Japanese 10 yen coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JayF, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JayF

JayF Active Member

Need help translating the date which I believe is below the 10. Thanks!

IMG_5318.jpg IMG_5317.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

From left to right: Showa 56 (1981), Showa 60 (1985), Showa 57 (1982).

JayF likes this.
  4. JayF

JayF Active Member

Thanks! These coins seems to be very well made, doesn't seem to deteriorate that much. Have to research the metal they use. I'll research the metal and see if I can find a japanese website that translates numbers (in a very simple way hehe.) Thanks again, much appreciated!

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

They are struck in copper. Face value of around 10 cents. Very common to find in this condition.

JayF and spirityoda like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Bronze, technically.

JayF likes this.
  7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

If you look at the technical details, the metal content of a 10 yen coin is 95% copper, 3% zinc, 2% tin. These coins are more red than what a typical bronze would look like. Bronze alloy would have at least 10% tin or more.

I would classify it as copper alloy but calling it bronze is not right either.

mlov43 and JayF like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, calling them "copper" is essentially the truth, though there is that little bit of other stuff in the alloy. 'Twas a minor technical point, since they're called "bronze" in the catalogs, as are a lot of modern issues. I just don't see that many moderns cataloged as "copper" from the 20th century onwards.

JayF likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. JayF

JayF Active Member

11. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I am going to add as a footnote that due to getting some Japanese coins over the years I've memorized the numerals from one to ten. It's worked out quite well.

12. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

This may help and there are links at the bottom of the page for other sites. I find reading different explanations sometimes helps in working things out in my own mind.

http://www.starcityhomer.com/reading-japanese-coins.html

and once you figure out the dates, this page is a straight up listing to convert them:

http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~watson/ref/mtsh.html

The trick sometimes is to figure out which way to read the coins--which varies depending on the date.

edited to add--if you find some with a reeded edge (vs. the smooth edge), those were the first type and carry a premium. Otherwise, there are a few scarcities pre-1970 which are desirable in UNC, but mostly they are pocket change.

13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

The contemporary Japanese coins I simply cannot find in "no brown spots/decent eye appeal" UNC:
    Five-Yen coins and One-Yen coins in Showa 35, 36, and 37 (1960, 1961, and 1962).

Ten yen coins? I can find pretty much any of those in UNC, no problem. A pretty penny is usually the only thing one needs for some of those...

Draft saved Draft deleted