Japan 1777 1 sen coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Geod, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Geod

Geod Member

Pictured below is what I think is a 1877 1 sen coin. Can someone please verify. For its age the coin seems to be in very good condition with some luster still present. How would you grade this coin? Edited from 1777 to 1877. Don't know how to edit topic

Thanks in advance
    Geod SingleShot0003.jpg SingleShot0004.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

vf35

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  5. Dnas

Dnas Active Member

Yes, it's Meiji year 10, which is 1877. Japan only started minting round coins in the western method of stamping in 1870 (Meiji year 3), so there are no western style coins before then.
    The year is counted from the current emperor. Meiji was restored to the throne in 1868 (year 1).

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

At top right, look for a little "Thread Tools" drop-down menu. You should see "Edit Title" as one of the options in there.

That's a handsome coin. I am not sure the color is 100% original- it might have had an old cleaning- but if so, it has retoned nicely.

7. Geod

Geod Member

The only entry in the dropdown menu is "ignore Thread".

The color is more evident with coin in hand. I guess there is no way to tell if coin was cleaned in the past or if it is original luster.

8. Dnas

Dnas Active Member

Usually, if a coin is cleaned manually, you get dark patches in the recesses next to raised details, which is not evident on this coin.
    It's possible that it was chemically cleaned, but there's no reason to do this with such a common, relatively low value coin.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hmm. Your edit option must have timed out. Edits are usually only possible within the first 24 hours or so. No big deal. It's a simple typo.

As to the color on this coin, there is something difficult to define (with the distribution of the goldish-pinkish tones on the wreath side) that just vaguely makes me suspect a possible old cleaning (dip), though I'll admit it could just as well be totally original, for all I know.

Regardless, it's a handsome piece.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted