Jason’s FINAL Coin Contest Giveaway #5 **1,100 Post Coin Contest Giveway**

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Jason Hoffpauir, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Jason’s Final Coin Contest Giveaway #5

Contest will end at 14:45 CST on 11 December 2016

As promised lets’ jump straight into Coin Contest Giveaway #5​

So, let’s begin. Please answer each question and submit your answers to me via PM. You are more than free to discuss the questions on the forum and it is recommended but remember; others might just copy the answer that YOU did all the work to answer. Depending on how many people participate will determine how much more of a chance you could WIN!!! The point of this coin giveaway contest is so that you can expand your numismatic minds and find out a little more about the glorious and beloved hobby we call Numismatics. All answers must be submitted in exactly 7 days from the exact time the contest begins. I will provide the ending time of the weekly contests to avoid confusion. Some or all questions were used from the archives of Bowers & Merena Galleries, Wolfeboro, NH. Thank you.

Jason’s Coin Contest Giveaway #5

Questions used for CC #5

1. The Mint Report states that 12,000 circulation strikes were made of this coin, plus 880 Proofs. What happened to the circulation strikes, no one knows? Were they melted? Were they never minted to begin with (was the Mint Report entry an error, or did it refer to coins of another date)? Anyway, today only about 500 or 600 are known, these being from the Proof mintage.

a. 1895 Morgan silver dollar.

b. 1936 Buffalo nickel.

c. 1878 Nickel three-cent piece.

d. 1846 Large Berries (original) half cent.

2. According to what we’ve read lately, the new 2000 Sacagawea dollar is the first legal tender coin to picture a baby. If you like trivia, you know of course that this is not true at all. Years ago a baby was prominently shown on a:

a. 1893 Isabella quarter.

b. 1786 Ryder-9 Vermont copper.

c. 1937 Roanoke half dollar.

d. 1876 pattern trade dollar.

3. There are many ways to try to spell numismatist, and one well-known writer has used the term “new-mismatist,” referring to a new collector. This particular author is a favorite with readers of Coin World and other periodicals. Name him!

a. George Hampden Lovett

b. Col. Bill Murray

c. John McDuffee

d. Clifford Mishler

4. The S.S. Brother Jonathan was lost in the Pacific Ocean off of Crescent City, California, in the 19th century. In the 1990s over 1,000 coins were brought up from the briny deep, most of which were auctioned by us at the request of the finders. Among the different coins in the treasure, most were of what variety?

a. 1865-S double eagle.

b. 1859-S Liberty Seated dollar.

c. 1854-S quarter eagle.

d. 1851 Baldwin & Co. $10 gold

5. All but one of the following statements is true concerning the Central America treasure. Which one is the zinger?

a. The “Ship of Gold” exhibit, featuring treasures from the S.S. Central America, was a prime drawing card at the 2000 ANA Convention (registration: over 20,000 people) and other places, with hundreds of thousands viewing it at the California State Fair in Sacramento.

b. On the NBC Today Show, Bob Evans and Dave Bowers displayed many gold coins and ingots to a nationwide audience.

c. Until the treasure was discovered, not a single Kellogg & Humbert gold ingot from 1857 was known to exist, nor did anyone know what they looked like.

d. After many years of searching the lost S.S. Central America was located in 7,200 feet of water in the Caribbean Sea.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Greetings One and All!!!

We have successfully completed Coin Contest #5 and we have a WINNER!!!

There were several contestants that got all the questions correct but as always,

we can only have one WINNER. Names were put into a hat and we now have one

winner!!! I would like to thank all that participated in Jason’s Final Coin Contest

Giveaway #5.​

@Garlicus
    Congratulations to: Garlicus

· Just a small reminder that Garlicus was the default winner of CC#1. When John Harper declined the winnings Mr. Garlicus was eligible to win the prizes from CC#1 or continue on and try for other prizes in other contests.

Your prize consists of:

MEXICO’s

2013 LIBERTAD SILVER SERIES

1, ½, ¼ oz SET W/COA

20161211_123058.jpg

20161211_123051.jpg

20161211_123043.jpg

Hope you like your gifts!!!!

Please PM your mailing address and I will send out your prizes as soon as possible.

Now that Jason's Coin Contest #5 is over I will provide the answers to each question for all to see. Thank you for participating and hope to see you for in my FINAL Contest #5!!!!

ANSWERS!!!

Jason’s Coin Contest Giveaway #5

1. The Mint Report states that 12,000 circulation strikes were made of this coin, plus 880 Proofs. What happened to the circulation strikes, no one knows? Were they melted? Were they never minted to begin with (was the Mint Report entry an error, or did it refer to coins of another date)? Anyway, today only about 500 or 600 are known, these being from the Proof mintage.

a. 1895 Morgan silver dollar.

b. 1936 Buffalo nickel.

c. 1878 Nickel three-cent piece.

d. 1846 Large Berries (original) half cent.

2. According to what we’ve read lately, the new 2000 Sacagawea dollar is the first legal tender coin to picture a baby. If you like trivia, you know of course that this is not true at all. Years ago a baby was prominently shown on a:

a. 1893 Isabella quarter.

b. 1786 Ryder-9 Vermont copper.

c. 1937 Roanoke half dollar.

d. 1876 pattern trade dollar

3. There are many ways to try to spell numismatist, and one well-known writer has used the term “new-mismatist,” referring to a new collector. This particular author is a favorite with readers of Coin World and other periodicals. Name him!

a. George Hampden Lovett

b. Col. Bill Murray

c. John McDuffee

d. Clifford Mishler

4. The S.S. Brother Jonathan was lost in the Pacific Ocean off of Crescent City, California, in the 19th century. In the 1990s over 1,000 coins were brought up from the briny deep, most of which were auctioned by us at the request of the finders. Among the different coins in the treasure, most were of what variety?

a. 1865-S double eagle.

b. 1859-S Liberty Seated dollar.

c. 1854-S quarter eagle.

d. 1851 Baldwin & Co. $10 gold

5. All but one of the following statements is true concerning the Central America treasure. Which one is the zinger?

a. The “Ship of Gold” exhibit, featuring treasures from the S.S. Central America, was a prime drawing card at the 2000 ANA Convention (registration: over 20,000 people) and other places, with hundreds of thousands viewing it at the California State Fair in Sacramento.

b. On the NBC Today Show, Bob Evans and Dave Bowers displayed many gold coins and ingots to a nationwide audience.

c. Until the treasure was discovered, not a single Kellogg & Humbert gold ingot from 1857 was known to exist, nor did anyone know what they looked like.

d. After many years of searching the lost S.S. Central America was located in 7,200 feet of water in the Caribbean Sea.

One FINAL NOTE…

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the participants of my

Coin Contest Giveaway. It has been an amazing and eye-opening

experience. I will be posting some follow-up questions and input on the

Contests that I did and would gratefully appreciate your thoughts. I truly

hope you enjoyed researching the answers and hopefully you won a

contest at least once, if not I will be doing this again…albeit not anytime

soon. Anyways as always enjoy what remains of your day. Thank you.

Jason

Amos 811, heuvy31 and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Jason,

Thank you for a great series of contests. The thrill of the competition, along with the adventure of the hunt for the correct answers, was very satisfying. The stories behind the coins adds to the desire to collect them, whether it is the coins we were researching, or the coins that each of us are personally interested in collecting.

heuvy31 and Coinlover67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.