Jefferson nickel: Deteriorated die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Moonshine, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

Came across this nickel last night. Is this an error? Also, is there a good website that lists the types of errors with examples? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

The best reference available is the " Cherrypickers Guide " . I believe you can find copies through Amazon. I have an " Editors Proof " copy for sale, but it's a bit expensive.

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I do not see any error here. I see a terribly struck coin with a deteriorated die, with a side of post mint damage.

5. Moonshine

OK, so a coin struck with a deteriorated die isn't considered a error. Thanks.

6. phdunay

phdunay Member

Just for fun...

jefferson_det_die.jpg

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

This coin goes beyond just a deteriorated die. That inner ring is definetly damage. I cannot say what caused it though.

8. Moonshine

I took the original picture with my Blackberry and took a couple of pics with my digital camera and finally got around to pulling the pics off the camera. Not much more to say about this coin but figured a better picture is always nice.

Attached Files:

9. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I suspect this coin has spent a good deal of time going round and round in a commercial dryer. If you look at monticello (the building not the word) you will see there has been circular movement of metal, downward on the left side and upward on the right.

Richard

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I'm going to agree with ziggy9 on this one. 'Dryer coin'

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Yep... all kinds of weird things happen to a coin that's "trapped" in a dryer:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted