Japanese occupation currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by BostonMike, Apr 18, 2015.

1. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

A few months back, cleared out a relatives home who had passed a while back. Came across some currency.

Just getting to this bill. Gentleman was on a ww2 sub around the Phillipines, and I'm going to assume took this back with him.

I know it's occupation currency, and heard the serialized ones were printed early.

Anything else I should know? Or just file it away as a cool momento and pay no more attention.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429393684.195906.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It is definitely a cool piece of history. I know nothing about these but if I came upon one for a reasonable price I'd file it with my MacArthur coins.......

George McClellan and phankins11 like this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

You can get them pretty cheap. I've picked up more than a fair few for a couple of bucks each.

green18 likes this.
  5. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I have quite a few of these too. They aren't worth much but are still interesting.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have some too.

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

There are more out there than people who want them.

8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

In the Pick paper money catalog, it's Philippines #110a, 50c to $2.

Any of the Japanese "invasion" currency with two rubber-stamped Japanese characters "mi-hon" (Specimen) should be vetted with an expert, some are quite valuable.

Interesting scam from years gone by, in the pre-Internet days:

Japanese invasion currency for Malaya was denominated in dollars and cents, as that's what they used, following the lead of the Straits Settlements currency. Scammers would tell you those pieces were invasion currency for the United States :woot: and charge big bucks for them.

gsalexan likes this.
  9. Kentucky

peso 1.jpg
    Here is my 1 Peso and
    rupee.jpg
    Some Rupees and
    10 peso.jpg
    Some Emergency Currency

George McClellan, Jwt708 and scotts1 like this.
  10. rooman9

haha I have tons of these, here's a few. I'm working on a world war 2 currency set. The thing that I found most interesting about these is how they worked to mimic the currency of the country that they invaded. Same size and an attempt at the same designs.
    $_12-1.JPG $_12.JPG IMG_1374.jpg IMG_1375.jpg IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1377.jpg

George McClellan likes this.
  11. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

A few years back I became pretty interested in these and just kept accumulating them. I almost completely forgot about them until I saw this thread, so here's my collection:
    DSC02477.JPG DSC02479.JPG DSC02480.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Kentucky

OK, Peso - Philippines, Rupee - Burma (?), Pound - where?

13. doug5353

Burma used Cents and Rupees. Thailand used Satang and Baht, although its so-called "Japanese Intervention" notes are not considered invasion currency, as far as I know. The "Oceania" Pound was used throughout small groups of islands between Japan and Australia, some of them British Colonies.

Oceania consisted of the occupied territories of Guam, Gilbert and Ellice Islands, Caroline Islands, Marianas Islands, Solomon Islands, Palau, and the now defunct Territory of New Guinea.

(from Wikipedia)

14. rooman9

I think the Pound would have been for Hong Kong, and perhaps a glimpse into the hopeful dream of taking Australia.

15. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The japanese military pound was not used in Hong Kong. The British currency in Hong Kong was the Hong Kong dollar.

As someone already identified the pound notes were used in Oceania.

16. doug5353

Hong Kong has always used Dollars and Cents, no pounds or shillings, even though they might have been accepted by British merchants.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I just came across this thread again and I would like to thank @lettow & @rooman9 for sending me some fine examples of these notes.........thanks guys. You're the best. :)

George McClellan and rooman9 like this.
  18. rooman9

Ah shucks! You're making me blush. I'm makes me glad to know they went to someone who appreciates them!

19. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The Oceania Pound is quite rare.

20. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The Oceania 10 shilling is the least common of that series. It would not be described as rare. The pound note is more available than the 10 shilling.

21. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Had this one for many years; not rare nor expensive -- just a nice radar:
    ==
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted