Japan Type Set - in Progress

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dennow, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Nice set! I like collecting Japan coins too.

Dennow likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dennow

Dennow Member

Thanks, mlov43!

I pretty much went after the best I could find on the raw pieces, without worrying much about the dates (thought I’d have avoided the rarest dates had I needed to choose!) The Meiji, since they were virtually all PCGS or NGC were more price driven.

Your date set is a beauty! Definitely a challenge to get them all in high grade...even here in Tokyo! Thanks very much for the link!

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Thanks for your response.

I have found really decent examples of the Showa 32, 33 (1957, 1958) 10- and Five-Yen coins in UNC by now.

The only coins that I really want to upgrade to very nice-looking BU examples are the 1960, 1961 and 1962 (Showa 35, 36 and 37) Five- and One-Yen coins. These are exceedingly difficult to find in higher grades, although they are not keys at all.

Any suggestions for how to obtain these?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. Dennow

Dennow Member

I’ll keep my eye open at the coming shows ahead.

mlov43 likes this.
  6. Dnas

Dnas Active Member

I found the same Toho set album, about 90% complete (but not the best examples for some coins), in a flea market in Tokyo, costing 10,000yen, which was ok!
    I live in Yokohama, and this album sparked my interest in Japanese coins (I've been collecting British and Australian coins for a long time)

Where have you been looking for your coins? I generally drop in at Ginza coins every now and again, but I get a few good coins from a dealer who frequents an antique market at Monzen-nakacho. I managed to find a year 3 (1870) silver 1 Yen at a good price there recently. It was chop marked which reduced the price.
    I also visit Wasendo coin shop in Asakusa, where I can sometimes find a few items.

7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

The one I bought was also 90% complete, although the remaining coins inside were in VERY nice condition, although some had toned around the edges or had turned dark. Their condition made it seem as though the coins were in the album for a very long time. The coins that were missing were the key dates (of course) that somebody cannibalized before selling it off to me. I have upgraded about 50% of the coins since.

I may migrate these coins into airtites, and then into a CAPs airtite album...

8. Dennow

Dennow Member

Hi, dnas!

Not sure if you were talking about the type set or mlov43’s date set, but I’ve picked up pieces at Ginza Coin, World Coins In Hamamatsucho, and the Yurakucho and Oimachi coin shows. The early material from slabs have come from eBay and Northeast. I plan to hit the big Tokyo show during Golden Week (late Apr/May) for a couple of difficult pieces...hopefully!

mlov43 likes this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Not sure if you are into late Showa-era small denominations, but would you have any idea of just how common are, and maybe the pricing for, One-Yen and Five-Yen coins dated Showa 35, 36, and 37 (1960, 1961, 1962) in Japan nowadays? Graded at UNC or higher.

10. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

Great coins and book for them!! I can't wait to show my son these tomorrow as he is an avid collector of Japanese coins.

Dennow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted