Jazz hands!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Elagabalus issued two denarii for his grandmother, Julia Maesa, with a Pietas reverse type: RIC 263, on which the goddess is depicting standing left, dropping incense with right hand over lighted altar and holding box in left hand, and this one, RIC 266, where she does not have an incense box but holds both hands in the air.

I had to laugh at the hilariously malproportioned hands on this one! :joyful: Obviously, Pietas is doing a song and dance number and making jazz hands!

Post your coins with comically malproportioned features, Julia Maesas, Pietas, or anything you feel is relevant!

Maesa Pietas Denarius no incense box.jpg
    Julia Maesa, AD 218-225.
    Roman AR denarius, 2.38, 18.7 mm, 2.70 g, 11h.
    Rome, AD 218-220.
    Obv: IVLIA MAESA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG, Pietas standing left, both hands raised, before lighted altar.
    Refs: RIC 266; BMCRE 75; Cohen 34; RCV 7755; Thirion 410; CRE 490.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Pietas has man hands!

ominus1, dlhill132, galba68 and 7 others like this.
  5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Here's Venus "pinching" an apple
    normal_Faustina_005_0.jpg

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Minerva below has a left arm long enough to reach down to her knees, and to make matters worse, the hand on that arm looks distinctly like a crab’s claw. At least your Pietas has fingers!

689DBCFD-165D-48E9-B3E8-360A9AEC9F78.jpeg

Another huge hand:

9DC0FA99-3689-401F-A708-428EE8665932.jpeg

And let’s not forget those Tetrarchal portraits with the humongous heads and baby T-Rex hands.

F861C9F0-047A-447E-8947-71FECB4F8943.jpeg

Jwt708, ominus1, dlhill132 and 15 others like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great weirdo hands. Or is this evidence for baseball and gloves amongst the ancients?

On the opposite end of the hand-size scale, I always thought there was something a little weird about Crispus and his tiny baby hand:

Crispus packjage (13).JPG

Crispus - Æ 3
    (322-323 A.D.)
    Trier Mint - Officina 1

IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES Laureate, cuirassed bust left, spear over shoulder & shield / BEATA TRANQVILLITAS altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX, globe and three stars above,
    •PTR• in exergue.
    RIC VII, 374 Trier

Jwt708, ominus1, dlhill132 and 11 others like this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Such a big hand most certainly wears a base ball glove....

[​IMG]

And what about Juno Sospita throwing a spear with the right hand....but above her left shoulder !

[​IMG]

Q

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I get it. Mars was a macho dude and all but come on no woman could find THAT:cyclops: appealing...wait, what?? I mean, yeah of course it's a sword being held from an arm at crotch level. That's one long arm.:shame::facepalm: Seriously though, love the thread. I always get a kick out of oddities on ancients.
    I'd been looking for a decent example of this type for some time. Victory's beauty on this one is undeniable. And just received my winnings from Aureo Calico. Very pleased.
    333605.l.jpg
    L. Valerius Flacci
    Denarius 108 or 107, AR 3.97 g. Draped bust of Victory r.; below chin, Ú. Rev. L•VALERI / FLACCI Mars walking l., holding spear and trophy over l. shoulder; before, apex and behind, corn ear. Babelon Valeria 11. Sydenham 565. Crawford 306/1.

ominus1, randygeki, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Constantine I 29.jpg
    CONSTANTINE I
    AE4
    OBVERSE: DV CONSTANTI-NVS PT AVGG, veiled head right
    REVERSE: No legend, emperor veiled to right in quadriga, the hand of God reaches down to him, star in top centre
    Struck at Constantinople, 337-340 AD
    1.39g, 16mm
    RIC VIII 39

Jwt708, ominus1, randygeki and 10 others like this.
  11. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

She is not throwing that spear. She is scratching the back of her neck. :)

Cucumbor and TIF like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted