Japanese Charm with fantasy characters

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, May 27, 2017.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

World War II Japanese soldier protection charm.
    JAPAN, AKITA, 100 mon ND (1863 AD) Fukoku Kyohei / tiger. Iron. Very rare.

Inscription on reverse : SAMUHARA > japanese patron saint of longviety
    Inscription on obverse rim : Kotei Banzai 皇帝萬歳 > long live the emperor  

Although shaped after the local Mito trade coinage of Japan, the characters used is completely different. These 4 kanji or Chinese characters are fantasy characters which does not exist in either Chinese or Japanese dictionaries. Without even a proper pronunciation, they are magic characters representing the Japanese patron saint of longevity Samuhara and are often invoked in mantras or charms of Shinto origin. In particular, practitioners of Aikido often recite or remembers this characters from the works and teachings of Morihei Ueshiba

This charm likely belonged to a Japanese soldier who carried it with him as a protective amulet during the Japanese invasion of South East Asia.
    20170128_234629.png

RAGNAROK, Parthicus, stevex6 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What a beautiful charm. I hope it helped the Japanese soldier return home safe (though the odds are that it probably did not).

Ancientnoob and Loong Siew like this.
  4. Loong Siew

Yeah.. times of war.. hopefully he did or better stayed back after the war and this could leave been left by his ancestors

Ancientnoob and Alegandron like this.
  5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Awesome piece of history!

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Loong-S => wow, that's an awesome OP-score!!

I remember you telling me/us a while back that animals on these Asian types are quite rare, so obviously I "love" this animal-example!! (great lion)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Loong Siew likes this.
  7. Loong Siew

Thanks buddy.. Been busy lately and slow on new collections.. appreciate your encouragement to post more here.. :)

8. Loong Siew

Thanks @stevex6 .. you're right with the animals on Asian types.. apart from charms, only a handful like this actually cast them this way..

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted