 price but under the MS67. I thought that that is what they used the "+" grade for, but there usually isnt a significant jump between a MS66 and a MS66+

Grading services grade coins based on what they think their value is, not always based on what their ACTUAL grade is.

10. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't disagree with you either. You asked for an explanation of how it worked, I tried to provide one. That's all.

12. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Vwey similar to my full-split-bands Merc. The bands were really full split, but then they were split by a ding.

14. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Well heres the verdict from PCGS... MS66FS! Not bad for a $.05 investment!

geekpryde likes this.
  15. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Really bad truview though...

Attached Files:

16. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Just looked and its now the featured coin in coinfacts!

geekpryde likes this.
  17. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Looks great to me!

18. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I agree with @ToughCOINS

Here's my take on it, the short version.
    Full steps are a product of the die quality and strike.
    Let's take away the contact marks for a minute and look at the steps.

Without minimal contact marks, are the steps complete?

Although the second one would not "technically" qualify as FS because of the contact marks, is it really fair to value them the same, due to non-FS, when clearly the second one is superior in every way?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

geekpryde likes this.
  19. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Very true. I was not looking at it like that.

20. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

You got that for .05 cents?? with that beautiful rainbow toning and FS designation, and MS66?
    That....Is....Awesome

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  21. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Yes. Bought a complete set from an older gentlemen who had a complete set that he offered to me for face value! I have to check out what else is in there more carefully.

Draft saved Draft deleted