Jefferson Nickel 1945-D NGC MS67 5FS (WHAT? NO STAR!)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jul 10, 2009.

?

Does this Jefferson deserve the STAR designation?

1. YES

15.8%
  2. NO

84.2%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I have no idea what the grader at NGC who denied this coin a star designation was thinking. Maybe he is a relative of TMoney and thinks all Jeffersons are ugly and not deserving. I will leave it up to the members of Cointalk to decide. Does this coin deserver a star

The obverse displays intermingled sky blue, yellow, and gold with patchwork purple and green over shimmering lustrous clean surfaces. The reverse greets you with lemon yellow, tangerine, and magenta with equally impressive surfaces. A remarkable strike for the issue yielding 5FS, dynamite luster, and eye appeal that is almost off the charts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW: Here is a photo of my current registry 1945-D that does have a star. Maybe these two coins are related.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Beautiful coin Lehigh! Imo that Jeff should definitely get the star designation, based on the toning, and luster (eye appeal).

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

NGC's Star Designation for graded coins

That's what NGC says about the star designation, I think your coin meets those standards.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I like the coin, and if you make the obverse look like the reverse and visa versa, I'd likely agree with you, but that obverse toning is not that attractive, IMO, and they rightfully left the star off.

6. Lehigh96

The problem is that the decision has to be unanimous amongst the graders and finalizer. If anyone one of them dissents, the coin is not awarded the star. My grading group definitely had a Jefferson hater. I understand that coins are not permitted to have any distracting spots, blemishes, or toning that approaches black. Some of the patchwork toning on the obverse is dark, but it is not black and although there is some minor spotting, I don't consider it distracting. Rather, I would use the word original as the descriptor.

7. Lehigh96

Is it that the toning schemes are completely different or that you just don't like the obverse toning? In hand, the obverse is much more powerful than the reverse. I will admit that the obverse pattern could be an acquired taste, but the reverse should carry the coin if the obverse is not the grader's cup of tea.

Overall, this coin is more attractive than my current coin and I may just put it in my registry set despite the loss in registry points. I have already done the same with my 1943-P NGC MS65 FS Doubled Eye Variety that only gets 12 points. This switch would cost me 71 points, but I would still be in 4th place.

8. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I think this is where they really leave themselves open, it says OR, so technically any coin that has "characteristics that distinguish them from other coins of the same technical grade", according to their synopsis should receive the star designation. Now I know the NGC graders are much more conservative in giving out the star designation, so maybe they should change that or, to a and, because that coin Jeff definitely has characteristics that distinguish it from other 67s. Of course I'm probably being to literal of their synopsis :D, still a great coin. Are you thinking about sending it in for a re-evaluation?

9. Lehigh96

Most Jefferson Nickels are white and rather generic in overall appearance. I have very few untoned Jefferson's in my collection (real surprise huh). However, I aslo do not feel that toning in itself warrants a star designation. The coin must have attractive toning in combination with superb luster that makes the color "pop" off the coin. I aslo agree that distracting spots and toning that approaches black should negate the star designation. Here is a photo of my 1945-D from my MS66 MAX registry set. While extremely attractive in hand, there is no way this coin should get the star designation. Compare both coins side by side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I doubt very much that I would resubmit the coin for the star designation. I am just too lazy. However, the number of coins that I have that I think are "no brainer" star coins is growing all the time. They didn't give this coin a star either. I have no idea what they were thinking.

[​IMG]

:mad:

10. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I think the reverse deserves a star, but the obverse kills it - IMO.

Also, I think the one you posted with a star, doesn't deserve it. lol

But no hard feelings, I can't figure out the Star-System. I've seen plenty of coins without it that I think should get it, and vice versa.

edit: that last one you posted, the 42-S, I think that one should have.

11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

1942 S MS67 and 1945 D MS66 are more deserving of the star than the 1945 D MS67 5 FS. I have to say the 1945 D MS67 has the ugliest obverse toning I've seen, those purple spots just throw me off, but the reverse has beautiful toning.
    The 1945 D MS66 has more attractive toning, than the the 1945 D MS67, but I don't think either deserve the star. The 1942 S MS67, has attractive toning, I'd give that a star before the other two.

P.S. Yes the grader at NGC who graded all three of those coins, and any other of your toned jeffersons you may own, without a star, was my relative :D
    LOL

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1945-d

Black carbon spot knock the star away.
    but still a very nice toner!

13. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

Paul,

I am sorry but I don't think either of the top coins you posted should have stars.
    The first one I like the reverse but the obverse is lacking on the eye appeal IMO.
    The second one has a very nice reverse but I don't like the black spot and the streaking affect obverse.

The 1942-S is more than deserving of a star IMO. Awesome Coin!!

But then again I don't own a single star coin so my opinion is not worth much.

14. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would say no - the toning isn't eye appealing at all. The dark spots on the front, and then the specks all over the head and area up there...just kills it.

Speedy

15. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I concur 100% with Mag on this. And I will add the infamous quote that I live by.

"beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Given these criteria...

from a technical standpoint if you are looking at a "star or no star" based on NGC's guidelines that means that the coin must be close to the next designation. For this coin it must be:

1) close to MS-68 (which IMHO it is not)

or

2) close to 6 FS (which it also is not)

Given the criteria listed by NGC in this previous post, I don't believe that the coin would merit the star.

17. mikenoodle

I also wanted to add that this discussion seems to be talking about eye appeal and whether or not the coins merit stars based on eye appeal, when from the synopsis from NGC eye appeal is not mentioned. It merely speaks of a coin being cloe to the next designation as to a star or not.

Personally I think that the 1942-S deserves the star simply because I think that it could have graded 68, but from the pics that is just impossible to tell. The surface is very clean though and "star" would be my first impression, but not due to eye appeal but rather it's grade.

18. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

I think you need to re-read what a NGC star is!!

19. mikenoodle

I sit corrected. Thanks Jaime, I missed that first sentence, and it makes all the difference!

20. Leadfoot

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I just don't find the toning on the obverse attractive at all. Since the obverse is the more important side of the coin, that's the side that generally makes or breaks a coin. If you look at other NGC * coins that have the spectacular toning on the reverse, very few, if any, have unattractive toning on the obverse. Thus my comment above.

If you like it, that's all that matters. You're not buying coins for me, you're buying them for you -- and registry points be damned! :)

21. Leadfoot

p.s. your registry set is better than those above you, in my opinion. People (or at least this person) don't judge registry sets by their points, they judge them by how they LOOK. And your set is quite a looker!

Draft saved Draft deleted