Jefferson Davis' CSA Half

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by longnine009, Dec 17, 2014.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I saw that! One of my dream coins. Especially this one with its great history!!

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll bet it's going to bring big bucks.

5. longnine009

I believe it's also the John Ford half that sold for 632k in the Stack's auction. I hope it does well-I love the CSA half.

jello and treylxapi47 like this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Wow, amazing provenance.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It's interesting, many folks go nuts over this issue or the opportunity to possibly own it, but they have done nothing for me. Please note that I could also never even attempt to own such an expensive coin, but they have still always left me cold.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I agree. The design is not at all attractive. While I appreciate the great rarity of it, it's ugly as sin.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have a question. Why would someone go through the effort of getting a CAC sticker on this? Isn't what the coin IS, and who's it WAS, the only thing that is important? Who the heck cares if CAC thinks the coin, "is correctly graded"?

For some reason, an epicly historical coin like this, residing in a TPG slab with a CAC bean completely strikes me as over the top ludicrous. What is next, housing the Declaration of Independence in a PMG slab?

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I myself question the provenance of the coin, given that it was allegedly stolen from Davis after the war. It could be one of the other three examples.

11. George Corell

George Corell Member

The story accompanying this coin is pure, unadulterated fiction! The provenance goes no farther back than the person John Ford bought the coin from. Memminger never ordered this coin struck, in fact it was struck inspite of his instructions to the contrary. Jefferson Davis never had or likely ever saw the half dollar coin, hence it was not taken from Varina Davis's luggage at Hampton Roads in 1865. The coin was not struck in April, but in late May of 1861. I can document every statement I just made! It is absolutely frustrating beyond belief trying to stop the myths of Confederate coinage. Likewise, contrary to NGC' s grade the coin was never struck in proof.

princeofwaldo likes this.
  12. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

I am in plastic and no one will ever hold me again............ HA HA HA Ha

13. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

"Save your Confederate Money as the South shall rise again"

J_Davis_Battlefield Token_2015.JPG

bearze34, coinzip and Mainebill like this.
  14. longnine009

deacon2828, jlogan and Mainebill like this.
  15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I dern tootin thinking of havin' this little varmint authentipated into a plastic slab an' makin' up a good story to booty:

[​IMG]

Mainebill and McBlzr like this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Legally change your name to Jefferson Davis, then pay to have pedigreed.

17. longnine009

18. George Corell

George Corell Member

EXACTLY what provenance? The pedigree goes back no farther than mid twentieth century! Btw, from the available evidence this coin is either the Riddell or Ames specimen. Highly unlikely to be the government specimen. That coin is the one presently mis-attributed as the Ames specimen, presently in the Newman collection.

19. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Anyone notice they said it was graded by PCGS but the picture is of an NGC holder?

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Some stupid initialized organisation gradipated it. I was thinking of having mine graded by my own "Crappy Coin Grading Service".

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Jeff Davis isn't good enough for you?

Draft saved Draft deleted