JA's LRB's

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Jun 9, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm going to take a cue from Okidoki and post all of my LRB newps in one thread, particularly since I collect quite a few minor variations that don't really warrant entirely new threads.

This is a case in point. I stumbled across this common Valens on eBay today, but it's got a very unusual captive - much larger than normal, well-detailed clothing, and he's looking up. I've never seen one like this, even on pricey coins in higher grades.

valens both.JPG

Was the engraver identifying with the captive? Is he looking up in supplication, or perhaps gratitude for being led into Christendom? Has anyone seen a similar captive on these types? At any rate, it's not a big deal, but finding quirky engravers' variations is a part of my collecting aesthetic.

valens 2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the little fella!

Mikey Zee and John Anthony like this.
  4. John Anthony

Another coin I bought recently for detailed captives (which I've already shared, but bear with me) is this follis of Constantine I.

con2cap.jpg

Another case where the engraver spent quite a bit of effort on the captives and gave them substantial character. On this series, the Augusti, Constantine and Licinius proclaim VOT XX on the vexillum, while the Caesars, Crispus, Constantine II, and Licinius II show VOT X.

Knowing a little tidbit like that helps to explain a coin like this...

crispus captives.jpg

The casual observer might wonder what happened on the banner. Those of us in the know can say that the reverse die was altered, either to correct a mistake, or recycle a die that served previous duty striking coins for the Augusti.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That's a cool addition, JA ...

=> here is my $16 (delivered) bottom-feeder Valens example ...

Valens.jpg

:eek:

Orfew, randygeki, Gil-galad and 7 others like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It's a pity that there are only so many hours in a day to devote to coins. My collecting preferences currently lean more towards Greek and RR, and I can't help feeling like I'm leaving an interesting area unexplored when I see your (and other members') LRB posts. Nice newp!

7. John Anthony

The feeling is conversely reciprocated. My issue is that I can't afford many Greek and RR in the grades I prefer, at the moment anyway - family first. LRB's offer a huge numismatic playground at a fraction of the cost. The OP coin was $20 shipped - that I can afford. So I suppose it's lucky that I find LRB's just as interesting as anything else. I know many don't.

Mikey Zee and zumbly like this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

My problem is I find them ALL interesting, especially those a person like yourself collects and who can enthusiastically elaborate on all the small details, charms and information that most of us don't know let alone even suspect..

Previously, I went in every conceivable direction a numismatist can go--including currency....not the best collecting strategy for anyone LOL

I just prefer early Roman and Greek coinage and luckily I can pursue that passion without going broke, settling for those well below four figures. And, I fully intend to pursue all the other areas a bit more extensively as the years move on---assuming I live so long:D

Great coins JA---I always find your choices and narratives enjoyable and informative!!

9. John Anthony

I'm glad you joined this forum, Mikey. I appreciate your company as well, and I'm always interested in seeing your new coins!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I saw the OP coin and was tempted to bid but I kept reminding myself to stay on the wagon :shifty: Glad to see it with one of us!

Jwt708 and John Anthony like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i always scope out the LRB, just in case. i haven't actually purchased one for quite a while. here's an old unlceaned lot LRB, the reverse is actually pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

If I may interrupt with two questions:

To clarify, LRB = Late Roman Bronze?
    If that is correct, when does "Late" begin?

Hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack here...

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Nice OP coins. You've been building up a pretty decent collection of those late Romans.

14. Bing

You are correct. LRB = Late Roman Bronze. Coins referred to as LRBs are 4th century and later. But it does get confusing when many late 3d century coins are referred to as LRBs as well.

chrsmat71, Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  15. John Anthony

I include the Tetrarchy periods, starting with Diocletian at AD 284 and ending with the Theodosian dynasty, Marcian, around AD 457. The empire continued after that of course, even though it was waning, but I call that period the Late Late Roman Empire. Some collectors don't include the Tetrarchies. It's a bit subjective.

Alegandron, Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. Bing

As I said.....

Mikey Zee likes this.
  17. John Anthony

Hey, you sound smarter if you're a little confusing. :p

Alegandron, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  18. Bing

I'm always confused. Does that make me smarter?

19. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

John is right about it being subjective. For me late Roman coinage starts at Valentinian I, when busts and reverses started to become even more generic-looking. Tetrarchy and Constantinian coinage are more of a later middle era for me.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

the term LRB conjures up types in my mind more than dates...,soliers with standards, emperors dragging captives, vot in wreaths, fallen horsemen, two victories, victory advancing left....that sort of stuff.

so i guess starting about constantine i and continuing until they look more byzantine than roman to me.....like when i start seeing monograms maybe? zeno or so?

stevex6 likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

mittens.jpg

... my cat's name is Mittens

Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted