Japan new pick up.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Old World Coins, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Old World Coins

Old World Coins Well-Known Member

It arrived today and this is what it looks like in hand. I can say im very pleased with the condition.
    k1a.jpg k2a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

That is a nice koban!

One of the coins on the want list but I can only dream.

I only managed to get a ginban which is a decent size at 17.25g

[​IMG]

Old World Coins likes this.
  4. Old World Coins

Thats very cool looking as well. I have never seen those. I was lucky to have found mine for $529 shipped.

5. Old World Coins

The grade finally popped today.
    Koban.jpg koban2.jpg

Stork likes this.
  6. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

That's nice! I never thought to send mine in for a grade. Came with a nice JNDA certificate...did you get that too? And that price seems pretty darn good.

Do you have it back in hand yet? If you could post a shot with it in the slab I'd be curious as to what it looks like.

7. Old World Coins

It should get back next week and I will sure post one for you. I bought mine from a gold/silver bullion dealer. My guess is he paid very little over spot based on the price he sold it. I bought a Sichuan $1 with it and should know the verdict on it as well monday. Im not sure what the certificate is actually. Can you post yours. These higher graded ones can be price one just sold last week for $2880.

Chris

8. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Wow, I'm still shocked at the great price you got on your piece. One of the best buys I've seen in awhile.

Stork and Old World Coins like this.
  9. Old World Coins

I was really surprised as well. thank you.

kazuma78 likes this.
  10. Stork

I've now gotten a couple coins now that come with a JNDA, well basically a small official folder with a laminated descriptor page and photo certificate page. Had to dig around for the old photos! Mostly an authenticity thing I believe. I would say hubs scored many points when buying this as an anniversary present! Because it was a gift I don't know how much he paid, but I sincerely doubt he paid as good a price as you did, and that was over a decade ago.

Came in this box (which is sitting on the folder):
    1 copy.jpg

The folder:
    3 copy.jpg

Inside the folder, left side is the descriptor (in this case the weight is noted):
    cert copy.jpg

The right side page has the photo cert:
    photocert copy.jpg

Sitting in the box:
    4 copy.jpg

My photo:
    manen combo cropped copy.jpg

11. Old World Coins

very beautiful. Mine unfortunately didnt come with one of those.

12. Old World Coins

Here are the slab pictures It arrived back today.
    Japan.jpg Japan1.jpg

Coinsandmedals and Stork like this.
  13. Stork

That is nice!

I'm not always sure how I feel about slabs on the one hand (though goodness knows I have plenty of them).

But for identifying and protection and storage (okay and authentication) I am super happy to have them. Grade for something like this is less relevant. In general grade and eye appeal I am okay with doing for myself in terms of deciding value--it's not like the hyper-sliced US market. Plus I spend entirely too much of my collecting energy via the internet (due to job/location issues--I'm about a 97% or more internet buyer so slabs help!).

And the slab sure is a lot easier to keep than the little wooden box and folder! And has the notations in English.

PCGS's decision to use the JNDA catalog was a great one. Especially when diving into some of the varieties.

In any case, I digress--that has got to be one of the more awesome pickups I've seen. You got a great value for an absolutely cool coin.

14. Old World Coins

A majority of my coins are Chinese and gold so I do slab a lot just for the ease on my children after I go. No question on is the coin real and value etc. It just makes it a lot easier. I do a lot of my purchases online as well and occasionally come across a good deal like this one. I had been wanting one for a long time but didn't want to pay like 1k or more for one.

Stork likes this.
  15. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Wow! I hadnt paid attention that its of the smaller variety. The one I bought before is 11.2 grams. I didnt realize they came this small.

Stork and Old World Coins like this.
  16. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Here's mine
    20210421_181822.jpg 20210421_181811.jpg

Milesofwho, Old World Coins and Stork like this.
  17. Mrktstrtmyhm

Mrktstrtmyhm Active Member

Awesome presentation! I've recently been attracted to the Koban's and am looking at a few. Where did you gets yours that it came with the box and everything? Having a JNDA tag would be very cool.

Old World Coins likes this.
  18. Stork

Hubs bought that one for me in a shop in Japan, but I have another that I purchased in a Japanese auction. They are pretty cool!

Old World Coins and Mrktstrtmyhm like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted