Featured Japanese Reiwa coins (令和元年)...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ewomack, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Dnas

Dnas Active Member

OK, so I walked into Ginza Coins looking for Mint Reiwa sets, and walked out with an 1876 Trade Dollar!!!!!! ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Congratulations! Omedatou! Ginza Coins offered at least three on their auction web site in the past. I purchased a 1875 from Taisei. Taihen deshita. Any luck with proof Reiwa sets?

4. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Excellent choice! I still need a respectable trade dollar.

5. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Japan is on my bucket list. I have a substantial amount of Japanese coins, 326 pieces from the e-sen and amulets to recent times.

6. Dnas

Dnas Active Member

No luck with proof Reiwa sets in Ginza Coins yesterday, but here's the Trade Dollar.
    45,000yen = $411 USD

Japan Trade Dollar 1876 Crest.jpg

Japan Trade Dollar 1876 Dragon.jpg

You can't see the colors in these two shots, so here it is in the sun, with colors slightly enhanced.

Japan Trade Dollar 1876 Colour.jpg

I like toning on my coins, while Japanese tend to like them clear silver color, so the toned coins are often cheaper, which suits me.

Stork, Troodon and Rushmore like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Considering I have a new grandson who is 1/4 Japanese, I felt I HAD to. Got the two sets for $80 shipped from Japan.

8. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Very nice toning on the obverse. I am looking forward to seeing the brother who will be coming to NYINC. Thank you for the information on the Reiwa Proof Mint set. Good hunting.

Draft saved Draft deleted