Japan 1920 5 Sen - Large or Small?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Feb 22, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Picked this up today, didn't know there was a variety until I saw the NGC Census (anyone else HATE the new, mobile-friendly design?) Just wondering if anyone familiar with this series can help me out with the variety.

FWIW - it's a GORGEOUS coin!

Japan - 1920 5 Sen.jpg

Thank you!

EDIT: Since it's over 20mm in diameter, I'm going to venture a guess that it's the large size?

krispy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Yes, if it's larger than 20mm - it's the larger size. Should weigh around 4.28g versus 2.63g for the smaller variety.

I like the woody effect streak mark on these coins. Somewhat common in such nickel copper coin back then.

stldanceartist and krispy like this.
  4. krispy

krispy krispy

I haven't adjusted to the new NGC layout yet. Visual is good, but it seems to be a bit in the way as it is now.

Very pretty piece you got there.

JNDA catalog # for the Large is JNDA 01-38 (Small is 01-39)

Large is 20.6mm; Small is 19.09mm in diameter. Weights as noted above.

stldanceartist likes this.
  5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If you only see pictures and are not able to measure it, you can still tell which one it is. On the large variety the chrysanthemum is much closer to the rim above it and the center paulownia flower nearly touches the bottom of the hole. They are noticeably more distant on the smaller variety. Also the style of the "5" denomination is different. Pics used for comparison borrowed from NGC site.

[​IMG]

mlov43, spirityoda and stldanceartist like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted