Featured Japan: CoinTalk's Dealer Directory listings, reviews, and more.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by krispy, Nov 20, 2014.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

Note: This was created as a super basic informational thread about coins and banknotes resources in Japan.
    If you are thinking to travel to Japan you might like to “Watch Thread” for future reference.

Background:
    I worked in Japan for three years from 2011 - 2014 and while I was there I tried my best to learn about Japanese coins, meet dealers, attended regular coin shows and add some pieces to my collection. I also was aided by another CoinTalk member whom I knew from this forum before I went to Japan. We met several times at coin shows in Japan and we enjoyed chatting and browsing the bourse floor together. He was instrumental in teaching me the ropes and because he’s fluent, helped my introduction to several dealers. I owe much to him for his mentoring.

Enjoying the hobby IN a foreign place:
    Delving into numismatics in a foreign country can be challenging. For one, your home country’s coins and notes are seen as “foreign” or “world” and there’s not much of the material, especially of the quality and quantity for purchase, that you may be used to. It can also trade at a premium even for inferior pieces. Also, you may be at a disadvantage when it comes to language. One easily stands out as does a Westerner in appearance in a mostly Asian setting, so you are easily assessed unless you can talk-the-talk, literally. If you can’t speak well, nor know the local etiquette for politeness in negotiation of prices on things such as coins, then you can’t well negotiate a deal, and are often left with paying the asking price if you want something. There are also major differences and tolerances for cleaned coins, certified or raw coins, the grading systems employed by other countries, how collectors and dealers transact and so much more.

Besides all of that, you have to find the material you like, the dealers who are personable and to your satisfaction as reputable and worthy of your time and money. I noticed there were no dealer listings or reviews for Japan, so with Peter’s approval and assistance, he added them to the CoinTalk Dealer Directory. I have supplied information and a brief review of each of those which I had personal experience with and would recommend to others. I also assembled some other information related to coin, banknotes, postage stamps and dealer associations, which don’t fit the Dealer Directory, but which Peter advised me to share in a new World Coins thread.

Who might find this useful:
    I figured some of what I know and worked to assemble could also come in handy for others, should you be traveling to or through Japan on business, for leisure, study or if you are a member of the military and stationed in that part of the world, and into coins and such things. So this thread and the dealers I’ve reviewed in the Dealer Directory contain some general overviews into where one might get started IN Japan. And if you do read/speak Japanese, you are well on your way! I’m still working on that myself.

How information is arranged:
    I tried to arrange the information in this thread, and those in the Dealer Directory in a simple format specifying information about: Specialty, Shop, Other info, Language, Address, Contact Info, and my own brief personal review. In these, I also tried to list addresses in both English alphabet and Japanese characters, especially when English is not provided on a website. If you don’t read Japanese it can be tricky to navigate with an address that you can’t even pronounce or understand what its’ parts mean, even when using Google Maps or when you get lost and need to say what you are look for to a native speaker.

Without further ado…

Japan Numismatic Dealers Association (J. N. D. A.) http://www.jnda.or.jp/

This organization is likable to a PCDA, PNG or ANA type organization in the U.S. They host major annual coin shows and smaller seasonal venues for dealers and collectors to come together. They do appraisals and certify Japanese coins and provide dealer information in something like a Dealer Directory similar to how the ANA does it on their site. Many coin websites are very rudimentary in Japan and sales seem to be more in dealer shops, at shows and via mail-auctions.

Language:
    Some English information is available online. The English page is infrequently updated with JNDA hosted coin show dates. The Japanese page is regularly updated and more useful but you must be able to read Japanese to use it most effectively.

Other info:
    Coin shows in Japan do not require the public to pay an admission fee to enter, nor make advanced registration. Most just ask you to sign in as you enter. There aren’t such heavy long waiting lines to enter. Shows are generally held for 2-3 days at a time. Shows also follow the same general pattern of annual dates that are similar to those dates and venues of past events. The largest annual event held in Tokyo each May coincides with a major multi-day long holiday often referred to as Golden Week in the first part of the month– The Tokyo International Coin Convention, which celebrated 25 years in 2014. At this show many international dealers attend, as well as many world mints.

JNDA Members list - http://www.jnda.or.jp/com/member_dealers.htm

This page is good for checking out reputable dealers associated with the JNDA and find many links or addresses and contact information to dealers’ physical shops. JNDA members usually display their member number on their homepage.

JNDA Address:
    #409 New Shinbashi Bldg.,
    2-16-1, Shinbashi,
    Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0004, Japan

Tel. 813-3508-1701

+++

The Japan Mint - http://www.mint.go.jp/category/eng

Specialty: Minting of Japan’s national currency, business strike and NIFC collector coins.

Shop: Tours of the Mint are possible. Online and Mint shop. Some international mail order possible.

Language: Some English online.

Address:
    The Japan Mint has three primary addresses:

Osaka, Tokyo Branch and Hiroshima Mint Museum

http://www.mint.go.jp/eng/buy-eng/eng_coin_mint_shop.html [ English info online ]

Review:
    Have you visited the Mint? No. However I have visited their booth at the annual Tokyo International Coin Convention.

Purchased from the Mint? No. I don't collect modern Japanese coins.

+++

National Printing Bureau - http://www.npb.go.jp/en/intro

Specialty: Security engraving, banknote printing and distribution of Japanese securities.

Shop: See, Banknote & Postage Stamp Museum below.

Language: Online offers a fair amount of content in English about banknotes, technology, security, FAQ.

Address: n/a

Review: This is Japan’s agency for producing banknote for commerce and trade.

+++

Banknote & Postage Stamp Museum - http://www.npb.go.jp/en/museum/index.html (English)

Specialty: Japanese Banknote and Postage stamp exhibitions.

Shop: May have an onsite gift shop.

Language: Both Japanese and English online. Museum may have English gallery guides available.

Address:
    Prince House #1 (bldg.)
    1-Chome 6-1 Oji,
    Kita-ku, Tokyo 114-0002

王子住宅1号棟
    〒114-0002 東京都北区王子1-6-1

Located near: 5 minutes walk from Prince Station on the JR Keihin Tokoku train lin.

Review:
    Have you visited the museum? I haven’t visited the museum but it would be of interest to see historical Japanese currency and postage on display. Admission is Free.

Purchases from the museum? Nothing direct from the museum.

+++

Insatsu Choyokai Foundation - http://www.choyokai.or.jp/ticc.html
    [ ‘Rising Sun Print Foundation’ ]

Specialty: Information, history and education about banknote printing and security engraving in Japan for the public, and more.

Shop:
    Produces and distributes publications on banknotes and related material, and are available for sale online (mail-order) but are Japanese language only. Like the Bureau of Engraving & Printing in the U.S., Insatsu Choyokai Foundation attends the annual Tokyo International Coin Convention, and demonstrates for the public how intaglio presses and engravings work and banknotes are produced, plus they have displays of historical banknotes and engravings to see.

Language: Japanese only.

Address:
    Insatsu Choyokai Foundation)
    2 Chome-30-2 Kaminakazato,
    Kita-ku, Tōkyō-to, Japan 114-0016

〒114-0016
    東京都北区上中里2丁目30番2号
    一般財団法人 印刷朝陽会

Tel. +81-03-3927-8796

Review:
    Have you visited the ICF? No. However I have visited their booth at three annual Tokyo International Coin Conventions.

More info (Japanese only) with pictures of kids printing, here : http://www.choyokai.or.jp/kaheimaturi.html

Purchased from the ICF? Yes. I bought a souvenir card depicting an historical Japanese banknote. These are for sale online.

+++

That’s all for this post in this thread. It’s just a brief collection of information I hope would inspire some or be useful of you go there.

If you know of other cities and more numismatic discoveries to be enjoyed in Japan, please share them or ask Peter to add a dealer you know to the CoinTalk Dealer Directory. And remember to check out the Dealer Directory, which you can access from the link at the top of the CoinTalk navigation bar, or my links right here in the thread.

Thanks for reading and please let us know of your own experiences, or any corrections to make in the information I posted.

Regards.

Stork, Hispanicus, green18 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Applause Krispy! I don't plan on visiting Japan any time soon, but it looks like this would be rather useful if I did.

Nice work. :)

krispy likes this.
  4. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Annnnnnd, that was my thousandth like! Wahoo! :D

krispy likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One of the coins I have owned the longest is a 50 sen coin from (1897) that my dad got in Okinawa when he was based there - that and the big handful of Japanese coins sparked an interest in the coins from there. A few years ago we unexpectedly visited Tokyo but only for a short visit and I wished I could have done some numismatic stuff there - especially mid 19th century coinage.

Japan is definitely a country I would go back to in a flash, absolutely loved it there - regarding the customs - wow, never been anywhere where the people were so polite. And I admit, I liked the very different food.

Hispanicus, green18 and krispy like this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

There is an interesting place to visit and I found this by pure dumb luck.

In Daimaru shopping center, I believe it was the 10th floor (again, it was really pure dumb luck) - there's not only a coin shop; there's a shop that sells various minerals AND one that sells samurai swords. I know, I know, you think it can't be that great. Wait till you see one that's made about 500 years ago. The color of the steel is not the standard silvery color - it looks like a slight dark grey and gives out some kind of aura. If that doesn't impress you, there's a mini art gallery. That said, if you collect coins, that color should strike an impression on you.

Back to the coin shop conversation - they did feature some small selection of banknotes, koban and pre Meiji silver such as cho-gin which is literally "super silver". And then some ancient Japanese cash coins that you would mistake for some cheap Chinese cash coins but holy cow - they had a fair number of zeros in the figures! And of course, the standard Meiji silver and gold coins as well as some overseas gold coins in particular US. Did I buy anything? Funny enough no. I had a fair number of coins myself and the coins that may interest me would cost me a fortune.

You would be crazy to miss it!!!!!!!!!

Ardatirion, krispy and scottishmoney like this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

GX I believe at least you might know some Japanese, mine ends at numerals, konichiwa, sayonara and domo arigato.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

It's surprising what you can find available for sale in department stores in Japan! Crafts are curated from all over the nation and abroad and many department stores have full scale galleries with regular exhibitions of arts and handcrafts. Some may have valuable antiques for sale or viewing of private collections. Departo are a bounty of goods, foods and unbelievable customer service!

Daimaru Department store attached to Tokyo station is one of several located in major cities around Japan. The Tokyo location is very accessible for most travelers who are likely passing through there. There are many department store companies in Japan and each caters to a different type of customer, higher or lower budget shopping, but all very well rounded in their offerings.

Here is a link to the floor GX is talking about, from the English floor guide:

10F Art / Jewels and Ornaments, Clock, Glasses / Kimono / TOKYU HANDS

Hispanicus likes this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

First, thanks so much for adding this information to Coin Talk.

Which retailer is the best in regard to contemporary Japanese coins? I know this isn't your forte, but I'd like to know. I am thinking of post-WW2 Japanese coins.

I, too, have tried to provide information on coin shops in an Asian country:
    http://www.dokdo-research.com/coinshops.html

This is my link to coin shops in Seoul.

Jwt708 likes this.
  10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

11. krispy

krispy krispy

In this thread the Japan Mint for annual modern releases and from the dealers I put in the CT dealer directory, Taisei Coins. There are lots more dealers in Japan but most of them don't seem to have very good e-commerce sites, serving most collectors IN Japan, at coin shows, in their shops or through mail order. I think international sales are limited unless they have an eBay store. I don't think most bother with it though since there isn't such great demand outside Japan for modern coins. Some dealers that may be able to do online sales (though in Japanese) might be: Daruma, Kennedy Stamp & Coin, Terashima, Saganokosen, particularly the last two. I have met these dealers at shows but haven't purchased from them.

mlov43 likes this.
  12. krispy

krispy krispy

Maybe you can ask Peter to include the Korean dealers in the CT Dealer Directory, too! Then add the reviews there as well. :)

13. 100mon

100mon Junior Member

I have visited both Japan Mint locations in Osaka and Tokyo, and their mint shops have a small selection of annual mint sets, proof sets, 47 prefecture commemoratives, and various medals. I purchased some mint sets and a cherry blossom proof set (it was around 15,000 yen from what I remember). If you do not collect moderns, I would really recommend checking out the mint museums. The Tokyo branch mint has a smaller collection of Meiji coinage and pre-Meiji gold and silver, but they have a giant gold bar that you can touch. The Osaka mint museum has a much larger collection with quite a few rare oban and kobans, along with Meiji gold and silver coinage. I did not have too much time my last visit this year to study them closely, but I wish to again next time I am over there.

krispy likes this.
  14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

If you are going to collect Japanese coins, I highly recommend JNDA catalog. One example can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-JNDA-C...a2a6b006891f&pid=100009&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=4&

Please note that I am not the seller.

Prices in the catalog are not too far off with the exception of Japan's colony coinage - Korea and China as well as some military coinage. Most of them can be obtained within catalog value however there are a couple of white elephants which I found out in the hard way. Also UNC coins from 1950s seem to be undervalued. I'm not sure if the latest catalog has different prices for them - I have the 2012 version if I remember correctly.

For many Japanese coins, it is cheaper to buy them off ebay. Unless you are looking for some really obscure coins such as Japan's first cash coin, oban, pattern coins etc, many of them can be obtained on ebay. I believe Japanese coins have been undervalued for a period of time however rare coins have always been expensive and still continue to raise despite gloomy Japanese economy.

There are a few ebay sellers based in Japan so if you are looking for a certain coin, it might not hurt to send them a message and see if they can help you locate it. I have done that for a couple of coins that are just hard to find.

scottishmoney and krispy like this.
  15. krispy

krispy krispy

I have met in person and can recommend this dealer, an American expat in Japan with an eBay store. He's not limited to one area of collectibles, but provides a lot of modern U.S. Mint material to the Japanese coin collector market. As he is well established, if anyone is specifically looking for something from Japan, he could be a good resource.

Arrow Tokyo

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Good to have you 'home' Brother.......:)

17. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks, Ken!

green18 likes this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just think of it it 'way' in reverse........:)

krispy likes this.
  19. Del Ihle

Del Ihle Member

Good recommendation. I have been a customer for many years, and have been very pleased with my purchases. High quality and reliability.

20. Buffo Marinus

Buffo Marinus Member

Excellent little stamp and coin shop located in the Kushiro JR Station way up north in Kushiro, Hokkaido. The business is called the "Kushiro Stamp Company." There is a website, but it's in kanji and the owner doesn't speak any English. Worth a visit if you happen to be up that way. http://stamp946.shop35.makeshop.jp/shopbrand/002/X/

21. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Krispy,
    Wow, thanks for putting this information together. My family visited Japan for the first time last summer and I had planned on tracking down coin dealers but was a bit intimidated since I do not speak Japanese or read Kanji. I do plan on going back and will keep this post in mind.

In spite of not finding any coin dealers, we all had a great time. Everyone was so polite, the food is excellent and there is much to see and do.

I would add the the National Museum complex in Tokyo is absolutely well worth the visit and can easily occupy an entire day.

Thanks for posting

Draft saved Draft deleted