Jefferson and Lincoln on the same Nickle

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lady D, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Lady D

Lady D Member

John Burgess likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Could you please post pictures in full size. Many members will not open a link in case of viruses and you will get more people viewing and therefore more replies to your question

John Burgess and Mountain Man like this.
  4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

yes this please. it's as easy as a drag and drop on your desktop to this typing window :) full pictures are preferable over the thumbnail option... mostly because we are all lazy and don't like closing picture windows.

expat likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @Lady D. As stated, and a sore point for me, posting Full Image photos is a good idea. Here is my spiel.
    You should always post FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and is easily enlarged by clicking on it. Always show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows, and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know how to play golf, so I don't do links.

George McClellan, Kentucky and expat like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

@Lady D this is what they are talking about...welcome to CT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Well I don't see what @Lady D is seeing saying she sees Lincoln. But it is interesting.

9. Lady D

Lady D Member

I start at the N I see Lincoln's whole face, well, his side of his face just like on the penny. His lips are almost even with Jefferson's eye level.

10. Lady D

Lady D Member

Happy to do so if I can figure out how. I'll try to post a photo

Attached Files:

11. Lady D

Lady D Member

Thank you. I also think I see a D mint mark from the Penny near the bottom rim of the penny.

12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I'm just not seeing anything like that at all.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think you are mistaking Tommie's hair as Lincoln's profile.

14. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Lincoln faces right... on the US Cent...

15. Lady D

Lady D Member

Lincoln is facing the same way as this chewed up penny.

16. Lady D

Lady D Member

Lincoln is facing the same way as on this chewed up penny. Looks like a 1985 I think.

Attached Files:

17. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

If the penny's obverse were impressed right-side-up against the nickel's obverse then Lincoln's image would be [as impressed on the nickel] facing left. An upside-down impression creates a right facing Lincoln.... I'm in over my head, here.
    Someone left a URL to One Drive that allowed a blow-up of the nickel for details, but that UrL post had vanished.

Mike Davis likes this.
  18. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I understand completely! I just haven't seen anything that resembles a second face. She needs to annotate a picture with what she's seeing.

19. Lady D

Lady D Member

Here is another picture with arrows of the forehead, nose, eye, mouth and mint mark I think I see. 2007 Nickle on Penny Planchet_LI.jpg 2007 Nickle on Penny Planchet_LI.jpg

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin is environmentally damaged.

A nickel planchet cannot fit into the coining chamber for a cent, so even if you think the indistinct marks might vaguely resemble lincoln, it could not have happened during the minting process. Hope this helps

l.cutler likes this.
  21. Lady D

Lady D Member

I wonder how two different metals can get on one coin from the environment. weird. The nickle side is shiny bright, the penny side is brown like a penny.

Draft saved Draft deleted